Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranking Hearns As A Greater Fighter Than Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    But then again, unlike Leonard, Hearns got KTFO against the two best fighters he faced.

Poet
    The fact that he was beaten by Barkley (twice) hurts him here as well. Hearns won titles in more weights, but Leonard clearly has the more impressive win record. Stopped Benitez, stopped Hearns, clowned Duran in the rematch and out boxed Hagler and these are 4 of the greatest fighters. That's why i think ranking Hearns over him can't be justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
      Hearns actually has beaten better opponents than Leonard, and has a better record when you only look at his wins.

Its really only his losses that put Leonard over him. Which is sad, but I guess you cant ignore what happened.

its almost unfair that the consistant work that Hearns did over all those years is cancelled out just by the fact that Leonard had a longer winning streak. ah well...

both outstanding fighters.
      Erm...how did you come to that conclusion?

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
        The fact that he was beaten by Barkley (twice) hurts him here as well. Hearns won titles in more weights, but Leonard clearly has the more impressive win record. Stopped Benitez, stopped Hearns, clowned Duran in the rematch and out boxed Hagler and these are 4 of the greatest fighters. That's why i think ranking Hearns over him can't be justified.
        Funny how some say that the Barkely losses hurt Hearns. Fact is, some fighters just have others numbers. Well, if those losses hurt him why doesn't Duran's loss against Hearns seem to hurt Duran. I suppose a lot of people say he was fighting out of his weight class. But then, so was Hearns when he had fought Iran. So was Sugar Ray Leonard when LaLonde nearly knocked him out. Also, I thought that the second Leonard-Hearns fight should have definitely been a win for Tommy. When I was younger I had believed that Leonard was the superior boxer. But, as I grew older and wiser I come to understand that Hearns was the better ATG. Forget about his blunder in using the wrong strategy against Hagler. And forget that the first fight with Sugar Ray was scheduled for 15 rounds and was stopped just a tad too soon.

Comment

Hearns nearly dominated Leonard in their first fight before getting rocked in the 13th round and got finished in the 14th. Had it been a 12rnd fight Hearns would have won a clear unanimous dec on the scorecards. The second fight their is no one who can deny who was who's daddy.
          Hearns dropped him twice and Leonard lost clearly even if he did rock Hearns once in the fight, the fight was pretty much Hearns and they gave SRL a gift draw. Leonard ducked Hearns for years and even admitted that years after retiring for good that he was actually scared of Hearns. Remember Hearns punched SRLs retina off

Comment

Working...
          X