No announcement yet.

fast twitch muscle fibres?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fast twitch muscle fibres?

I was wondering how to better develop my fast twitch muscle fibers, any exercises, etc.. Someone was talking about it in the post I made about weight lifting advice and I was wondering if somebody could elaborate a little more on how to further develop the fast twitch fibers Any advice would be great.

To develop fast twitch fibers, you're gonna have to lift heavy. This is exactly why heavy lifting is not bad for boxing on doesn't make you slow.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
      To develop fast twitch fibers, you're gonna have to lift heavy. This is exactly why heavy lifting is not bad for boxing on doesn't make you slow.
      Good in theory but n practise it will make you bulky and robotic. It might work in sprinting but boxing you need speed of reaction not just movement and bulk will slow that down. The bulk will take the snap out of your punches. Fast twitch fibres are a natural gift. Do calisthenics to maximise what natural gifts you already have. You'll get explosive power increases too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post
        Good in theory but n practise it will make you bulky and robotic. It might work in sprinting but boxing you need speed of reaction not just movement and bulk will slow that down. The bulk will take the snap out of your punches. Fast twitch fibres are a natural gift. Do calisthenics to maximise what natural gifts you already have. You'll get explosive power increases too.
        Ignorance is bliss.

Comment

I workout with guys that are easily twice my strength and they don't hit harder than me. The only guy with a noticeable difference is real real smooth shifting his weight on his punches and he hits way harder than anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post
            where did you get this info from? Or did one of ur old skool trainers told you this.

Comment

very heavy compound lifts like (bench, squat, deadlift) do develop the fast twitch fibers, but you might be more interested in explosive training. You can make any exercise more explosive like taking 45% of your max bench and just banging out reps as fast as you can.

There are some exercises that are particularly great for explosive training. One arm Dumbell (or kettlebell) snatches and swings are a perfect example. Clean+jerk is also pretty useful.

other than that theres all that other stuff like sled dragging, sledge hammer swinging, and a bunch of other stuff i cant think of right now

Comment

i too am a fan of heavy lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by mkm88414 View Post
                  very heavy compound lifts like (bench, squat, deadlift) do develop the fast twitch fibers, but you might be more interested in explosive training. You can make any exercise more explosive like taking 45% of your max bench and just banging out reps as fast as you can.

There are some exercises that are particularly great for explosive training. One arm Dumbell (or kettlebell) snatches and swings are a perfect example. Clean+jerk is also pretty useful.

other than that theres all that other stuff like sled dragging, sledge hammer swinging, and a bunch of other stuff i cant think of right now
                  Explosive training is obviously a good way to go as well. However, the higher your max strength, the bigger your potential for increasing explosiveness. So, to put it in order, The heavy lifting is the base upon which you add the explosive stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by eman-resu View Post
                    I workout with guys that are easily twice my strength and they don't hit harder than me. The only guy with a noticeable difference is real real smooth shifting his weight on his punches and he hits way harder than anyone else.
                    Technique is king. Obvious? I'd think so... We're talking about physical parameters here, not technical though.

Comment

Working...
                    X