Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always defend Merchant on these boards why the fuck did he have to ask about Floyd's damn jail sentence? It has nothing to do with the effing fight. I give props to Floyd for apologizing to Merchant and for answering Merchant's stupid ass questions.

I was laughing throughout the fight as Lampley kept on mentioning how Floyd had blood trickling from his nose. That's it, just trickling, and Lampley was going apeshit over it. It goes to show you how great Floyd is at defense. Cotto had a great gameplan but every time Cotto made a mistake or hesitated Floyd made him pay for it. As much as I hate on Floyd on these boards, he truly is the #1 pound for pound boxer in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetSciencePHD View Post
      I think some of you are ****in high. I had this scored 7-5 Cotto with him winning rounds 1,5,6,8,9,10,11. That's fair and that's what it was. I don't know where they came up with 118 for Mayweather. It should have at least been a close split decision if it was going for Mayweather at all. It should have been 8-4 Cotto at least, or a draw. Mayweather didn't do enough to win a decision like that, and even the split is questionable. Did the judges bet on Mayweather or something? Was is a phoned in decision, because Mayweather didn't do nearly enough to get that kind of margin. This is De La Hoya all over again, he lost the majority of the rounds but they gifted him the decision, probably to keep the Pacquiao fight intact because if Cotto won there would have been a rematch and the Pacquiao fight couldn't happen later in the year. I am as outraged as I imagine Cotto is. He won that damn fight.
      What did Floyd say in his post fight comments? How was his demeanor?

Comment

• Originally posted by SweetSciencePHD View Post
        I think some of you are ****in high. I had this scored 7-5 Cotto with him winning rounds 1,5,6,8,9,10,11. That's fair and that's what it was. I don't know where they came up with 118 for Mayweather. It should have at least been a close split decision if it was going for Mayweather at all. It should have been 8-4 Cotto at least, or a draw. Mayweather didn't do enough to win a decision like that, and even the split is questionable. Did the judges bet on Mayweather or something? Was is a phoned in decision, because Mayweather didn't do nearly enough to get that kind of margin. This is De La Hoya all over again, he lost the majority of the rounds but they gifted him the decision, probably to keep the Pacquiao fight intact because if Cotto won there would have been a rematch and the Pacquiao fight couldn't happen later in the year. I am as outraged as I imagine Cotto is. He won that damn fight.
        dude, either ur a extreme cotto fan, a floyd hatter or ur just delusional. theres no way cotto won 7 rounds. boxing fans today are ****.

i have no issue with some of the close scores, ppl look for different things and floyd does look vulnerable on the ropes, even tho a lot of the time hes clearly blocking most of the shots. but 7 rounds for cotto is ******ed.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOM'S View Post
          good interview some knacks to manny, respect for cotto, great with the hobo crew and probably not knowing it could have helped sell pac-bradley fight...
          I think any good quality fight is a good sell, say what you want about any sport but watching a really good fight will make people want to watch another really good fight.

Not even taking into account how they are linked, which certainly adds to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by mozzer101 View Post
            What did Floyd say after the fight?
            Like i said before, miguel cotto is a hell of a fighter, i can't take nothing away from miguel cotto...blah blah blahh...

Larry asked him a good question about what the blood did to his mentality, and he didn't answer.

It seems like Floyd has his interview responses pre-programmed, they are the most cliched boring things a person could say...it was cool when he showed up over by Lampley and Emmanuel after everything though

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              What the **** were you watching? Forget the audio and commentary? That helped Cotto because everything he threw, even though none of it landed, was madly cheered. Cotto lost the first 5 rounds pretty clearly. You might be able to argue one round going to him in those but winning at least ie. a minimum of half the first 6?

Not even close mate. He won maybe half of the last 6, but definitely not the first 5

Anyway, as per the usual comments, you can't score a fight by how well an opponent does in comparison to other opponents. I keep seeing the old "Cotto should have won. He bloodied Mayweather's nose and hit him with some clean jabs. That's better than anyone else has done recently. That means he should have won". It's how well you do round by round, not how well you do in comparison to previous Floyd fights. So what if he got hit more, he still outlanded Cotto in nearly every round, still hit him with harder, cleaner shots in most rounds and still won the fight clearly. You can't argue Cotto should have won based on that ****. You could then say that Cotto should have won against Pac, despite getting knocked out, just because he busted up his face badly, broke his ear drum and looked better than Diaz and Oscar etc. Don't be ****ing stupid.

You score the fight as it happens, not how it compares to old Mayweather fights.
              Completely agree!

This is why I had it 10-2, 9-3 being generous... even in the rounds were Cotto was competitive (fair play to him), Cotto was mainly hitting air, gloves and shoulders and Floyd was landed the crisper, cleaner and most importantly more shots.

I honestly think Floyd fought Cotto's fight partly (not completely) because he wanted to beat him at his own game (obviously Cotto applied good pressure which very much contributed - and Floyd did beat him at his own game through most of the close range fighting).

Can't see how you can give Cotto more than 3 rounds to be honest, because that the only amount I think you can argue he landed the better shots and more of them, giving him anymore is basically like you said comparing him to other fighters which isn't fair because your holding him at a higher standard than everyone else.

I think the judges scores were fair, Cotto was competitive... but regardless of that I can't see how you can give him more than 3 rounds, JMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                Back to thinking Pac could beat Mayweather again..

completely different styles but Mayweather slowed down and his face busted up.. looked rocked and tired on more than 1 occasion.
                i still dont see it. cotto looked good in there, but pac and cotto are polar opposites in their fight styles.

Comment

• I apologize to the boricuas. Did Miguel ever prove me wrong.

Even though the way he fought pissed me off, he...had a good fight.

Really entertaining fight. The theater experience was amazing. So many Cotto fans came in and by the time they left they were chanting Money. When Floyd rocked Cotto in the 12th the room was shaking.

Fight was worth it. It was great. Both of them fought like champions.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                    I think it is a matter of pacing, Cotto likes to fight at his pace. Floyd doesn't want a fight a track meet so this was right up Cotto's ally.

Manny on the other hand is capable of forcing a guy like Cotto who is an offensive minded fighter to try and keep up. In reality even if he does good he can't keep up and will get forced to fall apart.

Cotto is a quality boxer and fighter but he is not the sort of boxer than can force a guy to limit his pace at least a high end guy and Manny is certainly a high end guy.
                    Yea and part of that pacing is Pacquiao keeping Cotto away to make it a track meet and not letting Cotto use his bigger frame against him. Cotto matched up really well against Floyd tonight and fought a great gameplan. Floyd to his credit when he had the few openings to land his right hand, he did so even if it at times was partial glance. Great night tonight

Comment

• Originally posted by Discipline View Post
                      Bought it some hours ago, now watching a few live fights taking place in Germany.
                      waste of money son

Comment

Working...
                      X