Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxers Who COULD Have Been Among The Greatest Of All Time But Didn't Make It?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kenso View Post
    Roy Jones isn't a slam-dunk ATG? And Joan Guzman???? You must be high.
    Roy could've been considered by most the GOAT... I already rate Roy an ATG but he could've achieved more.

And you must be high if you don't think that Joan Guzman didn't possess a load of talent with no discipline especially to maintain weight. Manny Pacquiao was rumored to of ducked Joan Guzman.

Comment

1. Jose Luis Lopez
      2. Tony Ayala
      3. Hector Camacho
      4. Esteban DeJesus and

John Torres with his height (5'10.5") and reach(75") and insane versatile athleticism he'd have prolly been a champ @ 126-130ish if he'd used hugging to further complicate matters for his opponents. Who the hell would touch him with that combo? Well, no proof for ATG but at least a champ. Lastly, no proof that he'd be champ without hugging tho either.

Comment

I would also like to mention Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Comment

Floyd. If he fought everybody when he was supposed to his resume would be insane.

Comment

I would throw in Riddick Bowe, Salvador Sanchez (not his fault obviously but still a big what if?)

Comment

Tyson......

Comment

Naseem Hamed is a good shout I think at his peak there very few featherweights who could have lived with him. Did not dedicate himself after Robinson, too much money too quick, he is career curve is similar to Mike Tyson.

Edwin Valero for obvious reasons was not able to prove it.

Adrien Broner - I know this will be highly controversial, but the kid has not been matched well. I think it is mostly his own fault though as he refuses to dedicate himself as he should and he thinks he is the finished article and he is not, so I have no sympathy for him. The Paulie fight should have been a warning shot for him to move back down to 140 but his arrogance got the better of him. I firmly believe if he had been moved along more progressively and controlled his weight he would be in a better position today. He now looks a fighter struggling for confidence, who may never become what he could have been, lots of people on here thinking he is average and the new Berto, which I feel is unfair because I think he is a hell of a lot better than Berto. If there was ever a fighter who needed a Bob Arum type promoter it is this guy, but he is too stupid and ignorant to seek help or take advice (even from Floyd) which is his biggest downfall.

Corrie Sanders was never going to be an all time great or was never in danger of becoming great. He is what he was, a dangerous puncher with very good speed and average fundamentals (as far as good heavyweights go). Klitschko fans always try and turn him into some kind of myth.

He was a dangerous guy early in a fight, there have been guys like that in every weight division in several era's. Just because he ktfo Wlad and probably would have done it again in a rematch, doesn't mean that much. I just think it is a style that someone like Wlad with his upright style is always going to be unable to deal with. Its not like Sanders was matched poorly like some others, he was actually matched well, and he lost fights when he was clearly in good shape, like his first loss to Nate Tubbs. It was later on when he was not as dedicated as he should have been, but even then what could he have achieved? Not that much more than he did, and for me does not belong on this thread.
                Last edited by sunny31; 03-25-2015, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I forgot about zab judah

Comment

Tony Ayala Jr. he matches what the OP asked, how does Mike Tyson a man who won the title made millions of dollars be considered "not making it"!

Ayala was a tough kid who was polished in the J.O. program than learned to punch with power and was on his way to being a top notch draw in boxing.
                    He was a wild kid who loved to be outragious and it costs him time & money.

Ray.

Comment

david tua if someone showed him what a salad was.

tito trinidad if no one showed hopkins what hgh was.

manny pacquiao if there was a 3 knockdown rule 1st jmm fight.

juan manuel lopez if he had a better chin.

brian viloria if he had great stamina.

chris byrd if he had the punching power of a male adult.

Comment

Working...
                      X