Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding weightlifting to usual boxing gym routine for the first time...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
    thanks for the comments,

As an update, I've found it difficult to keep mass while doing boxing gym work..

Since I've been back in the boxing gym, I have lost size that I previously gained from weight lifting. I also lost some fat which is good.

Am I burning muscle during my boxing gym work?
    Yea, weightlifting and boxing are kind of on the opposite end of the scale. The only way you'll retain size with leanness is with a bit of chemical help. The work you're doing in the gym (weightlifting) isn't for nothing, don't get discouraged there. How's your diet? Supplement routine?

Compound exercises are definitely the way to go as when you throw a punch you use most of your body. Funnily enough I was thinking about this earlier and was considering adding wrist curls to the routine or at least focusing on the wrist a lot more. Seeing as the kinetic energy travels through that part and it's not exactly a solid part it could help stop possible injuries.

Comment

I don't like bench press, squatting and that sort of stuff, IMO this is more for bodybuilding freaks.

I work more or less with dumbbells only. I reserve two days in a week for it and do 2 major muscle groups a day, then take a day off on the third day and then continue with boxing for the rest of the week.

I'm not an expert on this but it worked really well for me, I experimented with different routines and this one works the best. I gained a lot of power while retaining speed, flexibility and cardio needed for boxing. For me, this is the perfect ratio.

Also, I skip leg days. I do sprinting and exercises with my own weight for legs. I have really huge and strong legs, probably because of my football (soccer) past or maybe it's just genetics, so I don't think like I need to build much leg muscles. I think the kind of power and muscles you develop in your legs with sprinting, skipping rope and exercises with your own bodyweight is better for boxing than more bodybuilding-type exercises for legs. Again, worked fine with me.

Anyway, whatever you do make sure you don't skip boxing. Lift weights but keep your focus on boxing, if you'll be just lifting weight for 2 months and no boxing you get stiff.

Comment

Thanks again for the comments...

I have been going back and forth during the days of the week doing weightlifting-boxing-weightlifting-boxing , etc.

And to D-MiZe: The supplements I am currently taking are BSN Syntha-6 Protein Isolate Shake, a Multivitamin and fish oil.

Do yall think it's a good idea to simply eat a lot, increasing my daily food intake in general?
        Maybe this will help keep my body from burning the mass I gain from weightlifting?

Comment

Yes. After all, your body generally needs to receive two things in order to retain muscle mass: the proper energy and the proper stimulus. This means you need to eat enough and train appropriately.

If you have already acquired the strength you were looking for, you can decrease the frequency of the weight training. However, you need to keep the intensity. Indeed, if you decrease the resistance, your body will no longer receive an appropriate stimulus and it will get rid off the excess muscle. Boxing itself can be characterized as a mostly cardiovascular exercise. Therefore it will burn more calories than your weight training. Your diet should be adjusted accordingly. Also you've added the training to your weight training? This will also mean you will burn more energy. If you don't adjust your diet, I am pretty sure you will lose weight.
          Last edited by Facade; 12-18-2015, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X