No announcement yet.

The fighters in the 70s and 80s must have all been on steroids

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randomum View Post
    I am against the use of PEDs in all sports. Just pointing out that many more boxers are on the drugs than we think. Also the drug problem goes way back into at least the mid 1950's. I wish that we could test for all of these drugs, year round but we can't, and we don't. I am just pointing out that Marquez is not the only culprit. I believe that most of the top fighters are on some sort of PED, or have at least used it at some point. You also have to consider the use of peptides which are not illegal, nor tested for but provide an unfair advantage.

I believe that a way of taking drugs away from the sport is olympic drug testing the top 10 guys in each weight class in the sport year round under the same testing regiment. That way if in anyone is in the rankings to get a title shot they will get tested. But even so there are still ways to beat the system with guys like Heredia, Conte, Ariza, and the hundreds of others that operate namelessly.
    I think even testing every guy in the top 10 in each division is a bit of a stretch. I think the objective should be to find a way to do it for fighters who earn over a certain threshold. You could set it at $1m to start, with every fighter who earns a $1m+ purse having to submit to random testing for the following 12 months.

I think you're definitely right in saying that all top fighters have used some banned drug at some point. It's important that people recognise the distinction between that and sophisticated, systemic doping programmes.

Comment

Originally posted by wiz1030 View Post
      guys may very well have been on stuff back then. The difference between now and then is these guys are on DESIGNER PED's. The stuff probably makes the old school stuff look like Flintsone vitamins
      steroids were legal up until the late 80s i think

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        In Duran's time, steroids was not even an idea in the mind of chemists.
        Cocaine was!

Comment

A recent article from Thomas Hauser claims Jake Lamotta was taking PEDS.

Thank goodness for Floyd Mayweather taking an initiative and doing his best to clean up the sport.

Comment

I've always assumed they were all on something

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
              Watching Duran and Leonard back again now, 15 round war of constant hard punches, the stamina levels of fighters back then were unreal.

Even in the 90s you just got to look at Evander Holyfield's traps to know he was juicing.
              Wouldn't be surprised 70s steroids were exploding on the scene. I see no reason why top athletes wouldnt have been turned on

Comment

Holyfield was a walking steroid.

Comment

They probably were on steroids, we will never know unless one of them write a book about it.

Comment

Is it not enough that people throw wild accusations around about current fighters? Now your starting on the sports greatest legends. Have a day off.

Comment

In the old days it was cornermens bottles and cutmens mixes.

Comment

Working...
                      X