No announcement yet.

De La Hoya's choice of opponents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De La Hoya's choice of opponents?

As of late i cant seem to understand Oscars choice of opponents. First he opts for Forbes for some reason

Then he looks to fight Pac at 147 at a time when the welterweight division is stacked and Manny is way too small for that weight class

Now we hear talk of Mora who doesnt bring very much to the table

I can sort of see why he would go for Pac, even if i dont agree with it. But why Forbes last time out and why Mora next?

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by number6 View Post
    As of late i cant seem to understand Oscars choice of opponents. First he opts for Forbes for some reason

Then he looks to fight Pac at 147 at a time when the welterweight division is stacked and Manny is way too small for that weight class

I can sort of see why he would go for Pac, even if i dont agree with it. But why Forbes last time out and why Mora next?

Any thoughts?

He wanted Forbes cuz he could emulate PBF's style. He wants Pac for the easy $. He wants Mora cuz Pac told him to go screw, and he don't want it wit Tony, so he's outta options. Wonder what he'll do if Vernon wins the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by number6 View Post

Any thoughts?
      The Forbes fight, as mentioned above, was to try to help prepare for Mayweather. Forbes has somewhat of a name from the TV show, is not too much of a risk in terms of losing, and was supposed to be a commercial for a rematch with Mayweather.

Pacquiao is high risk/low reward. DLH can make tons of money for fighting Pacquiao, and is much less likely to beat DLH than guys like Williams, Cotto, Margarito, etc....

DLH has fought a lot of quality fighters in his career, but it doesn't mean he doesn't play the risk/reward game. Many fighters do, especially late in their careers.

Mora, well, I guess since he also has somewhat of a name from the TV show, and is probably an easier fight than Margarito.

Comment

Cheers for the reply's

Originally posted by mangler View Post
        He wanted Forbes cuz he could emulate PBF's style. He wants Pac for the easy $. He wants Mora cuz Pac told him to go screw, and he don't want it wit Tony, so he's outta options. Wonder what he'll do if Vernon wins the rematch.
        I think there is a good chance that will happen

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
        The Forbes fight, as mentioned above, was to try to help prepare for Mayweather. Forbes has somewhat of a name from the TV show, is not too much of a risk in terms of losing, and was supposed to be a commercial for a rematch with Mayweather.

Pacquiao is high risk/low reward. DLH can make tons of money for fighting Pacquiao, and is much less likely to beat DLH than guys like Williams, Cotto, Margarito, etc....

DLH has fought a lot of quality fighters in his career, but it doesn't mean he doesn't play the risk/reward game. Many fighters do, especially late in their careers.

Mora, well, I guess since he also has somewhat of a name from the TV show, and is probably an easier fight than Margarito.
        Some good points

He has been in with the best, but if he is to carry on he should mix with one of the 147 lb'ers next.

Comment

He should fight Margarito.

Comment

Who's left for him to pick?

Comment

I'd love to see him fight Marg, Cotto, Winky, rematch with Mayweather, or Sturm.

Comment

I would think that Antonio Margarito, Paul Williams, Winky Wright and maybe even a chance at revenge against Shane Mosley would all be better choices than Mora.

Comment

Working...
                X