No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Abner Mares – Boxing’s Patient Warrior

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Abner Mares – Boxing’s Patient Warrior

By Thomas Gerbasi - Abner Mares laughed, probably for one of the few times since he was notified that his bantamweight championship bout against Joseph Agbeko this Saturday was going to be postponed due to a sciatica attack suffered by “King Kong” earlier this week.

The reason for this sudden outburst? A question about the menu for Thursday night’s dinner now that he didn’t have to make the 118-pound weight limit a day later.

“A big plate of baby back ribs,” beamed Mares, who was then quick to point out that he wasn’t going to go crazy because he wanted to maintain the shape he was in as he awaits the next call to the ring.

It’s the type of approach we’ve come to expect from the 25 year old, who seems so much older because of that maturity and for the fact that he’s been tabbed for great things in this game ever since he entered the pro game after representing Mexico in the 2004 Olympics.

That’s nearly seven long years, years made longer by a career-threatening detached retina suffered in 2008, a reluctance of some big names at bantamweight to fight him, and a 2010 draw with Yonnhy Perez in his first world title bout. So when he found out Thursday that Agbeko was withdrawing from their bout for the IBF belt, it was almost par for the course for the Montebello, California resident.

“I think I’ve been through so many things that somehow, someway, that patience is helping me out,” he said. “It’s difficult at this time knowing that I had the fight of my life in front of me, but things happen for a reason. I wish Agbeko the best, I hope he’s in the best of health, and we’ll just move on.” [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    By Thomas Gerbasi - Abner Mares laughed, probably for one of the few times since he was notified that his bantamweight championship bout against Joseph Agbeko this Saturday was going to be postponed due to a sciatica attack suffered by “King Kong” earlier this week.

The reason for this sudden outburst? A question about the menu for Thursday night’s dinner now that he didn’t have to make the 118-pound weight limit a day later.

“A big plate of baby back ribs,” beamed Mares, who was then quick to point out that he wasn’t going to go crazy because he wanted to maintain the shape he was in as he awaits the next call to the ring.

It’s the type of approach we’ve come to expect from the 25 year old, who seems so much older because of that maturity and for the fact that he’s been tabbed for great things in this game ever since he entered the pro game after representing Mexico in the 2004 Olympics.

That’s nearly seven long years, years made longer by a career-threatening detached retina suffered in 2008, a reluctance of some big names at bantamweight to fight him, and a 2010 draw with Yonnhy Perez in his first world title bout. So when he found out Thursday that Agbeko was withdrawing from their bout for the IBF belt, it was almost par for the course for the Montebello, California resident.

“I think I’ve been through so many things that somehow, someway, that patience is helping me out,” he said. “It’s difficult at this time knowing that I had the fight of my life in front of me, but things happen for a reason. I wish Agbeko the best, I hope he’s in the best of health, and we’ll just move on.” [Click Here To Read More]
    Now, we wait.....

WARRR Mares !!

Comment

good read, good read. . . Mares is one of the most aesthetically pleasing fighters in the game - he is one of the last TRUE combination punchers. Very good speed, and nice pop, and beautiful combinations. Over time he will master the transition from offense to defense, as he got caught by vic bringing his hands down low, rather then into a defensive guard, after he released a beautiful combination. excellent lateral movement, smart fighter - he "gets it".

Comment

Originally posted by uglypug View Post
        good read, good read. . . Mares is one of the most aesthetically pleasing fighters in the game - he is one of the last TRUE combination punchers. Very good speed, and nice pop, and beautiful combinations. Over time he will master the transition from offense to defense, as he got caught by vic bringing his hands down low, rather then into a defensive guard, after he released a beautiful combination. excellent lateral movement, smart fighter - he "gets it".
        MARES reminds me of JMM

Comment

Really sucks that they were unable to find him an opponent if nothing else just to satisfy the competitive swell that builds up after several weeks of training. It's tough training and preparing your mind and body all that time only to arrive at the targeted date with no opponent.

Comment

I like this guy a lot. He's handling this with the utmost class. Shame he's fighting one of my faves by far in Agbeko.

Either way, we all win if this fight gets to go down, we all lose if it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTown2Diego View Post
              Really sucks that they were unable to find him an opponent if nothing else just to satisfy the competitive swell that builds up after several weeks of training. It's tough training and preparing your mind and body all that time only to arrive at the targeted date with no opponent.
              Here's a quote on that from Mares himself.

“I was just hearing rumors of who might replace Agbeko Wednesday night,” he said. “This morning they called me and said I could fight Darchinyan, Perez or (bantamweight prospect) Chris Avalos on Saturday. I thought about it, but after getting my team’s opinion, I decided that I worked too hard to get where I am.

Fighting someone else on Saturday wouldn’t be fair to Joseph, who earned the right to be in the finals. Fighting Yonnhy or Vic wouldn't be fair to either of them. Why should one get the opportunity over the other? Avalos is a good young fighter, but he hasn’t paid his dues to be in a main event like Saturday was supposed to be.

“As much as it hurt to not fight on Saturday, it made sense to try to postpone my fight with Agbeko.”

By the way, Avalos wants no part of Mares right now IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTown2Diego View Post
                Yep, but who the hell would step in with Mares on less than a week's notice ?

It's not like his corner can jump in after 8 rounds and say " ok, he's had enough, and we got a good workout, let's pack it in ".

There are very few people on the planet who could step in at that level without getting fuked up bigtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                  Here's a quote on that from Mares himself.

“I was just hearing rumors of who might replace Agbeko Wednesday night,” he said. “This morning they called me and said I could fight Darchinyan, Perez or (bantamweight prospect) Chris Avalos on Saturday. I thought about it, but after getting my team’s opinion, I decided that I worked too hard to get where I am.

Fighting someone else on Saturday wouldn’t be fair to Joseph, who earned the right to be in the finals. Fighting Yonnhy or Vic wouldn't be fair to either of them. Why should one get the opportunity over the other? Avalos is a good young fighter, but he hasn’t paid his dues to be in a main event like Saturday was supposed to be.

“As much as it hurt to not fight on Saturday, it made sense to try to postpone my fight with Agbeko.”

By the way, Avalos wants no part of Mares right now IMO.
                  Aaah interesting.

Comment

So close to the fight and then this.

Comment

Working...
                    X