• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
    i would be opposed.

I can see it now:

"The new champion of the world! Who just fought another tomato can!"
    lol, Haymon definitely has holes in his business venture but he is a lot smarter and richer than myself so all I can do is sit back and see what happens. But I will say the point you bring up is actually HAymon and PBC taking advantage of the alphabet titles for what their worth right now. If there were a PBC title, this whole tomato can issue will gradually go away because PBC will have no choice but match "their" best against their own best kinda like UFC.

Comment

I'm not a fan of some of the fights Haymon has put together or stopped happening. But it's obvious he's trying to remove the corruption of the various sanctioning bodies and promoters.

Imagine if he pulled off the UFC model and everyone fought for one title in their division?! There would be some bad mofos at the top and hardly any undefeated records. Plus with the free tv coverage, imagine if they cut out PPVs! Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUNG3-TANK View Post
        I'm not a fan of some of the fights Haymon has put together or stopped happening. But it's obvious he's trying to remove the corruption of the various sanctioning bodies and promoters.

Imagine if he pulled off the UFC model and everyone fought for one title in their division?! There would be some bad mofos at the top and hardly any undefeated records. Plus with the free tv coverage, imagine if they cut out PPVs! Sign me up.
        Yeah and at least thered be a true champ in a respected sanction whether they are considered the best in the world will be up for debate but itd legitimize a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
          And PBC is the only chance there is of that happening.

Any boxing fan that wants one champion per division should be supporting PBC and encouraging fighters to join PBC.

If PBC is successful, boxing fans will have the one champion per division they desire, boxing fans won't have to buy PPVs or pay for premium subscriptions anymore, boxing fans will be able to see all of the match ups they desire, etc.

The current fragmented four belt system benefits the fighters, networks and promoters, but is terrible for FANS.

For the boxing fan, PBC is the hope that nobody really thought would ever come along. There will obviously be growing pains. PBC is trying to take over a sport ruled by decades of corruption. It's not going to be easy. But if they pull it off, the fans benefit more than anybody.
          I admire your hope, but it crosses into naivety

Reform needs to come from the inside, not the outside. PBC cant take over the sport like you dream it will, I dont think it can even take over the US.. Most top fighters now dont fight under the PBC banner and dont seem to be looking to any time soon

You have to appreciate that the PBC is not anywhere near as successful as it needs to be in its current form, and therefore I would expect you would not support another title whilst the sanctioning bodys still hold the only widely accepted forms of championship. If PBC becomes some massive league like you say, then that would be the time to introduce a title. But if they decide to introduce one in the form its in, youd be against it surely. No sane fan would want to add another title to the heap.

I disagree with the entire premise that the PBC can take over sanctioning bodies. The bodies are far too embedded within most countries athletic commissions, national bodies, amateur programs and medical/insurance/doping programs to simply be 'replaced. I really think you underestimate how big PBC would have to be to achieve this. For example, how on earth are you going to convert the entirely of the Japanese boxing scene, and the JBC over to adopting another system, when the current system now works fine mostly, but is in dire need of reform. I cant see it happening

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
            And PBC is the only chance there is of that happening.

Any boxing fan that wants one champion per division should be supporting PBC and encouraging fighters to join PBC.

If PBC is successful, boxing fans will have the one champion per division they desire, boxing fans won't have to buy PPVs or pay for premium subscriptions anymore, boxing fans will be able to see all of the match ups they desire, etc.

The current fragmented four belt system benefits the fighters, networks and promoters, but is terrible for FANS.

For the boxing fan, PBC is the hope that nobody really thought would ever come along. There will obviously be growing pains. PBC is trying to take over a sport ruled by decades of corruption. It's not going to be easy. But if they pull it off, the fans benefit more than anybody.
            PBC may succeed in cornering the US market in the way the UFC has for MMA (and indeed that may be the model), but boxing is a global sport and Haymon's reach is not and will never be global. The sport will remain fractured regardless of how successful PBC is in the States.

Comment

In once sense I can feel it because I don't care about what a sanctioning body has to say or their arcane rules. Acing them out is therefore not some big deal to me, and for the brand it makes some sense to say who is best on PBC.

However, it just cements the fractured nature of the sport as it is now certain people will never be able to compete for that belt. If they had a large control on boxing it would be one thing but they have a long way to go to get to that level.

Much too soon for that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                In once sense I can feel it because I don't care about what a sanctioning body has to say or their arcane rules. Acing them out is therefore not some big deal to me, and for the brand it makes some sense to say who is best on PBC.

However, it just cements the fractured nature of the sport as it is now certain people will never be able to compete for that belt. If they had a large control on boxing it would be one thing but they have a long way to go to get to that level.

Much too soon for that.
                Someone else pointed out that itd be to soon and I totally agree, another point I didnt take into consideration and I think as an American I kinda forget that boxing exist outside the western hemisphere, PBC by market would primarily be US based in a global sport but as its kinda showing now, fighters are seeing the $$$ Haymon is putting up so as fighters get tired of paying sanctioning fees as many are now, a PBC belt will shine bright in the future, but only TIME will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  Someone else pointed out that itd be to soon and I totally agree, another point I didnt take into consideration and I think as an American I kinda forget that boxing exist outside the western hemisphere, PBC by market would primarily be US based in a global sport but as its kinda showing now, fighters are seeing the $$$ Haymon is putting up so as fighters get tired of paying sanctioning fees as many are now, a PBC belt will shine bright in the future, but only TIME will tell.
                  PBC brings in a lot of foreign talent so I don't think that is the biggest issue.
                  The big issue is will other big players both inside and outside the US work with Haymon. If he can get control of the US he stands a good chance of getting solid working relationships with those outside the US.

It is a time thing though no doubt, this is a long term project and it is really just starting out. Championship belts are one of the later things that they need to introduce.

Comment

Yeah i'd support it considering Haymon has shown the willingness to match his top fighters against each other, but Haymon would need twice the stable he has now to pull it off.
                    Right now he only has like 5 decent fighters per division, he needs a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                      PBC may succeed in cornering the US market in the way the UFC has for MMA (and indeed that may be the model), but boxing is a global sport and Haymon's reach is not and will never be global. The sport will remain fractured regardless of how successful PBC is in the States.
                      MMA is also a global sport, UFC pays the best and has the most viewers so all MMA fighters aspire to get to the UFC in America. This is what PBC could be, the big leagues for boxers.

Comment

Working...
                      X