Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you go to other gyms and ask the coach if he has any sparring partners for you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you go to other gyms and ask the coach if he has any sparring partners for you?

Our group of guys don't really have anyone my height / weight. They are either 6'6" 185lbs or 5'6" 140lbs..

I sit at 5'10" 180-175lbs.

Originally posted by ElGuero408 View Post
    Our group of guys don't really have anyone my height / weight. They are either 6'6" 185lbs or 5'6" 140lbs..

It would be bad etiquette to go to another gym without your coaches approval.

Ask your coach if he would be willing to organise some inter club sparring for you (and some of the other lads in your gym).

Don't think that just because you don't have anyone your weight to spar with that you won't progress (many boxers / gyms face the same situation). You can learn sparring with anyone, especially if you are relatively new to boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by ElGuero408 View Post

Do you ask coach permission to breath as well?

Ali said it best: "if you wanna go pro, always be your own man".

I assume you are about 160? Then you can work on defense with two 140lbs guys at the same time like Lomachenko in his videos. The goal is not to get hit and endure the pressure with occasional counter attacks. This maybe be even better than some lazy sparring with a guy of your weight

Comment

I do not recommend throwing fists in foreign gyms without somebody being there to look out for YOU............ Rockin'

Comment

don't do that unless you wanna get your ass kicked, your couches job is to look out for you.

do you know the guys he would keep you away from? do you know the couches that would put busted 16 oz gloves on you, but 10oz on there own guy.

do you know who's a novice and who's had over a 100 fights. your couches job is to guild you through a very dangerous sport, let him do that.

Comment

Do it, but expect to be tested. Do you at least know any of the guys that go to these gyms; trainers or fighters?

Comment

Originally posted by mr.thraz View Post
              don't do that unless you wanna get your ass kicked, your couches job is to look out for you.

do you know the guys he would keep you away from? do you know the couches that would put busted 16 oz gloves on you, but 10oz on there own guy.

do you know who's a novice and who's had over a 100 fights. your couches job is to guild you through a very dangerous sport, let him do that.
              my couches have always just kinda sat there not really doing much through time. It sounds as though you've really had some amazingly fantastic couches............... Rockin'
              Last edited by Rockin'; 09-09-2013, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                Do it, but expect to be tested. Do you at least know any of the guys that go to these gyms; trainers or fighters?
                They won't make him in the cup just for sparring contests...... will they?... Rockin'

Comment

It's best to organise it through your coach, that way you go there with someone to make sure you get matched for an even spar, boxing gyms can be weird places sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    They won't make him in the cup just for sparring contests...... will they?... Rockin'
                    haha they'll have a USADA representative waiting for the OP at the door.

Comment

Working...
                    X