Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are mainstream musicians besides singers considered not good?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are mainstream musicians besides singers considered not good?

I'm red k'ing anyone that brings up the Vanilla Ice comparison...

I've heard this from musicians like Metallica, Tim McGraw, and Jay-Z, and Sean Paul. And there always seems to be a lot of unknowns that are better. I in my opinion, if they were that good they would be known more. But I think if they started to get too good that they'd be considered garbage in a whole as artist. I just think it's the cool thing to do, and to name artist people don't know and say they're way better. I just find it hilarious that these great complex unknowns aren't getting air time like Nas. Or is Nas garbage also?

not sure what you're talking about...

Are you talking about musicians like guitar players or drummers or are you talking about singers? Like front men?

Or is the gist of this that everyone thinks the more unknown the better and that all mainstreamers suck?

Comment

I don't think I know what the hell you're talking about either Vers.

Comment

Are you basically asking why people like to claim unknown bands are better than mainstream ones? If so, your argument about how much air time they get is irrelevant. Marketability in the music industry has to do with a lot more than talent, it's to do with, well, how marketable someone or something is, of course. It can also come down to luck, really.

There are a lot of lesser known bands that I would say are much better than huge mainstream artists, but I also hate people who criticise music purely because its mainstream.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by T-97 View Post
            Are you basically asking why people like to claim unknown bands are better than mainstream ones? If so, your argument about how much air time they get is irrelevant. Marketability in the music industry has to do with a lot more than talent, it's to do with, well, how marketable someone or something is, of course. It can also come down to luck, really.

There are a lot of lesser known bands that I would say are much better than huge mainstream artists, but I also hate people who criticise music purely because its mainstream.
            Bingo!! That's what I meant. Sorry guys for not explaining it right.

Comment

I don't know why. With hip hop, yeah there's some good underground emcee's, but there's some underground emcee's who sound exactly the next underground emcee too.

There's some good mainstream hip hop, you just have to stay away from a lot of it. Because a lot of it is whack, but there's still some good mainstream hip hop.

Comment

you gotta work on your defense, man
                those punches have been getting through.

i don't know what the hell you are talking about,

i will usually at the very least BS my way through a thread concerning music, but this is just too much

Comment

I see the point here. Not all bands, and singers who are popular, "mainstream," or "trendy" are rubbish. . . At least in regards to them being good at what they do (whether or not you like their music).

I think a lot are very talented, and make good music. Alicia Keys, for instance, I'm not really a fan of her music, but recognize she's very talented.

Of course you have plenty who are pure rubbish, and with no real talent. . . But "mainstream" doesn't always mean bad.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
                    I see the point here. Not all bands, and singers who are popular, "mainstream," or "trendy" are rubbish. . . At least in regards to them being good at what they do (whether or not you like their music).

I think a lot are very talented, and make good music. Alicia Keys, for instance, I'm not really a fan of her music, but recognize she's very talented.

Of course you have plenty who are pure rubbish, and with no real talent. . . But "mainstream" doesn't always mean bad.

alicia keys ass is huge these days...

now that is talent.

Comment

Working...
                    X