Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is more valuable in a clean street fight: good wrestling or good boxing?(pick 1)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the issue with most ******s on here is thinking that if you box, that means you're gonna be working behind the jab and you'll fight like it's a sanctioned bout.

Oh and that once you learn to box you suddenly have less grappling intelligence than the average joe.

Comment

But we're not talking a wrestler vs a boxer. We're talking what will win a street fight the easiest right? Just a random street fight?

Even guys who can fight will nearly always get into a bit of a wrestling match when they are having a proper street fight. Or even someone who can punch vs someone who can't, the person who can't will be able to grab the other one most of the time.

If they could wrestle, it's over. If they could wrestle, you'd also know how to get in quickly and easily without the person being able to, or having the time and space to move away while also showing punches that will actually do any damage.

I like boxing way more and it's very valuable obviously. But in a random street fight, you are less likely to take any damage and more likely to finish it quickly if you can wrestle well.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        Well, no offence Split, but this just proved my point.

There's always someone who brings up this scenario of a guy who can fight taking out one or more guys who can't and thinking that somehow proves their point. There is a massive difference between knowing how to wrestle and thus knowing how to get in on someone to a couple of random guys who've probably never fought in their lives walking at someone with their hands down, chins up and having no idea what they're doing and thus getting punched.

That's not wrestling vs boxing. That's experienced fighter vs random person who has no experience with anything.

None of what you just said makes the slightest bit of sense.

Lesnar? You mean the former UFC heavyweight champ fighting other professional fighters? What's this got to do with street fights? It still kind of disproves your own point though, because Lesnar became the UFC champ with some of the worst stand up in the UFC and did it all with wrestling and GNP.
        This isn't boxing vs wrestling. Read the title.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
          I think the issue with most ******s on here is thinking that if you box, that means you're gonna be working behind the jab and you'll fight like it's a sanctioned bout.

Oh and that once you learn to box you suddenly have less grappling intelligence than the average joe.
          Of course not. But you're talking as if someone who wrestles is the same as some random nobody who has never fought in their life by bringing up experienced fighters vs people with none.

Someone who can box has instinctive wrestling skills, which is the same amount of instinctive punching skills as a wrestler has ie. not very much. Get what I mean? A boxer has as much wrestling skill as a wrestler has boxing skill. Both very little.

As for the fighting like it's a sanctioned bout, that's the way you were talking. You talk as if someone who can box can just step back, use their footwork and land a haymaker with no probs. "Yeah man, you just step to the side and throw a six punch combination and it's over bro". It's actually very hard to step back and catch someone cleanly who is trying to grab you and your chances of landing a good KO punch are very small. If you miss, they've got hold of you.

You're exactly right though! A street fight looks nothing like a sanctioned bout and that's my point precisely. Street fights are unpredictable, scrappy, messy affairs in which people do whatever they can to win. When it's standing, it's unpredictable and the other guy can always catch you with something lucky. If you take him down and are on top, it's completely over. Nothing they can do from that point on.

Comment

This isn't boxing vs wrestling. Read the title.

Well, thanks for point that out. I was replying to stuff you said mate. I know full well what the title said, see my reply below which was above yours, but you were the one replying about Lesnar, a professional MMA fighter and world champion. You were bringing up the scenario of him vs pro stand up fighters.

I was pointing out that's got nothing to do with anything and isn't even on topic.

But yes, thanks for taking the time to point that out to yourself. Read the title is right.

Anyway, I love the awesome stance of bringing up a random video of some guy as if that's the end of it all. Shall I find one of someone who can wrestle body slamming someone and finishing it before it even starts without having to dodge punches and pretend that's all there is to it?

But we're not talking a wrestler vs a boxer. We're talking what will win a street fight the easiest right? Just a random street fight?

Even guys who can fight will nearly always get into a bit of a wrestling match when they are having a proper street fight. Or even someone who can punch vs someone who can't, the person who can't will be able to grab the other one most of the time.

If they could wrestle, it's over. If they could wrestle, you'd also know how to get in quickly and easily without the person being able to, or having the time and space to move away while also showing punches that will actually do any damage.

I like boxing way more and it's very valuable obviously. But in a random street fight, you are less likely to take any damage and more likely to finish it quickly if you can wrestle well.

Comment

Well, thanks for point that out. I was replying to stuff you said mate. I know full well what the title said, see my reply below which was above yours, but you were the one replying about Lesnar, a professional MMA fighter and world champion. You were bringing up the scenario of him vs pro stand up fighters.

I was pointing out that's got nothing to do with anything and isn't even on topic.

But yes, thanks for taking the time to point that out to yourself. Read the title is right.

Anyway, I love the awesome stance of bringing up a random video of some guy as if that's the end of it all. Shall I find one of someone who can wrestle body slamming someone and finishing it before it even starts without having to dodge punches and pretend that's all there is to it?
              The only thing that post of yours (your third post in this thread) proves is that you only just figured out the topic wasn't boxing vs wrestling and are now trying to cover you ass. Grabbing onto someone's shirt doesn't mean sht, you can still get wailed on and the back of the head is completely game in the streets.

Again, this isn't boxing vs wrestling like you initially thought it was. it's boxing or wrestling in the streets, I said boxing because most people don't know how to wrestle and despite their attempts to clinch you, will still be there for the taking with punches and secondly it's a lot more viable in a brawl.

You can believe what you want, just get off your high horse.
              Last edited by SplitSecond; 01-28-2016, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Of course not. But you're talking as if someone who wrestles is the same as some random nobody who has never fought in their life by bringing up experienced fighters vs people with none.

Someone who can box has instinctive wrestling skills, which is the same amount of instinctive punching skills as a wrestler has ie. not very much. Get what I mean? A boxer has as much wrestling skill as a wrestler has boxing skill. Both very little.

As for the fighting like it's a sanctioned bout, that's the way you were talking. You talk as if someone who can box can just step back, use their footwork and land a haymaker with no probs. "Yeah man, you just step to the side and throw a six punch combination and it's over bro". It's actually very hard to step back and catch someone cleanly who is trying to grab you and your chances of landing a good KO punch are very small. If you miss, they've got hold of you.

You're exactly right though! A street fight looks nothing like a sanctioned bout and that's my point precisely. Street fights are unpredictable, scrappy, messy affairs in which people do whatever they can to win. When it's standing, it's unpredictable and the other guy can always catch you with something lucky. If you take him down and are on top, it's completely over. Nothing they can do from that point on.
                There might not be any ground wrestling with boxers and definitely not to the depth that a wrestler gets but a boxer with any real experienced has faced his share of rough house, in your face mauling inside fighters and likely has a little more experience with wrestling and getting leverage on a hugging opponent than a wrestler has with getting punched at or punching, which is likely nil unless he's been in some street fights or done some boxing himself.
                Last edited by SplitSecond; 01-28-2016, 01:10 AM.

Comment

A skilled wrestler will eventually get you off your feet. And once a boxer is off his feet against any kind of submission expert, it's all over.

Comment

The only thing that post of yours (your third post in this thread) proves is that you only just figured out the topic wasn't boxing vs wrestling and are now trying to cover you ass. Grabbing onto someone's shirt doesn't mean sht, you can still get wailed on and the back of the head is completely game in the streets.

Again, this isn't boxing vs wrestling like you initially thought it was. it's boxing or wrestling in the streets, I said boxing because most people don't know how to wrestle and despite their attempts to clinch you, will still be there for the taking with punches and secondly it's a lot more viable in a brawl.

You can believe what you want, just get off your high horse.
                    No. Once again, I was replying to a scenario you brought up. Got it? That simple. You brought it up, I replied to it and expanded on it. Then brought it back to topic which you were never on. You were the one that started out with pro wrestlers vs pro stand up fighters in MMA. Let's backtrack some more though eh?

As I said initially, and then again and again, none of that has anything to do with anything but you used it as some bizarre way of proving your point...?

You're bringing up pro fighters using wrestling vs boxing and then telling me to get back on point? Ok mate.

Anyway, back on point. As I said in an earlier post, once a good wrestler has a hold of you, it's over. You go down, get slammed, and bad things can happen. If it stays standing, it's still unpredictable and can go more than one way.

Comment

No. Once again, I was replying to a scenario you brought up. Got it? That simple. You brought it up, I replied to it and expanded on it. Then brought it back to topic which you were never on. You were the one that started out with pro wrestlers vs pro stand up fighters in MMA. Let's backtrack some more though eh?

As I said initially, and then again and again, none of that has anything to do with anything but you used it as some bizarre way of proving your point...?

You're bringing up pro fighters using wrestling vs boxing and then telling me to get back on point? Ok mate.

Anyway, back on point. As I said in an earlier post, once a good wrestler has a hold of you, it's over. You go down, get slammed, and bad things can happen. If it stays standing, it's still unpredictable and can go more than one way.
                      There's a couple of videos of boxers taking out 2+ people, keeping their distance with footwork and wacking fools who step into their zone. I have yet to see a wrestler able to handle such a thing, a wrestler isn't even an MMA fighter, he's just a hugger.

And if Lesnar was any indication, they sht themselves in the face of punches(the tendency is to look away).
                      Where in this post do I say anything about boxer vs wrestler?

The only point here is boxer's can handle themselves better in droves, i back it up by saying this is witnessed in numerous altercations caught on camera whilst I personally have not seen one wrestler handle a group. I have seen them get kicked and punched in the back of the head as they sit on top of someone though.

If you want my answer on boxer vs wrestler I'll agree that the wrestler has the advantage.
                      Last edited by SplitSecond; 01-28-2016, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X