Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Ems prime was 1997-2002.

Slim Shady EP
    Slim Shady LP
    Marshall Mathers LP
    Devils Night with D12
    Eminem Show

Also featured some of his best feature verses....

Renegade
    Dead Wrong
    Don't Approach Me
    What's the Difference
    Forgot About Dre

He fell hard from 2004-2008, but there were still glimpses of vintage Em on Encore, Curtain Call, and Re Up. He was back lyrically on Relapse, but sonically he ****ed up with the accents, still classic Em moments though and lyrically superior to Encore IMO. Recovery was all around pretty solid. There were no egregious songs, and there was some great stuff there. The production was the worst of any Em album though. Hell the Sequel was dope as hell. And MMLP2 was the best album he's done since Eminem Show. Out of the 21 tracks he dropped for it, 17-18 were decent to good to great.
    That's a good little while.

Comment

Eminem was shot to pieces but I still love this song. It captures the essence of depression the way Kurt Cobain used to imo. Em even acknowledges that he is past his prime and contemplates retirement.

http://s3art.com/files/flash/wizual/swf/mp3/Relaps/17-Beautiful.mp3
      Last edited by punchr; 06-03-2015, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Eminem is an ATG however, hip-hop, is a young man's game IMO, and I think one of the reasons some rappers fall off is because they still rap about the same things they did in their 20s and 30s, and people can relate to a lot of it because it seems real, and you can empathise with what they're saying. However, when you hear the same 5hit when the dude is a 40 year old multi millionaire just comes across as fake to me.

Comment

Anyone who knows me here knows I'm a big fan of Em. Dude's run from 1997-2002 with the Slim Shady EP, Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP, Devils Night with D12, Eminem Show, 8 Mile, and all those dope features was one of the greatest runs in the history of hip hop.

He kinda fell off a bit with the drugs and what not from 2004-2008. Encore had 4 terrible, awful songs. His rhyming wasn't near as complex as he used to be. But still there were vintage moments on that album, and the album overall was mediocre though. Then more of the same on minor releases like Curtain Call and The Re Up. While Curtain Call had amazing stuff like When I'm Gone, he also dropped the worst song he's ever released in Fack. While The Re Up had an arguably Top 25 Em song ever with No Apologies and another dope track in Public Enemy #1, it also had just overall mediocre recordings from him.

Then he made a comeback with Relapse, his rhyming was top notch and the delivery was perfect. Unfortunately he was rapping with accents on half the damn album. While the album had brilliant vintage moments like Beautiful, Deja Vu, Underground, it contained trash like Bagpipes From Baghdad and We made You. Better than Encore because the rhymes but not as good as his older material. But then Em started dropping dope features again. Psycho, Forever, Drop the World, Airplanes 2, etc. And he dropped Recovery, which for all intents and purposes was his best work since 2002 easy. The delivery and flow was perfect, there was nothing too terrible, with Love the Way You Lie being the worst offering. It was a pretty good album aside from the production, which was hit and miss.

Then he dropped Hell the Sequel with Royce as Bad Meets Evil. Which topped Recovery easily. It was straight fire, and Em sounded like he couldn't be touched. Easily his best work since 2002 yet again. But then he started doing features where his delivery sounded off. And I was worried about MMLP2 coming out. But Em surprised and dropped all around his best material since Eminem Show and 8 Mile yet again. Aside from The Monster, Berzerk, Stronger Than I Was, the other 18 songs we got were pretty dope. Bad Guy, Groundhog Day, Rap God, Brainless, Evil Twin, Baby, etc. I mean there was vintage classic Em there. Not as amazing as his prime material but for modern Em he was spitting fire and making dope songs.

But......everything since, meaning Shady XV compilation album, his features, and this new track.....is mediocre at it's best. It's like he's too overly focused on syllables and rhymes. He's pausing throughout his verses to showcase every rhyme, trying to rhyme as many things as possible. He's way, and by way I mean WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to focused on cramming as many syllables as he can into every bar to sound complex with his rhyme schemes. They sound forced. It's mind boggling how someone who had one of the best deliveries and flows in the rap game, even on his less stellar albums like Relapse and Recovery his flow was ****ing flawless, that he can't seem to figure that one aspect out in 2014 and now again this year.

This song is like a 5/10 at best. I'll take Survival over this easily. Listen if you want to, let me know if you agree. But the 2nd verse is easily the best part. Idk why the dude won't just flow like that.

i thought that phenomenal track is pretty good tbh...

Comment

Didn't even know the dude still rapped. I've been pretty much out of the loop when it comes to the rap/hiphop scene.

Comment

He's pausing throughout his verses to showcase every rhyme, trying to rhyme as many things as possible. He's way, and by way I mean WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to focused on cramming as many syllables as he can into every bar to sound complex with his rhyme schemes. They sound forced.
              Yeah this right here. My guess is he gets bored with his lyrical ability and tries to one up himself as he goes, and he finally reached a point where he's just simply trying too hard. I've been for the most part a huge Em fan over the years, but even when he was still killing it past his prime days (prime era for him IMO was circa Marshall Mathers LP, arguably the dopest, rawest f**king rap album EVER, or at least a case can be made), I don't know, since his peak even though a lot of his **** was still technically amazing lyrically, I always got the feel that he was kinda going through the motions for the most part. To me that same fire and just straight up rawness was missing that albums like the MM LP and The Eminem Show (for example) had.

I'm still a fan, but probably more of a casual fan at this point, whereas for years I was as hardcore a fan of Em that you'd come across.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
                Eminem is an ATG however, hip-hop, is a young man's game IMO, and I think one of the reasons some rappers fall off is because they still rap about the same things they did in their 20s and 30s, and people can relate to a lot of it because it seems real, and you can empathise with what they're saying. However, when you hear the same 5hit when the dude is a 40 year old multi millionaire just comes across as fake to me.
                Not every emcee is time proof like say.....Slug from Atmosphere

Atmosphere has evolved perfectly. Slug always said back during the times of Lucy Ford, God Loves Ugly, Seven's Travels, You Can't Imagine... that he would never be that guy pushing 40 or into his 40's rapping about teenage or young adult struggles like he did early on. He kept his promise with Lemons, To All My Friends, The Family Sign, and Southsiders.

Em is still capable of making dope music, which is why it irks as big time fan. I mean he just dropped Hell the Sequel and MMLP2 in 2011 and 2013, and contrary to some beliefs on here, Em was on point damn near those entire records. I mean Groundhog Day, Welcome 2 Hell, Loud Noises, Bad Guy, Brainless, Rap God, Evil Twin, whewwww. He came hard.

It's like since Rap God, he's focused on trying to be ill lyrical miracle and attempting to Rap God every verse, when it's coming off much more forced and not nearly as dope as Rap God was itself.

Comment

I agree with pretty much every point OP made. Good post!

Comment

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
                    I'm listening to Eminem Show right now, how far he's fallen off God damn.... so much fire on that album, flow delivery, lyrics, timing, energy tenacity...
                    Eminem's **** was on point for The Eminem Show. He lost his fire after 8 Mile soundtrack. Maybe it has to do with losing testosterone.

Comment

Anyone who knows me here knows I'm a big fan of Em. Dude's run from 1997-2002 with the Slim Shady EP, Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP, Devils Night with D12, Eminem Show, 8 Mile, and all those dope features was one of the greatest runs in the history of hip hop.

He kinda fell off a bit with the drugs and what not from 2004-2008. Encore had 4 terrible, awful songs. His rhyming wasn't near as complex as he used to be. But still there were vintage moments on that album, and the album overall was mediocre though. Then more of the same on minor releases like Curtain Call and The Re Up. While Curtain Call had amazing stuff like When I'm Gone, he also dropped the worst song he's ever released in Fack. While The Re Up had an arguably Top 25 Em song ever with No Apologies and another dope track in Public Enemy #1, it also had just overall mediocre recordings from him.

Then he made a comeback with Relapse, his rhyming was top notch and the delivery was perfect. Unfortunately he was rapping with accents on half the damn album. While the album had brilliant vintage moments like Beautiful, Deja Vu, Underground, it contained trash like Bagpipes From Baghdad and We made You. Better than Encore because the rhymes but not as good as his older material. But then Em started dropping dope features again. Psycho, Forever, Drop the World, Airplanes 2, etc. And he dropped Recovery, which for all intents and purposes was his best work since 2002 easy. The delivery and flow was perfect, there was nothing too terrible, with Love the Way You Lie being the worst offering. It was a pretty good album aside from the production, which was hit and miss.

Then he dropped Hell the Sequel with Royce as Bad Meets Evil. Which topped Recovery easily. It was straight fire, and Em sounded like he couldn't be touched. Easily his best work since 2002 yet again. But then he started doing features where his delivery sounded off. And I was worried about MMLP2 coming out. But Em surprised and dropped all around his best material since Eminem Show and 8 Mile yet again. Aside from The Monster, Berzerk, Stronger Than I Was, the other 18 songs we got were pretty dope. Bad Guy, Groundhog Day, Rap God, Brainless, Evil Twin, Baby, etc. I mean there was vintage classic Em there. Not as amazing as his prime material but for modern Em he was spitting fire and making dope songs.

But......everything since, meaning Shady XV compilation album, his features, and this new track.....is mediocre at it's best. It's like he's too overly focused on syllables and rhymes. He's pausing throughout his verses to showcase every rhyme, trying to rhyme as many things as possible. He's way, and by way I mean WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to focused on cramming as many syllables as he can into every bar to sound complex with his rhyme schemes. They sound forced. It's mind boggling how someone who had one of the best deliveries and flows in the rap game, even on his less stellar albums like Relapse and Recovery his flow was ****ing flawless, that he can't seem to figure that one aspect out in 2014 and now again this year.

This song is like a 5/10 at best. I'll take Survival over this easily. Listen if you want to, let me know if you agree. But the 2nd verse is easily the best part. Idk why the dude won't just flow like that.

Eminem fell off after the MM album. Thats the last album i bought of his.

Comment

Working...
                      X