No announcement yet.

Rigo's contact situation is undeniable PROOF that Al Haymon is GOOD for Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Yea I guess thats the main thing we are in disagreement with. His matchmaking it sounds like. You think he's lining up opponents (often subpar) for his fighters & I think he's just getting his fighters the most money, most eyes on the fights they want whatever level of fight they are in.

I think the known public info of the details involved in this & Haymon's job in the sport over most of his time in it suggest I'm more correct. If you just look at the fights that have been made & put all the blame on Haymon instead of HBO, Showtime or whoever or his own fighters desire to not fight the best guy available every time out than you'd come to the conclusion you've come to.
    Even if Haymon was just a "manager" (I don't think he is), there's more to being a manager than just getting a guy the most money. If his fighters only fight subpar competition, then part of that shows me that he's content with negotiating good money for bad fighters over bigger money for good fighters. When you got guys like DLH saying Haymon didn't want LSC fighting Rigo (despite good money), then you naturally think these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
      Even if Haymon was just a "manager" (I don't think he is)
      He's clearly more than that now. Most of his time in boxing he was just "a manager" although with bigger ideas than most managers based on whats happened this year.

there's more to being a manager than just getting a guy the most money. If his fighters only fight subpar competition, then part of that shows me that he's content with negotiating good money for bad fighters over bigger money for good fighters.
      Again theres more going on doe. The manager sets you up with opportunities based on your goals/desires/demands & you yay or nay them. The boxer is making the final decision. The manager works for the boxer at the end of the day. And the TV networks make the decision on what fights to show or not show at the end of the day.

Haymon was the middleman between the boxer & the network/promoter. If the boxer isn't on board the fight gets denied, if the network isn't on board the fight doesn't get on air.

And so called bad fights get put on TV all the time. HBO is the gold standard in boxing I think we'd all agree. And HBO banned Haymon or w/e a year or two ago & this year they showed mismatches like GGG vs Monroe, Kovalev vs that pizza delivery guy, GGG vs Lemeiux (on PPV lol), Alvarez vs Kirkland & Verdejo vs Nejera among others. Not to mention over the last couple years they've tried to sell Zou Shiming like he's the Chinese Sugar Ray Leonard which was a hustle even casual fans were able to see.

I was looking at the HBO site about a month ago & was reminded that back in the 90's HBO showed RJJ vs postmen & police officers/part time boxers often for a stretch. And they showed a host of ****ty HW fights in their history from Lou Savarese vs Lance Whitaker to Greg Page vs Larry Alexander, they were like a higher caliber of USA Boxing during Foreman & Holmes comebacks vs random unemployable overweight guys.

HBO has showed mismatches before, during & after Haymon so to suggest that Haymon is the mastermind of mismatches like no one has seen before when his fighters have been involved in so many big fights is kinda silly. Floyd has fought everyone, Maidana seems like a cat who'd fight anyone & largely did, Shawn Porter seems like a cat willing to fight anyone & thats still happening, Erislandy Lara is still a guy no one wants to fight but he's fought Canelo, Trout & Paul Williams, I think Chavez Jr.'s first fight with Haymon he fought Fonfara which everyone including Chavez Sr said was a bad idea, Jermain Taylor fought a bunch of good to great fighters & just go look at these PBC cards & see all the undefeated prospects or prospects in general that are fighting each other. And PBC is putting on more big fights than anyone in boxing EXCEPT HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
        What does that have to do with Haymon? Everyone knows Haymons strategy is guiding his fighters to belts and keeping them there stagnant. Not sure much would have changed for Golovkin's resume, might even be slightly worse, might just be coming off a Jacob/Quillin win and going on to fight the other guy. With Haymon the fighters are kept in a bubble outside of reality(just done watching that southpark episode).
        Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        Haymon discourages long term promotional contracts. Promoters have to compete to promote fights, not fighters. Without these contracts, fights will get made.
        srry bruh, you’re a good poster, it’s just happenchance on this thread, but.

Comment

Working...
        X