Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Unpopular Opinion thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe it's me (alien from another planet), but it seems that guys are getting their pantyhose (if you'd pardon the expression) in a bind over the "unpopular" opinions of others, when that's the very object of this thread. In addition to the pair you've already grown, you need to grow a sense of humor...

Lighten-up. That's an order!

Comment

• Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post

The HW Div is in full bloom starting now
      While i disagree with what u say i will defend ur right to say it to the death!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
        While i disagree with what u say i will defend ur right to say it to the death!
        That's the spirit!

Comment

• Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
          Maybe it's me (alien from another planet), but it seems that guys are getting their pantyhose (if you'd pardon the expression) in a bind over the "unpopular" opinions of others, when that's the very object of this thread. In addition to the pair you've already grown, you need to grow a sense of humor...

This thread is for unpopular opinions. It doesn't mean that others can't comment on them. I really don't see anyone overreacting. At least until now.

Comment

Maybe it's me (alien from another planet), but it seems that guys are getting their pantyhose (if you'd pardon the expression) in a bind over the "unpopular" opinions of others, when that's the very object of this thread. In addition to the pair you've already grown, you need to grow a sense of humor...

That was obviously directed at me, and it might have come across as more exasperated than it was due to computer tone, as I like to call it ie. not being able to hear the tone of something can make it sound very different.

There's a point when some opinions must be called out, as is the point of this entire board and internet discussion forums. An unpopular opinion like "Cotto drew with Mayweather!" I can sort of understand. It's very unpopular for a good reason, but I can see how some fan bias would get in the way and you could see things slanted in Cotto's favour.

Take your unpopular opinion for example; I can understand it. I don't agree with it at all, and I struggle to see how you couldn't be impressed with their skill etc as a boxing fan, but I can dig that you wouldn't be impressed by those ATG's. It's an opinion that has a basis in personal preference. That makes sense, however unpopular.

Martinez being the equal of Hagler, and the better of Monzon, Hopkins, and other great MW's is not unpopular, because there isn't the slightest basis in reality for it. Opinions should be informed as much as possible and have some reflection of reality and sound reasoning. That's why people aren't cool with someone's opinion of "You have been possessed by the cookie demon of Hellrahkah and he's eating your soul. The only way to get him out is to chop your head off, but don't worry, once I do that you will come back to life". There's a reason no one is going to say "Well, that's unpopular but fair enough" to that opinion.

Anyway, Matt, it wasn't at all meant to sound like I had my 'pantyhose in a bind'.

I do like to point out though that there is a difference between unpopular opinions and opinions that are so removed from reality as to be insane. Martinez above Monzon, Hopkins, Robinson etc etc etc is well up there. However you rate guys, he's well and truly miles behind those guys. There isn't a single category at all, or reason, that you could back that opinion up with. Like I said, it wasn't meant to be offensive, but that is not an unpopular opinion, it's just wrong. It'd be like someone saying Agapito Sanchez is as good as Manny Pacquiao. That's not an unpopular opinion, because it's clear it's an uninformed opinion.

What do ya think? Or did that come across too harsh again? I hope not, because it's not meant to.
            Last edited by BennyST; 04-07-2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              That was obviously directed at me, and it might have come across as more exasperated than it was due to computer tone, as I like to call it ie. not being able to hear the tone of something can make it sound very different.

There's a point when some opinions must be called out, as is the point of this entire board and internet discussion forums. An unpopular opinion like "Cotto drew with Mayweather!" I can sort of understand. It's very unpopular for a good reason, but I can see how some fan bias would get in the way and you could see things slanted in Cotto's favour.

Take your unpopular opinion for example; I can understand it. I don't agree with it at all, and I struggle to see how you couldn't be impressed with their skill etc as a boxing fan, but I can dig that you wouldn't be impressed by those ATG's. It's an opinion that has a basis in personal preference. That makes sense, however unpopular.

Martinez being the equal of Hagler, and the better of Monzon, Hopkins, and other great MW's is not unpopular, because there isn't the slightest basis in reality for it. Opinions should be informed as much as possible and have some reflection of reality and sound reasoning. That's why people aren't cool with someone's opinion of "You have been possessed by the cookie demon of Hellrahkah and he's eating your soul. The only way to get him out is to chop your head off, but don't worry, once I do that you will come back to life". There's a reason no one is going to say "Well, that's unpopular but fair enough" to that opinion.

Anyway, Matt, it wasn't at all meant to sound like I had my 'pantyhose in a bind'.

I do like to point out though that there is a difference between unpopular opinions and opinions that are so removed from reality as to be insane. Martinez above Monzon, Hopkins, Robinson etc etc etc is well up there. However you rate guys, he's well and truly miles behind those guys. There isn't a single category at all, or reason, that you could back that opinion up with. Like I said, it wasn't meant to be offensive, but that is not an unpopular opinion, it's just wrong. It'd be like someone saying Agapito Sanchez is as good as Manny Pacquiao. That's not an unpopular opinion, because it's clear it's an uninformed opinion.

What do ya think? Or did that come across too harsh again? I hope not, because it's not meant to.
              Well, here's what I think: I am absolutely blown away by your effort and in-depth analysis on the topic, but rather than offer a rebuttal, I'll stand by what you quoted of me and let you have the last word.

There's just one other thing, however - who's Matt, or was that a typo and you meant "mate" as they say in Australia?

Comment

Well, here's what I think: I am absolutely blown away by your effort and in-depth analysis on the topic, but rather than offer a rebuttal, I'll stand by what you quoted of me and let you have the last word.

There's just one other thing, however - who's Matt, or was that a typo and you meant "mate" as they say in Australia?
                Marvelous Matt is the guy who has the unpopular opinions!

Comment

Ok.

Comment

• Danny Garcia in my book struck lightening in a bottle with khan and is possibly the most hyped/least talented fighter at the moment

Comment

• Originally posted by tonyjones View Post
                      Danny Garcia in my book struck lightening in a bottle with khan and is possibly the most hyped/least talented fighter at the moment
                      Are you picking Zab Judah to beat him when they fight?

Comment

Working...
                      X