No announcement yet.

Lewis vs Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with Mayweather-Pacquiao happening now. Sure it should have happened years ago, but it's not like we're talking about Jones-Hopkins II here. Neither fighter is nearly as diminished as Tyson was for Lewis, and many conveniently forget how many were picking Tyson to win that one too.

You're right. I can recall a lot of people picking Tyson. Evander Holyfield just about guaranteed it.

I knew what would happen. Yes Tyson was way past it . But Lewis wasn't in his prime either. He just had more
    left than Tyson
    Last edited by joseph5620; 01-22-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      You're right. I can recall a lot of people picking Tyson. Evander Holyfield just about guaranteed it.

I knew what would happen. Yes Tyson was way past it . But Lewis wasn't in his prime either. He just had more
      left than Tyson
      I found this link with predictions. Of course you can disregard the celebrity/non boxing picks. But it is stunning how many in the business picked Tyson. Yet we hear now that the fight should never have been made, lol.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-77799592.html

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I found this link with predictions. Of course you can disregard the celebrity/non boxing picks. But it is stunning how many in the business picked Tyson. Yet we hear now that the fight should never have been made, lol.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-77799592.html

It's similar to Calzaghe-Lacy. I don't recall anybody calling Lacy a bum before the fight. And I don't recall the same sentiments before Tyson-Lewis that you see now.

Now people want to compare it to Holmes-Ali. It's not the same thing and I don't even consider it one of Lewis best wins.

Comment

It's similar to Calzaghe-Lacy. I don't recall anybody calling Lacy a bum before the fight. And I don't recall the same sentiments before Tyson-Lewis that you see now.

Now people want to compare it to Holmes-Ali. It's not the same thing and I don't even consider it one of Lewis best wins.
          Anyone who had seen Lacy-Sheika knew Lacy was a joke.

For some reason many "experts" pretended that fight didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Anyone who had seen Lacy-Sheika knew Lacy was a joke.

For some reason many "experts" pretended that fight didn't happen.
            I wasn't convinced by Lacy but a lot of people were.

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
              Some people think Vitali is better than Wladimir. I, for one, believe Vitali matches Lewis better than Wlad. Prime Lewis versus Prime Wlad finished under five rounds with Lewis hands raised as the winner.
              Wladimir is the better boxer, Vitali is the better FIGHTER.

Since lewis and wlad are alike in their styles, it'd be a wrestling match until whoever got tires first. I'd pick lewis

Comment

Originally posted by LEFTYGUNZZ View Post
                I agree 100% with your above statement. I still however want to see PAC vs May the same way I still watched Tyson vs Lewis. Let me ask you a question, in the first round of Tyson vs Lewis did you not think Lewis was scared? It seemed Tyson didnt really land anything meaningful except for a hard JAB.
                I make such denials with a wink and a snarl. If I am fed up, that is for only one reason, I greatly enjoy high-level prizefighting from the vicarious point of view, and they are not feeding me my necessary diet of great, in-their-primes fighters going for the mountaintop against each other. Believe it or not, it used to happen, when the golden opportunity should arise, and not that long ago. Some matches (that actually happened, mind you) could have been no more perfectly timed, and for that very reason created a quality of buzz and interest that is no longer possible for Pac/May. The quality of their encounter, if it ever comes to pass, cannot be as fine as:

Trinidad/Hoya
                Leonard/Hearns
                Sanchez/Gomez
                Barrera/Morales
                Ali/Foreman
                Ali/Frazier
                Clay/Liston

etc., etc., fights which actually did get made. Pacquiao vs Mayweather simply cannot by the laws of nature and what we have already seen, be of the same value as the above matches. The quality is not as high because the value is not as high. The value is not as high because important questions are left unanswered, or at least unreliably answered. The value of a fight is in what it can answer. Pacquiao and Maweather can no longer answer the fundamental question.

It is not as if history is going to be awesomely interested in which man could prevail when one was thirty-eight and the other was thirty-six, see what I mean? History could give a **** about curiosities and swan songs, because that ain't where its action is, and anymore that is the only action I am interested in, too. I would not buy this fight now, whereas others I have bought. I can always find somebody who was a sucker and watch it at their place.

About the other part: I think they were both scared. With Tyson, fighting through fear was an integrated aspect of the philosophy instilled by Cus. In the case of Lewis, the bell rang and he had a man in front of him with a history of going zombie-appetite between combinations. Lewis was probably relieved that Mike at least took off his giant, white bib before the bell rang.
                Last edited by The Old LefHook; 01-23-2015, 01:46 AM.

Comment

left than Tyson
                  Lewis retired at the top, he wasn't faded against Tyson. Tyson was shot and it still took Lewis 8 rounds to finish him, Tyson took tremendous punishment. I agree though on one of your other comments that Tyson wasn't his best win. His best wins should be considered the Holyfield bouts, and they where close fights too. Tells how great Holy was.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    Pacquiao vs Mayweather simply cannot by the laws of nature and what we have already seen, be of the same value as the above matches. The quality is not as high because the value is not as high. The value is not as high because important questions are left unanswered, or at least unreliably answered. The value of a fight is in what it can answer. Pacquiao and Maweather can no longer answer the fundamental question.

It is not as if history is going to be awesomely interested in which man could prevail when one was thirty-eight and the other was thirty-six, see what I mean? History could give a **** about curiosities and swan songs, because that ain't where its action is, and anymore that is the only action I am interested in, too. I would not buy this fight now, whereas others I have bought. I can always find somebody who was a sucker and watch it at their place
                    The fight isn't interesting anymore, and it wont be made either, because Floyd never wanted it in the first place. It is clear as a day no matter how you twist and turn things. Now we will likely get a second Cotto fight, which is even less interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                      I make such denials with a wink and a snarl. If I am fed up, that is for only one reason, I greatly enjoy high-level prizefighting from the vicarious point of view, and they are not feeding me my necessary diet of great, in-their-primes fighters going for the mountaintop against each other. Believe it or not, it used to happen, when the golden opportunity should arise, and not that long ago. Some matches (that actually happened, mind you) could have been no more perfectly timed, and for that very reason created a quality of buzz and interest that is no longer possible for Pac/May. The quality of their encounter, if it ever comes to pass, cannot be as fine as:

Trinidad/Hoya
                      Leonard/Hearns
                      Sanchez/Gomez
                      Barrera/Morales
                      Ali/Foreman
                      Ali/Frazier
                      Clay/Liston

etc., etc., fights which actually did get made. Pacquiao vs Mayweather simply cannot by the laws of nature and what we have already seen, be of the same value as the above matches. The quality is not as high because the value is not as high. The value is not as high because important questions are left unanswered, or at least unreliably answered. The value of a fight is in what it can answer. Pacquiao and Maweather can no longer answer the fundamental question.

It is not as if history is going to be awesomely interested in which man could prevail when one was thirty-eight and the other was thirty-six, see what I mean? History could give a **** about curiosities and swan songs, because that ain't where its action is, and anymore that is the only action I am interested in, too. I would not buy this fight now, whereas others I have bought. I can always find somebody who was a sucker and watch it at their place.

About the other part: I think they were both scared. With Tyson, fighting through fear was an integrated aspect of the philosophy instilled by Cus. In the case of Lewis, the bell rang and he had a man in front of him with a history of going zombie-appetite between combinations. Lewis was probably relieved that Mike at least took off his giant, white bib before the bell rang.
                      I would add Holyfield vs Tyson prior to Tyson's jail sentence. This fight would have been epic and the biggest fight that could have been made at that time. Two heavy weights in their primes head to head....

Comment

Working...
                      X