No announcement yet.

Was George Groves Crying When...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
    What does that have with this fight. Degale will get his rematch when he becomes relevant again. Atm he is not on Groves level.

I guarantee that more people want to see Groves-Froch than Groves-Degale rematch.
    That's besides the point. Dirk's point is that he doesn't have much sympathy for Groves as Groves didn't give rematches to Anderson or DeGale, despite similar circumstances. Nobody is saying Groves should fight Anderson or DeGale next, before getting his Froch rematch, just that when the tables were turned, Groves wasn't forthcoming.

I'm pretty sure that Froch will give Groves a rematch anyway. I'm a fan of both fighters and was before the fight. I just hope the winner of the rematch wins without any controversy. Will be interesting to see if Groves can keep his discipline and leave some energy in reserve next time. Terrible stoppage of course, but he didn't help himself by wearing himself out and trading with Froch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
      That makes no sense. DeGale was the bigger name than Groves when they fought. Why was there no immediate rematch after the controversy from the first fight?

Why was there no immediate rematch with Anderson?

Have you seen either fight? It doesn't sound like it so why comment?
      Degale-Groves was a close fight that could've gone either way. So there's no scent of robbery in that fight. The Anderson KO was also not as bad a stoppage as Groves the other night.

Degale-Groves have fought twice and will likely cross path's again but the timing of their pro fight, meant one was going to progress the other not.

Groves has gotten to world and championship level quicker than Degale and has shown deservedly so. He was a top 5 SMW, and many now have him top 3. He did knock Froch down, was up on the cards, there is a large controversy on the stoppage. All these factors are why a large portion of the public, fighters, promoters are calling for a rematch and it'll be a big fight.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P Opinion View Post
        That's besides the point. Dirk's point is that he doesn't have much sympathy for Groves as Groves didn't give rematches to Anderson or DeGale, despite similar circumstances. Nobody is saying Groves should fight Anderson or DeGale next, before getting his Froch rematch, just that when the tables were turned, Groves wasn't forthcoming.
        Glad someone understood the thread!

Not only was he not forthcoming, he gloated about the fact that he wasn't giving either of them rematches!

The guy is an absolute hypocrite but you can expect nothing less from a guy who's spent most of his time around David Haye and Adam Booth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris Silver View Post
          Degale-Groves was a close fight that could've gone either way. So there's no scent of robbery in that fight.
          It was a controversial decision. Same as the refs decision to stop the fight. Unless you are denying that Groves was badly hurt?

The Anderson KO was also not as bad a stoppage as Groves the other night.
          You're right, it was probably worse.

Degale-Groves have fought twice and will likely cross path's again but the timing of their pro fight, meant one was going to progress the other not.
          I keep reading this. They fought ONCE in the pros. Why is this the only rivalry where people count an amateur fight (which was another Groves gift) in the series. There was no definitive winner and the majority of the observers thought DeGale won. Why no rematch/?

Groves has gotten to world and championship level quicker than Degale and has shown deservedly so.
          No he was handed a title shot. The guy was No.5 with the IBF and Eddie Hearn managed to manipulate the rankings to make him mandatory. The perks of having a more powerful promoter. James DeGale's opposition was comparable if not better than Groves up until Saturday night.

He did knock Froch down, was up on the cards, there is a large controversy on the stoppage. All these factors are why a large portion of the public, fighters, promoters are calling for a rematch and it'll be a big fight.
          Yeah but if Carl Froch turns it down, there should be no complaint from Groves' sympathisers after the way he gloated about rejecting rematches from controversial fights in his past. Fortunately Froch is a man of character so I don't see him rejecting the fight.
          Last edited by Dirk Diggler UK; 11-25-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Complaining about same thing u don't have sympathy for? What circle jerk bull****

Degale lost a close fight, it's time to get over it

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              Complaining about same thing u don't have sympathy for? What circle jerk bull****

Degale lost a close fight, it's time to get over it
              I would sympathise with Groves if I didn't know his history.

I also mentioned the Kenny Anderson fight which is actually more comparable to the Froch fight.

Anderson took the fight at a couple of week's notice and decked Groves, had him badly hurt. As soon as Groves got on top for a few seconds, the referee jumped in.

And Anderson was not as hurt as Groves was on Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                It was a controversial decision. Same as the refs decision to stop the fight. Unless you are denying that Groves was badly hurt?
                I watched it again recently and it was a close fight. A close fight on the cards is not a robbery nor is it overally controversial.

You're right, it was probably worse.
                Both were premature, we can agree there.

I keep reading this. They fought ONCE in the pros. Why is this the only rivalry where people count an amateur fight (which was another Groves gift) in the series.
                I was clearly referring to one being amatuer one being pro when I made a point of refering to "their pro fight". They've fought twice plainly factually speaking.

No he was handed a title shot. The guy was No.5 with the IBF and Eddie Hearn managed to manipulate the rankings to make him mandatory. The perks of having a more powerful promoter. James DeGale's opposition was comparable if not better than Groves up until Saturday night.
                It was a real step up but he was ranked #5 by Ring. He's shown that ranking was justified and that it deserves to be higher.

Yeah but if Carl Froch turns it down, there should be no complaint from Groves' sympathisers after the way he gloated about rejecting rematches from controversial fights in his past. Fortunately Froch is a man of character so I don't see him rejecting the fight.
                I agree there is a slight hypocrisy in Groves denying those 2 rematches. But they are different scenario's and level of backlash, demand for a rematch. It's a bit more dog eat dog when folks are racing to world title level, thus the money. Now they are both top 5 division fighters with a highly entertaining competitive fight, a rematch makes sense right now given the particularly high call for it.

If Degale, Bute, Kessler were coming off impressive wins you could make a case for one of them. But as it stands no. I hope you're right and we get the rematch.

Comment

At the time, the DeGale rematch was the biggest fight available to Groves and I believe he chose to fight Paul Smith instead. A guy who DeGale toyed with and knocked out. Then he fought a line of other bums.

Claiming he "bashed up" DeGale in a 1 point majority decision which most thought he lost

It's huge hypocrisy. I want to see the rematch between Froch-Groves but I would just as easily laugh my **** off if Froch told him to fuk off. Froch holds the cards here, not Groves.

Comment

De Gayle lost fair and square

and Groves and him will meet again sooner or later, and this time Groves will spark him out

Groves has progressed so far since that fight, Degale doesn't look impressive at all, he needs to step it up

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
                      De Gayle lost fair and square

and Groves and him will meet again sooner or later, and this time Groves will spark him out

Groves has progressed so far since that fight, Degale doesn't look impressive at all, he needs to step it up
                      What did you think of the Anderson stoppage? Or were you not blowing Groves at the time?

Comment

Working...
                      X