No announcement yet.

Chad Dawson admits he was weight drained

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by citolindo View Post
    I hope when he fights pascal he lets his hands go. Shows us some old vintage chad. Show us something new to. I want him to make a statement against pascal.
    what's "vintage chad"? the best i've seen him look was with floyd sr and that was due to floyd's strictness and ability to condition fighters the right way...but chad left because he felt sr was being too hard on him in camp

dawson has never really let his hands go as much as he should because he gets hit...johnson outgunned him in the first fight and most feel that was dawson's first loss

any top level fighter with a good workrate should beat dawson...thats why i feel cloud is a stylistic nightmare for the guy

Comment

Not surprised, the only laughable thing here is if Ward didn't take up the "Challenge" then he would have been accuse of ducking, I don't care what all this fights say before a fight, they would say anything to get that payday, they would say they can make the weight but real fans knows they can't make the weight and be HEALTH, Then after losing they would come out and say stuffs like this "Oh I was weight drained".

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
        what's "vintage chad"? the best i've seen him look was with floyd sr and that was due to floyd's strictness and ability to condition fighters the right way...but chad left because he felt sr was being too hard on him in camp

dawson has never really let his hands go as much as he should because he gets hit...johnson outgunned him in the first fight and most feel that was dawson's first loss

any top level fighter with a good workrate should beat dawson...thats why i feel cloud is a stylistic nightmare for the guy
        Seem like he always does enough to win. LIke he is bored or something, never go the extra mile, I have to see after the pascal fight what dawson can bring to the future of boxing. The ward fight has me confuse at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by citolindo View Post
          Seem like he always does enough to win. LIke he is bored or something, never go the extra mile, I have to see after the pascal fight what dawson can bring to the future of boxing. The ward fight has me confuse at the moment.

yes but barely so...the only two fights i can remember dawson dominating from 1-12 were the johnson rematch and diaconu

i think u're spot on with the being bored statement though

i compare dawson to paul williams, a good champion near the top level but at the peak of his boxing talent. williams, like dawson, didnt show improvements in the latter part of his career. he's been trained and managed by the best yet has still to reach superstardom or show extraordinary talent

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
            the difference is most of those fighters actually looked drained at the weigh in...dawson looked ripped but he didnt look weak

dawson didnt said he struggled making weight, not throughout camp, not on the day of the weigh in and not on the day of the fight...but he is saying it now...and what other choice does he have after being humiliated by ward? he's still the lineal champ at 175 and is still trying to hold onto whatever name value he has...how else would he garner interest in his next fight after such a bad loss...by making excuses

old rjj did it to make money with trinidad and calzaghe

allan green did it after being KOed by a 40+ johnson

erik morales did it after being destroyed by pac in their second fight...

Of course Dawson did`nt admit he was drained leading up to the fight,he did`nt want to ruin ticket sales.Just because a fighter looked ripped that don`t mean he was`nt drained.

And Roy Jones was not a big light-heavyweight to begin with and Erik Morales was weight drained when he fought Pac the second and third time.It was well known that Morales was struggled make 130 which is why after he beat Pacquiao the first time he moved up in weight.

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
              OAKLAND — One of the biggest questions leading into Saturday night’s super middleweight title fight between Andre Ward and Chad Dawson (9:45 pm, HBO) will be settled on Friday, when Dawson, a longtime 175-pounder, steps on the scale and attempts to make 168 pounds for the first time since 2006.

At Thursday’s final press conference, Dawson — who told SI.com he weighed 170-pounds this morning — claimed he would have no trouble coming in on-weight.

“I’ll make the weight, no problem,” Dawson said. “I’m still eating. I told everyone I could make 168. I wasn’t saying it to sell a fight, I was saying it because I can do it. We have talked about moving to 168 for the last few years. When I finally had the opportunity to do it, I did it.”

Dawson credits an altered diet for his ability to slim down effectively

“The only difference is that I’m not able to eat what I want,” Dawson said. “Before, I would eat steak, mashed potatoes, burgers. Now I’m on a good nutrition plan. I’m eating vegetables, fish, and chicken. I feel a lot faster, a lot stronger.”

Ward said he has not thought about what will happen should Dawson come in overweight.

“There will be some ramifications,” Ward said. “But we haven’t even discussed it. There will be more money [going to me]. But it’s not really something I’m dwelling on.”

Ward’s trainer, Virgil Hunter, said that because of the money involved for both fighters, the fight will go on even if Dawson comes in heavy.

“The belts will come off the line and there will be a certain weight he can’t go over [on Saturday], but it will go on,” Hunter said. “Honestly, if he came in over, I wouldn’t be surprised. When you look at the demeanor of the people around him compared to earlier, they look different. They are concerned about something. They would have to throw us some money, but the fight will go on.”
              Dawson would claim he could make 154 lbs if that means he could get a shot at Floyd, and after he collects his check then he would say he is weight drained. It is all about the money

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                Ward doesn't get a pass, he weight drained Dawson, if you are one of those who says Pacquiao weight drains fighters because he fights a catchweight 1-2 pounds below the limit but don't believe Dawson fighting a full weight class below the limit wasn't drained you are just a hypocrite.

Some guys actually think pacs catchweights are more draining than what Dawson had to do to make 168 just because it wasn't at a catchweight.

but like I said for Pacquiao I will say the same for Ward, you cannot blame them, and you must give Pacman and Ward full credit because those guys who fought them supposedly drained agreed upon the limit in negotiations.
                dawson challenged ward at 168. the only comparable cw fight you could make with this is de la hoya at 147. pacquiao's 2 other catchweights aren't comparable; he drained fighters for no real reason at all. they even wanted mosley all the way down to 142 back when he was "too good."

Comment

It was clear to anyone who knows Boxing he was weight drained and most people knew he would be long before they got in the ring. At the end of the day Chad took the risk on and cleared a big payday so he should get on with his career and leave the excuse out. Too be honest Ward is another level anyway and would beat him just as easy at Light Heavy.

Comment

That's why boxers should never "run their mouth" talking, He asked for it, He got it and He lost it. NO EXCUSES

Comment

No big surprise there, thought everyone knew this?

Comment

Working...
                      X