No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr. and Manfredo Promise A War, Seek Respect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chavez Jr. and Manfredo Promise A War, Seek Respect

By Jake Donovan - Houston, TX – As Peter Manfredo Jr’s manager Mike Criscio has pointed out over the course of the press tour for Saturday’s middleweight title fight against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, “All we know about this fight is that a junior is going to win.”

That both of tonight’s combatants are second generation fighters is a bit appropriate, as they continue to fight for the approval of the boxing public.

“I believe I added credibility to my career with my championship,” Chavez Jr (43-0-1, 30KO) states in the wake of his points win over Sebastian Zbik to win a vacant belt this past June. “I’m always going to be (Chavez Sr’s) son, but little by little I’m forging my own career.”

It took a while for Chavez Jr to be viewed as more than just a sideshow and cash cow for his Top Rank promoter, as much of his eight-year career was littered with unfulfilled potential and in recent times uninspiring performances.

Things began to change for the oldest member of the second generation Chavez boxers last year when he hooked up with renowned trainer Freddie Roach. The journey began with a microwaved camp for his June ’10 clash with John Duddy in San Antonio – his last visit to Texas prior to tonight’s fight. Chavez provided the suggestion that he was for real in outslugging Duddy en route to a decision win. [Click Here To Read More]

If Manfedo boxes the whole time he should have a shot to win.

If he stands and trades, Jr. will pile up the points with his workrate.

As simple as that really.

I don't expect a KO from either guy.

Comment

Haven't seen Manfredo fight but will be watching 2morrow. It sounds like it could be an interesting fight. I believe I read that Manfredo at 160 is undefeated if I'm not mistaken?

Comment

manfredo has feather fists but will stand in the pocket and trade. Knows the game well but is sometimes too proud of a fighter. Chavez, even after 43 wins is largely unproven... we'll see who comes out. I got chavez just because if it goes 12, which it probably will and he doesn't get dropped, he probably won't, then they'll give him 7 just bc he's the cash cow of the night

Comment

Originally posted by TheUptownKid View Post
          manfredo has feather fists but will stand in the pocket and trade. Knows the game well but is sometimes too proud of a fighter. Chavez, even after 43 wins is largely unproven... we'll see who comes out. I got chavez just because if it goes 12, which it probably will and he doesn't get dropped, he probably won't, then they'll give him 7 just bc he's the cash cow of the night
          It is a joke that this is a middleweight championship fight. Chavez is awful. With all the training and money spent developing him already, he's about as good as he's going to get. If zbik had any power whatsoever, he would have knocked chavez out. The only advantage chavez had in that fight was that he hit harder (he was about 185 in the ring). And how does manfredo get a shot at a belt?

Comment

good luck peter!

Comment

good luck manfredo, but you will not be given the win even if you do win unless you ko the fraud that is chaves jr.

Comment

Working...
              X