No announcement yet.

Too many weight classes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many weight classes?

I was curious to what weight classes there are.
    But damn.. there are 17?
    Each with a weight difference of 2 or 3 kg (kilograms)

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Weight_divisions

The Amateur and Traditional weight setups are much better.

Whats the point of this?
    I think this is also bad for the popularity of boxing.
    They should get rid of all the junior and super weight devisions. It is way too easy to move to another division if the opposition is getting to hard for them.

With this many world champions nobody can keep track of it.

People can avoid eachother easily which stops the good fights from happening.

Why did they even implement this many weight divisions in the first place?
    Yes remove them!
    72.73%
    No keep all the weight classes!
    27.27%
    Last edited by MasterWhooSaa; 10-20-2015, 07:24 AM.

Originally posted by MasterWhooSaa View Post
    I was curious to what weight classes there are.
    But damn.. there are 17?
    Each with a weight difference of 2 or 3 kg (kilograms)

Whats the point of this?
    I think this is also bad for the popularity of boxing.
    They should get rid of all the junior and super weight devisions. It is way too easy to move to another division if the opposition is getting to hard for them.

With this many world champions nobody can keep track of it.

People can avoid eachother easily which stops the good fights from happening.

Why did they even implement this many weight divisions in the first place?
    Some people have been asking for the addition of more weight classes, I think scrapping the super divisions would be a good idea but adding in a new weight specification for heavy and super heavyweight -
    Maybe something like 200-220 as a heavyweight
    220+ super heavyweight that is the only addition of a weight class I'd like to see added the super divisions allow for super ducking.

Comment

I don't mind the weight classes actually. You can have guys with a pound differential of like 25 pounds which is very big and dangerous.

The problem is the titles in each divison. If there were only 2 in each division instead of 5, then there would be more validity.

Comment

Even the amateur divisions are better. And they fight without headgear now also. So whats stopping them from putting them back.

Comment

I think there are too many. Giving guys this bragging point on most championships in weight divisions. My point is when these multi divisional champions want themselves compared to the all time greats, who fought when there were half the number of weight classes.

Comment

Not so fast

Now now chaps,

I am not having a go at anyone here however I do feel there is a need for the weightclasses, purely because of the advantage that is gained at the lower weights.

If they want to remove the super/light divisions then there must be a rehdyration clause. Some people balloon up almost 12lbs overnight at Bantamweight, while their opponents gain 2lbs.

If you make weight for a fight then the lower the division the less they should be allowed rehydrate over night. Its ridiculous when Flyweights walk in at Featherweight and Featherweights at Welterweight.

Comment

In mma isnt this the same way? They dont have all these ridiculous weight classes which makes it more special to be a champ.
              Some weight classes have a difference of 4lbs. I dont think the difference is that much.

I dont box at pro level or something but I used to spar with guys with more then 5kg difference and I dont think 2kg will change that much.

Boxing is the only combat sports that have this many weight classes. (I think)

Maybe they should start with removing these first then:

Super Welterweight
              Super Lightweight
              Super Featherweight

I hope there will be a boxing company that will be like how ufc is done.
              Fights will be made, 1 belt organisation, they could scrap unneeded weight classes.
              I bet boxing will become more popular this way.

Make a show like ultimate fighter for boxing to gain interest in upcoming fighters.
              And fighters that are being kept for fighting exciting fights.

Comment

Some of the lower weight divisions could be dropped the jumps are tiny and somewhat illogical. I would also expand the cruiserweight limit or create a super cruiserweight division. A 205 pound heavyweight can't compete against Klitschko. He would get manhandled in the clinches.......

Comment

Working...
                X