Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were the past greats really that great!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post

Only a few of today's fighters can fight on the inside..let alone survive 15 round fights.

Canelo is 21 and he was breathing hard after 3 rounds...

The Klit Bros gass-out easilly..

Evidently many of today's fighters haven't taken advantage of all those advanced training techniques and nutrition....

All that crap is a MYTH....

The biggest era for heavyweights was from 1920's to the 1950's..
    this all the way.

Comment

This is a topic in which there will not a specific point on who's right.

We are talking about Technology, 12 rounds, diets, ect.

Go back in time and tell me how this generation would do against the past one.

Or Bring the old school into this generation and tell me how would they do with so many different types of boxing instead of dealing with a fight foward mentality only.

Comment

Originally posted by hearnsfan86 View Post
        I think were steering off the topic here. Im not talking about diets and fitness training, as im pretty sure the older fighters were freaks of nature when it came to fitness. Im talking about the sweet science, head movement, defense, ring generalship e.t.c......

Basically how boxing technique has evolved, not fitness methods
        Well, my post was in response to the 'evolution of the sport' due to 'new training methods and diets'.

I'd like a breakdown of the difference between Mayweather and Robinson respectively. Should be easy since it's apparently so drastic and someone as evolved as Mayweather must use all of the new training methods and diets.

As for ring generalship an defense, I don't see how that's really a drastic improvment.

Locche is more naturally gifted than about 90% of the fighters of the last decade.

The list goes on an on.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysOnTop View Post
          Not having a strength and conditioning coach would be the least of Pac's problems.

What modern boxing equipment....?????????????????????

Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey had....

Speed bags
          Heavy bags
          Double-end bags
          They hit the mitts
          They sparred
          They swam
          They chopped wood
          They swung sledge hammers
          Medicine balls
          free weights
          Jump rope
          weight machines and devices of every type and description..
          ect ect ect..

And they ate PURE food and CLEAN water free of lead...mercury..strontium 90..aluminum. ect ect....they didn't have radio-active isotopes embedded in their DNA.

ALL fighters from the past had a STRICT DIET and training regiment..

The only thing they didn't have is video tape,air-conditioned gyms...and PLENTY places to eat ALL THE TIME.

You muthafu.cka's have to stop repeating dumb shi.t your heard from some loser that doesn't have a clue..
          Please tell me who im repeating

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Can someone explain and breakdown the drastic differences in diet and training regimes between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Sugar Ray Robinson.

What does Mayweather, possibly the most gifted fighter of the last few decades, do differently that makes him so much more modern and evolved than Robinson?

Chin ups? Jump rope? Heavybag? Pads?

What about diet? What's in Mayweather's diet that makes him so much more evolved than Robinson?

Meat? Vegetables?
            I don't know about diet, but do you know anything about if Robinson drank alcohol or smoked anything? Because Floyd supposedly does not drink or smoke, and is always caught with a bottle of water at clubs. I am on the old school fighters side here, if you wanna call it that way, I am actually just on the side that styles make fights, and a new school fighter has as much of a chance at beating an old school fighter and vice versa, it all depends on style. But people who smoke cigarette or drink are not going to look 100% against a health freak like Floyd. It's like a guy who regularly smokes weed and tries to play basketball, he'll be huffing and puffing in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by hearnsfan86 View Post
              Again, your thinking too much in the present. 15 round fights are all well and good. Jack johnson used to fight 40 round fights!!! he stopped jess willard in the 26th round ( i think it was the 26th )
              You don't even know what you're talking about.

I am from a boxing family..

Training and diet have REGRESSED not advanced..

Boxing isn't like football or basketball...these guys today are GOING BACKWARDS..

My Grandad and the guys before him have forgotten more about boxing...training...and diet..than fighters today could ever learn.

You are only repeating what some Skip Bayless or Micheal Wilbon type pulled out of his as.s

Today's fighters don't even have the stanima to employ the gruelling 'bob n' weave' style..

hmmm

WHERE ARE THE BOB AND WEAVERS...?????

Defense is the hardest thing to learn about boxing..it takes a level of commitment and HEART most fighters today lack...

Today

Defense is all but a lost art.
              Last edited by AlwaysOnTop; 12-16-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

back when smoking was hip and "healthy"

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
                  back when smoking was hip and "healthy"
                  Smoking was never hip and healthy in boxing..

Most fighters back then didn't smoke..

Comment

Originally posted by NAPO View Post
                    This is a topic in which there will not a specific point on who's right.

We are talking about Technology, 12 rounds, diets, ect.

Go back in time and tell me how this generation would do against the past one.

Or Bring the old school into this generation and tell me how would they do with so many different types of boxing instead of dealing with a fight foward mentality only.
                    What technology are you talking about though?

It sounds like fighters arms are being surgically removed with steel arms that can punch through walls or something. Man you guys are making these new fighters sound like they're part of some science fiction movie. Styles make fights, you put a guy like Margarito in with a Sugar Ray Robinson, all the science in the world won't help Margarito win that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      What technology are you talking about though?

It sounds like fighters arms are being surgically removed with steel arms that can punch through walls or something. Man you guys are making these new fighters sound like they're part of some science fiction movie. Styles make fights, you put a guy like Margarito in with a Sugar Ray Robinson, all the science in the world won't help Margarito win that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X