Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the hamstrings supply more force to the punch than the quads or vice versa?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    it all comes down to the big toe. it was said that Liston could press 650lbs with his big toe alone. you gotta know it's the big toe............
    Rocking gave the best answer by far.

To me it feels predominately like quads and glutes with some hamstring involvment, and boy its fecking powerful! The combo of the glutes and quads together wow!
    Last edited by AlexKid; 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
      S

Just in case you didnt know the hamstrings are on the back of the leg between the knee and the bum, and the quads are on the front of the thigh between the knee and the hip.
      bum...

Comment

Wrong, all the power comes from Danny Garcia's sixth toe. /thread

Comment

If you are such an expert, which is used more the quads or the hams?

Granted both are used and more but if you really know your stuff you'll be able to answer.
          I did answer. It's not about one over the other. It's about making it all work at once. Again, if you're trying to figure which is "used more" then you're doing it wrong. I'm not being a smart A--I'm telling you that you're missing the mark

Comment

I believe the question itself is flawed. No offense intended.

Scientifically/Biomechanically, the legs do less to directly influence the power/forces generated than many of the posters in this thread seem to indicate. It would be more productive to look at the legs as contributors which, in addition to providing stability, serve to facilitate hip rotation (which is where power is optimally generated in any proximal-distal accelaration sequence i.e. punching,swinging, throwing).

I suppose all of that is just a fancy way of saying, if you took a toy propeller, one that just so happened to also have two protrusions at the bottom (similar to legs), how effectively could you use those protrusions to generate enough force to make the propeller fly? Chances are you'd just do what most kids instinctively do which is quickly spin the main shaft between your two hands and let go (let the 'spin main shaft between hands' jokes commence). Perhaps over-simplistic example, but the concept is exactly the same.

The pic in the original post shows a great example of rotational power of the hips. At no point is he showing 'leg drive' which would be indicated by an extension of the knee causing the leg to move in an upward direction. In fact, both legs are in a naturally flexed position at the time of contact of the punch.
            Last edited by Cloud E Head; 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by mneronava2k View Post
              I did answer. It's not about one over the other. It's about making it all work at once. Again, if you're trying to figure which is "used more" then you're doing it wrong. I'm not being a smart A--I'm telling you that you're missing the mark
              you dont know do you lol its not that im trying to do it that way for technique im asking to settle an argument with some1 else

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud E Head View Post
                I believe the question itself is flawed. No offense intended.

Scientifically/Biomechanically, the legs do less to directly influence the power/forces generated than many of the posters in this thread seem to indicate. It would be more productive to look at the legs as contributors which, in addition to providing stability, serve to facilitate hip rotation (which is where power is optimally generated in any proximal-distal accelaration sequence i.e. punching,swinging, throwing).

I suppose all of that is just a fancy way of saying, if you took a toy propeller, one that just so happened to also have two protrusions at the bottom (similar to legs), how effectively could you use those protrusions to generate enough force to make the propeller fly? Chances are you'd just do what most kids instinctively do which is quickly spin the main shaft between your two hands and let go (let the 'spin main shaft between hands' jokes commence). Perhaps over-simplistic example, but the concept is exactly the same.

The pic in the original post shows a great example of rotational power of the hips. At no point is he showing 'leg drive' which would be indicated by an extension of the knee causing the leg to move in an upward direction. In fact, both legs are in a naturally flexed position at the time of contact of the punch.
                rocky uses alot of leg drive he was known for it, you can rotate the hips and punch or rotate and use the legs to supply drive in addition to hip rotation

we are just talking about the leg aspect of the punch in this question,

Comment

Mike Tyson had thunder thighs and punched hard Tommy Hearns had Chicken legs and punched hard I think it's bone density tackled with speed not legs

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                    Mike Tyson had thunder thighs and punched hard Tommy Hearns had Chicken legs and punched hard I think it's bone density tackled with speed not legs
                    are you a genius? (sarcasm)
                    Last edited by AlexKid; 04-23-2015, 08:05 PM.

Comment

you dont know do you lol its not that im trying to do it that way for technique im asking to settle an argument with some1 else
                      Dude, I don't know how to make it much clearer to you--your question is flawed, the premise is flawed. It's like your asking the question: which works better in the water a car or a plane? And I'm telling you: a boat

Comment

Working...
                      X