Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manny Pacquiao needs to develop a new signature punch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacquiao has a sneaky short right hook that really works because they're preoccupied getting away from the straight left.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
      Pacquiao has all the physical tools to be a pretty good inside fighter but he instead chooses to clinch until he can get his mid to long range distance back. If you watch Pacquiao coming up he would actually step to you, a large part of his game wasn't based off of bouncing around, watch his really old fights and you'll see what I'm talking about. When you have much better physicals tools than Katsidis/ Juan Diaz and you can't even have their success in trapping Marquez, that says a lot about your inability to cut off the ring. Just think about that for a moment......

Maybe these things will develop as he slows down even more, maybe it'll force him to develop them.
      I agree with the cutting off the ring part. We'll see how they work on it if he gets the bradley rematch next. As for trading inside, I'm not sure if I wanna do that against marquez. Marquez is one of the best combination punchers out there as witnessed by katsidis and diaz. Manny has great hand speed and should do good but I'd rather see him box him from outside with good lateral movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
        I ain't say he got exposed at all but these are things Pacquiao has needed to work on for a while now. If he put less emphasis on looking for the straight left hand, he may actually cut the ring off better and widen his arsenal of punches up close. If you don't see that I don't know what to tell you then.
        he cuts the ring off though so i dont know what ur talking about. sure maybe some rounds he doesnt cut the ring off right away but that doesnt mean he doesnt know how too. i just find it funny because cutting off the ring is one of the most brought up terms on here. its like thats the most important thing on here or something.

Comment

He doesn't cut it off that good though. I'm getting flashbacks of the Mosley fight where he was walking the wrong way while Shane was on his bike leading to a "dog chasing his own tail" scenario for the whole night.

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
            he cuts the ring off though so i dont know what ur talking about. sure maybe some rounds he doesnt cut the ring off right away but that doesnt mean he doesnt know how too. i just find it funny because cutting off the ring is one of the most brought up terms on here. its like thats the most important thing on here or something.
            You sound stubborn and ******ed right now, I guess you have no idea what your watching then. A much older Mosley who was never known for his boxing ability was able to move around him, an older Marquez at '47 kept turning him making him lunge, a beat down Cotto was still able keep a distance. If he had any ability to cut off the ring he would have handled those situations a lot better. As for the bold, it's a very important aspect of boxing, not everyone is gonna stand in front of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
              He doesn't cut it off that good though. I'm getting flashbacks of the Mosley fight where he was walking the wrong way while Shane was on his bike leading to a "dog chasing his own tail" scenario for the whole night.
              That was pretty ridiculous of Pacquiao. Some people would claim that his killer instinct wasn't there against Mosley. Remember how many times they touched gloves?

Comment

Old dog, new tricks.... say no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
                  Yes it's very important. This is the root problem when people say Pacquiao doesn't look as good against movers or fighters who aren't committed to trading with him. People with the skill will take advantage of someone following them around in a circle. Pacquiao is such a beast though that it is easier said than done.
                  Last edited by Biolink; 12-04-2013, 11:15 AM.

Comment

He had one but the ref took it a way, The double punch to the ears
                    Last edited by Luilun; 12-04-2013, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pnksntdead View Post
                      I agree with the cutting off the ring part. We'll see how they work on it if he gets the bradley rematch next. As for trading inside, I'm not sure if I wanna do that against marquez. Marquez is one of the best combination punchers out there as witnessed by katsidis and diaz. Manny has great hand speed and should do good but I'd rather see him box him from outside with good lateral movement.
                      While Pacquiao would be susceptible on the inside as well, it beats the heck out of lunging in off balance and getting clipped with counter right hands. He doesn't necessarily have to stay in but mix it up a bit, I've seen him throw short compact punches during the mitt sessions with Roach, again he has the technique and physical tools to pull it off. Granted he has widened his arsenal up a bit but now that he's slowed some...looking for the straight left hand isn't gonna be as effective anymore, time to go in, smother a bit and work at close quarters. I think he will inevitably improve as he continues to slow.

Comment

Working...
                      X