• Show
Clear All

• Torrecampo: Pacquiao should retire

TORRECAMPO: PACQUIAO SHOULD RETIRE

By Virgi T. Romano
    PhilBoxing.com
    Wed, 12 Dec 2012
    http://philboxing.com/news/story-78453.html

After Manny Pacquiao's 6th round knockout loss at the hands of archrival Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday in Las Vegas (Sunday in Manila), his family and relatives and some good friends has advised him to retire. Even the very first and only Filipino boxer who had beaten Pacquiao has expressed the same sentiment for him to finally hang up his gloves.

Interviewed by ABS-CBN's Umagang Kay Ganda, Rustico Torrecampo, now 41, believed that in the brutal sport such as boxing, no one can ever hold on the top forever.

"Kung sa akin lang, puwede na siya magretiro (For me, he should retire)," said Torrecampo, who sells 'mami' in Tondo as his primary source of income. "Sa boksing kasi may bawi 'yan. Kung nanalo ka, nanalo ka ng marami, may bawi e. Hindi lahat ng panahon ng laban dapat manalo, hindi lagi panalo (In boxing, there is a payback, if you win, and you win a lot, there is a payback. You will not win all the time)," Torrecampo explained.

According to Torrecampo, he became a Pacquiao fan when the latter scored wins against Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales and even Marquez. This is why, he wouldn't want his idol to suffer another loss if he indeed insist of taking a comeback fight.

"Marami na rin kasi siyang iniisip, hindi lang boksing, congressman pa siya (He has also doing a lot of things, not only boxing, he is also a congressman)," he added.

It will be recalled that in 1996, Torrecampo knocked Pacquiao out during their flyweight fight in Mandaluyong City and what had transpired during that fight, Torrecampo said, it was the inexperience of Pacquiao whom he fought then. And compared to the Manny Pacquiao now, a lot has been changed.

Pacquiao was only 16 years old then, while Torrecampo was 23.

"Bata pa si Manny nun, wala pa experience kaya ko siya tinalo (He was young then, not much experience that's why I beat him," said Torrecampo. "Nung naglaban kami bara-bara pa siya. Pero sobrang laki ipinagbago niya ngayon (When we fought, he was crude on his technique, but now he has changed a lot," concluded Torrecampo. (VTRomano)

It says he sells "mami" as his main source of income. What's that?

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
      Mami means noodles.

Comment

some kind of a noodle bra..

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
          some kind of a noodle bra..
          I would buy some...

Comment

They left out the Hoochi , so he sells Hoochi mami 10 dollars love you long time.

Comment

Does this mean Torre Campo shoots up the pound-for-pound rankings?
              Last edited by p4p-champ; 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

singsurat should be up there too lol jk

Comment

Marquez shouldn't get any credit for the KO against pac. Pac was never the same after Torrecampo beat him

Comment

Well Manny's father has spoken

Comment

Working...
                    X