Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Freddie Roach capable of creating a plan to beat Floyd Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
    Freddie said they will attack him and test Floyd's stamina. At this point, he may have a point and might be worth the risk.

So Pac might jump on him from round 1 and try to push him back into the ropes and go all out.

They'll probably ask Floyd to come down in weight too: we wouldn't want him to be healthy...now would we...

And, make sure he wears "Reyes" gloves an not "Winning" gloves. Better to see if Floyd throws less with Reyes for fear of breaking his hands. He used this trick when he had Oscar fight Floyd.

I think the worse thing they could do is try and attack Floyd , if Manny could hardly handle Jmm countering him i can't see how on earth he takes Floyd's straight rights all night.

Comment

Anyway after all this time together Pac should give back to Roach
      and purchase him a neck.I mean everyone needs a neck right?

Comment

Originally posted by Silky-Flow View Post
        I think the worse thing they could do is try and attack Floyd , if Manny could hardly handle Jmm countering him i can't see how on earth he takes Floyd's straight rights all night.
        Well, that was what he said. Plus, I guess if you make Floyd drain weight, it gives him a better shot.

I still say let's wait and see where Floyd is right now. He isn't going to get any better...he can only decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
          Well, that was what he said. Plus, I guess if you make Floyd drain weight, it gives him a better shot.

I still say let's wait and see where Floyd is right now. He isn't going to get any better...he can only decline.
          Believe it or not i actually think the "rest" may have done him some good, on 24/7 against Hatton he was complaining about his hands and back and i think that was one of the reasons he decided to take a break, also i think he lost a bit of desire but he's clearly got the whole "i want what's mine" thing as his inspiration now, as for the weight i don't see it going any lower than 143-144 so i can't see four pounds making any difference at all.

Comment

No one is unbeatable--of course Roach can come up with the right plan. Whether Manny can execute it is another story. I remember a few months before Floyd Mayweather moved to 140, I was talking to a former matchmaker who's knowledge of the sport may be unparallelled today (no BS). We were discussing a possible Judah-Mayweather bout down the line and he mentioned that Floyd would have trouble early because 1. all fighters tend to against southpaws and 2. Floyd especially had trouble with them. When I asked him why he said that, he pointed to a fight very early in his career (pro or amateur, I'm not sure) where he said Floyd was hurt pretty seriously by a lefty.

I kinda forgot about that until DeMarcus Corley rocked Floyd with the right hook and scraped him with straight lefts even before that. Then I watched Sharmba Mitchell enjoy small success early against Floyd...then Zab (even knocking Floyd down). Now I can't help but think about what that matchmaker said.

I don't know if Pacquiao's disciplined enough but I'm sure Roach knows what's up. Let's not forget that when he was fighting as a welter, Buddy McGirt used to claim that he had the blueprint to beat the supposedly unbeatable Roy Jones. Who would have ever guessed that nearly a decade later, he'd be the guy training the PERFECT fighter to do it. And how did they know? because a lanky southpaw named Frankie Liles dropped Jones in the amateurs. And then Lou Del Valle did it as a pro.

No one is unbeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by SuckaPunch View Post
              We all know Freddie Roach is a hall-of-fame coach already but beating Floyd Jr is probably the biggest test (strategically) for Roach.

Do you think Freddie is smart enough to create a gameplan for Manny to beat Floyd?

If so, do you think Manny can execute?

It may also be a possibility that Freddie can devise a perfect plan but it's so difficult that Manny won't be able to do it (or maybe because Floyd can adjust as well).

Any thoughts?
              I believe a "Super-Pac-Attack" fight plan will be devised by the genius of Trainer Roach and company that will ultimately defeat and knockout Mayweather in the same fashion that poor Ricky experienced. JAT

"That's a style that would give Manny some trouble," Freddie said of Mayweather's boxing style. "Manny likes when guys come to him. He used to be just aggressive but now he's a good counter-puncher. He could do both, though. Mayweather would pose problems. But if Mayweather laid on the ropes, Manny would beat the **** out of him."

Comment

It's possible, but not likley. Pac could swarm Mr boat buyer and outwork him, but that's the only way I see him winnin.

Comment

Originally posted by Silky-Flow View Post
                  Believe it or not i actually think the "rest" may have done him some good, on 24/7 against Hatton he was complaining about his hands and back and i think that was one of the reasons he decided to take a break, also i think he lost a bit of desire but he's clearly got the whole "i want what's mine" thing as his inspiration now, as for the weight i don't see it going any lower than 143-144 so i can't see four pounds making any difference at all.
                  Some injuries never heal even with rest. Back problems are the worse to deal with because they don't seem to go away; at least from the people I know have back problems and also have read about with athletes.
                  The best you can have is a good day and a bad day. Its one thing I learned when I was young talking to trainers and athletes: "Don't Hurt Your Back because it will finish you." At best, if you are lucky, it will become a nagging problem but it won't cripple you.

For Hands: not sure how that works. He's going to have to punch with his hands and once he starts that up again, the problems will most likely reappear. I don't think they can ever heal. It's wear and tear on the bone. I think he said this himself based on the Doctors advice.

In boxing, there is also this: Inactivity Kills.

Even Freddie Roach mentioned that you can't be a part-time fighter and that being busy is the best thing a fighter can do.
                  I forget which Old Timer said it, but it was on ESPN Classics with boxing...maybe Carmen Basilio...he said a fighter should fight within 3 months or he basically risks not be at his best. That's why Freddie keeps Manny busy.
                  Floyd's also 32 and was already breaking down from years of wear and tear from his training habits.

What he can do for his hands is make sure he is allowed to wear "Winning" gloves. For his back: good luck with that. Maybe lots of therapy just to have a chance of it being healthy enough to train and spar. I remember hearing Tyson had to go to therapy basically every-day because of his back problems and as he aged, he became stiffer.

Comment

Originally posted by chiyoko View Post
                    Manny is flawed.The way he bends down when dodging leaves him open to Floyd's upper cuts.anyone who thinks Manny can beat Floyd is mistaken.
                    Floyd is flawed. The way he trades punches with his head up while squaring his body up. He's wide open for straight punches. The way he leans before throwing his lead right. He can be countered with a straight left. He doesnt have many holes in his game, but they're there.

If Sharmba Mitchell and Zab Judah can take brief advantage of them, then Manny Pacquiao will.

Comment

Vice versa though..If JMM can connect with big shots on Manny so will floyd
                      There's a counter for every Argument

Comment

Working...
                      X