No announcement yet.

Dwyer's Take on Rigo-Donaire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
    I'll never understand the fascination that took place with Dawson, his mental weakness, lack of killer instinct, literally dazing off, he was never well alert in the ring...so many failed to see those issues.
    Young undefeated american fighter with a slick style = hype. It is what it is, he even got endorsement from Floyd as being the best P4P fighter in the world. I just didn't expect hardcore fans to buy that **** though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      He's coming from a gambling point of view. He says Rigo wins by UD or get's KO'd, I mean it doesn't take a genius to go that way.
      It's not that bad a view in that history has shown that when one doesn't engage Donaire, Donaire opts to solely throw big shots as oppose to simply touching his opponent, but this is still the fastest most talented fighter Rigo has ever faced, he's never fought at this level. I wouldn't pick Rigo at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        He's coming from a gambling point of view. He says Rigo wins by UD or get's KO'd, I mean it doesn't take a genius to go that way.
        What did you think about Dwyer's fight analysis for this bout?

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
          It's not that bad a view in that history has shown that when one doesn't engage Donaire, Donaire opts to solely throw big shots as oppose to simply touching his opponent, but this is still the fastest most talented fighter Rigo has ever faced, he's never fought at this level. I wouldn't pick Rigo at all.
          You have to favor Donaire in this match-up, but I think the call is fairly close, maybe 60/40. I've been researching these guys more closely and reviewing footage these past few days. The more I analyze, the closer I see it. Maybe it's just the fan in me that skews my thoughts in Rigo's favor, but I'm beginning to like his chances more as time goes on. Guillermo is truly talented. Even in the Cordoba fight, which still sickens me to watch, he showed he's far from your average fighter. I think neither Donaire nor Rigo have faced an opponent as impressive as each other.

Comment

I think when making predictions he looks at the betting line first try's to find a flaw in that and then gives a breakdown to support his claim. It's not an easy thing to do. Ask any football fan right now why their team is going to make it to the Super Bowl this year, once their 45 minute explanation is up show them the actual odds of that happening... Eyebrows will be raised.

It's as simple as looking at the Mayweather guererro fight. Mayweather is a -1300 favorite ... Does Mayweather beat guererro 13 times in a row ? Probably not. Guererro is giving +700 odds to win. Could guererro win one fight out of 7 against Mayweather ? Maybe. So there is probably more value in betting guererro than Mayweather. Then you just create a "story" to justify your bet.

This above ^^^ was just an example. Switch Mayweather and guererro names out with whoever you like.

Comment

Donaire should be a 6 to 1 favorite, no knock on Rigo but Nonito is just that great.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHook84 View Post
                Donaire should be a 6 to 1 favorite, no knock on Rigo but Nonito is just that great.
                I'll give you 6-1 on your 14k right now.

Comment

I am sorry but I can't stand to listen to that guy. He says right about 30 times every video. It takes him 14 minutes to say what he could say in one minute. He picks the black man to win just about every time. He is wrong about 75% of the time. I'll take a wild guess and say he picked Rigondeaux to win and I think he will be wrong again if the fight happens.

Comment

I actually like this assessment from Dwyer. I didn't think about the jab aspect but I was keen on Rigo's footwork and the fact that Donaire keeps his hands down so much. Also, he is very predictable when he is loading up on his punches which is normally not so much of a problem because he is fast when he punches and the opponents usually get into block mode because of his power.

Rigo's punches are very sharp, accurate and hard to spot. I can see him hurting Donaire as Donaire comes in after loading up for a big shot or as Dwyer mentioned, when he is stepping back with his hands down. Because of Rigo's great footwork, I agree that he will try to close the distance gap and counter with that sharp left up the middle as Nonito steps backwards after a big punch (he almost always keeps his hands down and admires his work for a moment after a big shot).

Nonito's left hook and Rigo's vulnerability to getting hit with a left is the equalizer for me though. The other thing that sticks out to me is that Donaire is becoming kind of a star in a sense and a big ego comes along with that. I could imagine Donaire thinking that "this guy doesn't have a chance in hell" which is a very, very dangerous mindset to have in general, much less against a guy with Rigo's skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by BIg Smoke View Post
                      I swear he always picks the black fighter.

but he predicted romney to win though

Comment

Working...
                      X