Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok i got a new External HDD .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Ok i got a new External HDD .

Well i got this new Macbook Pro and i was offered the Apple Care Protection Plan and for €250 and they would give me a free Western Digital "My Passport for Mac" so i was tempted to get the HDD so i could transfer files from my Windows Vista laptop to my new Mac. But the HDD wont connect well with Vista and it wont install. Anyone know what i can do? I cant even format it.
    Thanks

Originally posted by Irish Hitman View Post
    Well i got this new Macbook Pro and i was offered the Apple Care Protection Plan and for €250 and they would give me a free Western Digital "My Passport for Mac" so i was tempted to get the HDD so i could transfer files from my Windows Vista laptop to my new Mac. But the HDD wont connect well with Vista and it wont install. Anyone know what i can do? I cant even format it.
    Thanks
    Have you got one of those data transfer cables for Vista?

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Hitman View Post
      Thanks

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1408?viewlocale=en_US

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by omarinbox View Post
        Have you got one of those data transfer cables for Vista?
        No, what is it? All i got is the HDD and a USB cable

Comment

Originally posted by ßreakbeat View Post
          Thanks for that but unfortunetly it didnt really help, im trying to put files on a Mac HDD from a Windows PC

Comment

You can always plug the new HD into the Mac and reformat it to a format both Mac and PC can read.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5795930_format-usb-drive-mac-pc.html
            Last edited by COVID-19; 07-04-2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

What Breakbeat said...I went to the store and got a data transfer cable when I got my new laptop but that was Windows to windows.

It had a disk with it just plugged into the USBs.

If what breakbeat says don't work ask at the apple store.

Comment

Originally posted by omarinbox View Post
                What Breakbeat said...I went to the store and got a data transfer cable when I got my new laptop but that was Windows to windows.

It had a disk with it just plugged into the USBs.

If what breakbeat says don't work ask at the apple store.

Reformatting the HD should work, you can just reformat it after to whatever you want as well.

Comment

Well if you used it with your Mac first it would probably have been formatted to HFS (Mac propriety format). If you want to be able to transfer files from your PC and Mac, you are going to want to format it to FAT32 as NTFS will not work with Snow Leopard.

To do this, connect your drive to your mac then:

1. Open Disk Utility (Applications>Utils>Disk Utility)
                  2. Highlight your external drive in Disk Utility
                  3. Go to the Partition tab in Disk Utility
                  4. Under Volume Scheme choose "1 Partition", Under format choose "MS-DOS (FAT)", Under Options make sure "Master Boot Record" is on
                  5. Click apply, once finished you can close Disk Utility

You should be able to move files from your PC to Mac now.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorSoul View Post
                    Well if you used it with your Mac first it would probably have been formatted to HFS (Mac propriety format). If you want to be able to transfer files from your PC and Mac, you are going to want to format it to FAT32 as NTFS will not work with Snow Leopard.

To do this, connect your drive to your mac then:

1. Open Disk Utility (Applications>Utils>Disk Utility)
                    2. Highlight your external drive in Disk Utility
                    3. Go to the Partition tab in Disk Utility
                    4. Under Volume Scheme choose "1 Partition", Under format choose "MS-DOS (FAT)", Under Options make sure "Master Boot Record" is on
                    5. Click apply, once finished you can close Disk Utility

You should be able to move files from your PC to Mac now.
                    Thanks mate that helped, but theres no way you can have an NTFS or something similar, that could hold more than 4gb?

Comment

Working...
                    X