Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better overall resume: Calzaghe or Hopkins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better overall resume: Calzaghe or Hopkins?

I am kindly trying to prove a point to someone. When i said that Calzaghe has never beaten a prime fighter that was on the pound for list the Hopkins has done for so many years, he says that pound for pound lists doesn't matter anymore and Hopkins only fought blown up welterweights. Then he talks up Kessler and Lacy land stated that they were better than anyone that Hopkins has beaten. Calzaghe is a very good fighter and one of my favorites but come on. I like this guy who said this but he is in over his head.
    Bernard Hopkins
    81.43%
    Joe Calzaghe
    18.57%
    Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 08-25-2008, 06:08 PM.

Resume threads are for no0bs.

Comment

Originally posted by kayjay View Post
      Resume threads are for no0bs.
      I'm trying to prove a point and get everyone's opinion. You need to revisit a prime Hopkins instead of just looking at boxrec. He beat so many top fighter and half of them he doesn't even get credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
        I am kindly trying to prove a point to someone. When i said that Calzaghe has never beaten a prime fighter that was on the pound for list the Hopkins has done for so many years, he says that pound for pound lists doesn't matter anymore and Hopkins only fought blown up welterweights. Then he talks up Kessler and Lacy land stated that they were better than anyone that Hopkins has beaten. Calzaghe is a very good fighter and one of my favorites but come on.
        As the brits would say "he took the piss" Thats just hate.

You're right, Calzaghe is a very good fighter but BHop is something he'll never be, GREAT.

Comment

Calzaghe has the better resume

Why??

Because I said so

Comment

Johnson, Tarver, Trinidad, De La Hoya and Wright were all on the pound for pound list. Other than Johnson( who was unbeaten at the time) everyone that i mentioned were on the list at the time Hopkins beat them. Johnson was on the list later in his career when he beat Jones, Tarver and Woods all in the same year. All were on the list.

Comment

There resume are pretty much the same to be honest, they both stayed in there division and beat all comers in there respective divisions ranking up a large amount of defences and later into there career they beat some big names. Trinidad and De La Hoya are both Welters though and were coming up in weight to face the bigger Hopkins, Calzaghe was fighting Kessler and Lacy in my eyes these wins are basically equivilant. Hopkins then VERY late in his career stepped up to LHW took on the number one and defeated him easily then made a defense of the ring belt at LHW against Wright who was best at 154, Calzaghe also stepped up to 175 to take on the "best" at LHW in Hopkins as he had the ring belt.

Calzaghe beat a number of former champions as well which is in my eyes equivilant to Hopkins beating the likes of Joppy, Mercado, Johnson and the Holmes. Hopkins has the bigger names Calzaghe has the bigger men. So in my eyes there resumes are on par.

Comment

Originally posted by WLAD OWNS View Post
                Calzaghe has the better resume

Why??

Because I said so

No, because he's WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
                  Johnson, Tarver, Trinidad, De La Hoya and Wright were all on the pound for pound list. Other than Johnson( who was unbeaten at the time) everyone that i mentioned were on the list at the time Hopkins beat them. Johnson was on the list later in his career when he beat Jones, Tarver and Woods all in the same year. All were on the list.
                  The weight a guy is fighting at is much more important than any "pound for pound" list.

You will get all the teenagers, uneducated people, ******s, and new fans on your side. All that doesn't matter. You know I don't count their opinions for anything

Comment

I think that Hopkins has the better resume. My opinion may change if Kessler goes on to do something spectacular, but at the moment that hasn't happened.

Hopkins' resume does make for interesting discussion though. Possibly the only guy in history that was a better fighter in his 40s than in his 20s.

I also don't agree with those who lump in de la Hoya and Trinidad together. I think Trinidad was a very good middleweight, whereas de la Hoya was not.

Comment

Working...
                    X