• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Knicksman20 View Post
    Here's a few you should check out:

This & the sequel

ive seen exiled and the election. theyre pretty good

Comment

• Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

Big budget Hollywood flick about an attack on The White House is pretty much what you'd expect from a big budget Hollywood flick about an attack on The White House. It's basically a Die Hard, Rambo, Chuck Norris re-do about a one-man army who has fate of the country in his hands. No real surprises here (good guy white guy, ethnic bad guy, explosions, deaths, one liners, etc.) just a solid Summer blockbuster type movie (actually directed by guy who made Training Day) that's just some mindless entertainment. Don't expect too much reality or ask any questions and you might have fun. 6.5/10

Comment

• Dans La Maison

French film with a reasonably wide release in the UK.

Very good, especially in the first half. It's about a boy from a poor background who becomes obsessed with the family of his wealthier classmate, and ends up helping the child with his maths as an excuse to spend time in the house which fascinates him so much. The director quickly suggests that there is something sinister going on, and the tension is maintained well.

The boy writes about his experiences in the other house, and his French teacher believes he has a real talent for writing. The teacher also becomes fixated with what goes on behind "closed doors" and things start going wrong.

A lot of well-pitched humour as well.

Comment

• Going to catch Evil Dead tomorrow. Open mind and all.

Just hope it entertains. And from what I have heard, it will.

Write up on Saturday.

Comment

• 9/10

one of the best sci-fi films i've seen, despite without visual effects

a couple of college professors gather to see their colleague one last time before he moves to another place, from there the conversations includes history, biology, religion until one of them reveal something that shocked the rest of them

go try this one fellas (it doesn't have explosions or action or anything, it's all dialogue)

Comment

• Saw this back in December & enjoyed it. As a fan of the anime I was slightly disappointed but enjoyed it still.

I just bought the blu ray too:

Comment

• Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post

9/10

one of the best sci-fi films i've seen, despite without visual effects

a couple of college professors gather to see their colleague one last time before he moves to another place, from there the conversations includes history, biology, religion until one of them reveal something that shocked the rest of them

go try this one fellas (it doesn't have explosions or action or anything, it's all dialogue)
                Never even heard of this, will give it a watch.

Comment

• Just got back from seeing this.

7/10.

On it's merits alone, without taking into account as being a remake, it's solid. Maybe walked in with too high of hopes with the hype the trailers got.
                  It's kinda of short, so character development isn't really it's strong suit. Plenty of blood, gore, and some jump scares.

Comment

• red cliff

a war epic from john woo... theres almost no character development save from tony leung's process of deciding whether to go to war with a megalomaniac general (through playing a musical instrument..) or not...

the battle scenes are sweeping and awesome... towards the end of the first act, we get to see the scale of things through a bird flying over the landscape populated by the invading army.. (something akin to wolfgang petersen's troy)...

i found the musical scoring a bit inappropriate at times and the acting except for tony leung is generally pedestrian...

Comment

• rushmore

i think this film is wes anderson's take about the lengths a man would go to shield himself from the unpleasantness of what goes around him in the world he inhabits... max fischer (jason schwartzman) and herman blume (bill murray) find themselves building their lives around an ideal stemming from their eccentric views about life... rushmore school and his dozens of extracuricular activities for max and idle, focus-less existence for herman...

all that changes for both of them with the introduction of olivia williams' character though... it is as it seem that this girl becomes the ultimate common interest and the dynamics of wooing her becomes a great sandbox for anderson to express his cinematic sensibilities which to my eyes are both elegant and odd at the same time...

i think its like a cameron crowe film only it is on PEDS...

classic... 9

Comment

Working...
                      X