Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If being a world champion truly matters to a fighter...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
    Agreed. Zab fight was signed prior to zab/baldo. Point is floyd unified ww titles already. I just think you should point that out. If you want him to do it again, ok.
    I see what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by purecyse View Post
      The belts can't mean nothing anymore when every fighter of note has one (aside from Pacquiao) and every fighter coming up wants one.

Mayweather is supposedly beyond needing belts but paid the fees for the WBC belt to be put on the line against Ortiz AND the WBA belt to be put on the line against Cotto.

Even if the belts are just for accomplishments to be added to their legacies, unifying has always been a big deal among even the purist of boxing fans due to the want for the belts to stand for something again.
      But then they get stripped of those belts for ridiculous reasons, and when they try to unify the organizations strip them for not fighting mandatories, or a fighter wins the belt but can't pay the sanctioning fees and doesn't actually get it, I mean why bother? Just fight the best opposition and if that fighter has a belt, cool. If not, so what?

Comment

Yes, being the undisputed world champ is another level of bad ass...

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          But then they get stripped of those belts for ridiculous reasons, and when they try to unify the organizations strip them for not fighting mandatories, or a fighter wins the belt but can't pay the sanctioning fees and doesn't actually get it, I mean why bother? Just fight the best opposition and if that fighter has a belt, cool. If not, so what?
          The corruption can be pointed out as well as some of the fruitlessness to it, at times, but what elite fighter is talking about fighting anyone without a belt?

Mares and Rigo are talking about fighting Donaire, Donaire is about to fight Math.
          Amir Khan is about to fight Danny Garcia but is eyeing Mayweather.
          Pacquiao is eyeing Bradley, Marquez and Mayweather.
          Mayweather is eyeing Khan (who can't lose to Garcia so he'd have the WBC), Alvarez and Martinez.
          Martinez is eyeing Chavez Jr.
          Ward is about to fight Dawson.

A belt MUST mean something to even the greatest of fighters. Unifying removes the number of options to get those belts so fighters MUST go through you. That, imo, makes someone the man to beat. Though my opinion is always humbly. LoL.

Comment

Working...
          X