No announcement yet.

Boxers and Steroids

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers and Steroids

I see a lot of this thrown around - around here. Whatever type of human growth hormone or enhancers or steroids, whatever the F you guys want to call them (PED's)

Am I the only one in the minority who doesn't think that these guys are juicing? I mean, they work their asses off and emeciate (starve themselves) to the point of near skin an bone.

Why are the majority of you so convinced these boxers are on PED's?

Most of them are scrawny in comparison. Boxing is a high intensity work out, if you train right you're bound to be shredded. Being ripped, not to be confused with being a freak of nature (ie Evander Holyfield in the late 80's/early 90's.)

Hundreds of thousands to millions of reasons why most of them juice.

Also that thing called competitive edge.

Comment

I think more don't than do, and I definitely have more respect for the clean fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
        Hundreds of thousands to millions of reasons why most of them juice.

Also that thing called competitive edge.
        Do you have any examples? It seems more like an "obvious consensus" rather than any type of fact or proof.

Comment

Does anyoneknow what the cost of a PED regimen would be?

Comment

Power Pellets.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
              Do you have any examples? It seems more like an "obvious consensus" rather than any type of fact or proof.
              Faster recovery rate, improved stamina, more power... etc etc

Comment

I have no way of knowing for certain, or course, but I believe PEDs are quite widespread in professional sports -- too much money involved, and too much perception that "everyone else is doing it." My guess is that somewhere around half of all professional athletes are using, or have used, some form of performance enhancing drugs at some point in their careers. I won't mention any names, but there are at least two major fighters I personally suspect of having used PEDs in the recent past.

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but one has to be extremely naive to think their favorite fighter is beyond reproach. In today's day and age, no one is beyond suspicion.

Comment

Just because they are scrawny like you say doesn't mean anything.

PED's are not only to increase muscle size some are specifically for increasing endurance like EPO....Shane Mosley.

And from what I understand EPO can only be tested through blood test.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                    Does anyoneknow what the cost of a PED regimen would be?
                    I only have a ballpark idea of what it costs a professional bodybuilder to "keep up with the Joneses." We're talking about tens of thousands of dollars a year, with the amount spent depending on the relative success of the athlete. But boxers don't use the same drugs in the same way. Also, the cycling of the drugs would be different. My guess is that a professional boxer wouldn't spend nearly as much as a pro bodybuilder. Therefore, the expense wouldn't be prohibitive. If it's a big-time fighter, the expense is well worth the return on investment. It's just one of the many challenges the authorities face when attempting to control PEDs in professional sports.

Comment

Working...
                    X