Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Frazier: I would've beat Marciano and Tyson no problem''

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, more close-range than mid-range, but definitely not inside. He's got the same "sweet spot" that Pacquiao does - in your face, but with enough space to wing haymakers. I never really saw him as a phone-booth style inside fighter the way Frazier could be.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      You should talk to them_apples: He's extensively studied Tyson's style with an eye towards using it in his own matches. Tyson was never an in-fighter. He prefered being at mid-range where he could get maximum leverage on his punches. On the inside he might try a quick uppercut but then would clinch so that the ref would put him back out where he wanted to be without him having to expend the energy to work his way out.

I'm also not so sure Tyson was physically stronger than Frazier: Afterall, Evander Holyfield manhandled Tyson with relative ease. While it can rightfully be claimed Mike's skills had deteriorated after prison I don't think a case can be made that he was physically weaker than before.

Poet
      Holyfield was 6'3 225 solid muscle.

Frazier isn't over powering Tyson. I think that fight would end rather quickly in Tyson's favor.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post

Frazier isn't over powering Tyson. I think that fight would end rather quickly in Tyson's favor.
        Holyfield weighed in at 215 for the first Tyson fight. Frazier weighed between 205 and 210 in his prime. Not a whole lot of difference and Frazier was hardly jiggly.

Poet

Comment

It does show the arrogance of Joe frazier to make such claims.He also claimed that had he trained that he would have beaten foreman.

frazier is simply a delusional old man.His son,despite having as bad a chin as his old man,seems sensible enough.He should try talking to his father and try bringing him back to earth in the current time.

Comment

Frazier Tyson is one of the closest matchups I can imagine.. I'd edge towards Tyson, but this isn't the sort of fight I'd put a lot of money on..

Comment

Frazier is a delusional Old Man....

He only ever fought 1 big puncher in his career and we all know what happened there....

Tyson and Marciano would drop Frazier multiple times......Tyson and Rocky both finish Frazier within 3 rounds...

Also Muhammad Ali whooped your ass soo bad in Manilla that he still has you thinking you actually won.....gtfo

Comment

I also would give Tyson the edge but the longer the fight goes,I might give it to Frazier.
                Last edited by Killer Angel; 05-20-2010, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing boy View Post
                  I have to disagree with you.I have watched both fighters fight,and Frazier fought at a faster pace than Marciano.And Frazier could walk through anything that Marciano could throw at him,and give back alot more in return.

Remember,Frazier out weighs Marciano by 20 lbs.Bonevena out weighed Frazier by 20 lbs.Frazier was bigger,stronger,faster,and hit harder than Marciano.He fought at a faster pace than the rock as well.Frazier was also harder to hit with his bobing and weaving.

You can't use the Bonevena fight as an example of how Marciano would fight Frazier.Bonevena weighed 40lbs more than Marciano,and was much stronger.George Foreman also out weighed the rock by 40lbs and would have destroyed Marciano in the same way he did Frazier.

I believe a Frazier-Marciano fight would be a good fight in the early rounds,but Frazier wearing Marciano down with his strength(20lbs heavier)and body shots.And stopping the rock in rounds 10-15,or winning a clear UD.
                  Bonavena and Frazier were actually at the same weight.
                  +-2lbs
                  Tyson,Tua>Frazier>Marciano

Comment

holyfield isnt anywhere close to 6'3.he is 6' tops.holy also fought 2 of the dirtiest fights this side of vic darchinyan.and holy also has a top 10 chin in history unlike smokin joe.he beats rocky,but gets cremated by tyson

Comment

Holyfield was about 6'2 and he never weighed more than 220 pounds. Against Riddick Bowe he weighed 205 pounds. Of course he fought at 190 pounds too.

Earlier Frazier thought he could take advantage of Tyson's mistakes on the inside. Tyson gave a lot of ground in close which could work to Frazier's advantage, as long as he doesn't get caught with the uppercut coming in. Before he rated the likes of Louis and Marciano far above him but he seems to have changed his stance as an old man.
                      Last edited by TheGreatA; 05-20-2010, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X