No announcement yet.

American amateur boxing..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American amateur boxing..

in fairness, ramirez, diaz jr, spence, and especially gausha all look like they'll make good pros.

Comment

Well Americans seem to do fine in the pro's

Comment

Unlucky USA, but to be fair, I wouldn't say any of your losses were too unfair. Certainly not controversial.

Back to the drawing board. Sure you'll do better in Rio.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2012 View Post
          Well Americans seem to do fine in the pro's
          This is not the pro's it's the amateurs. But you're correct, American's are good in the pro's, but their style isn't suited to amateur boxing.

Comment

Yet, they do much better than any other nation in the world at the pro game....the only game that matters. It's proof that amateur boxing is and will always be a joke because it doesn't translate to the pro game like it used to. The judging is horrific(if we can't score pro fighting what do you think happens when you have judges scoring single punches), the head gear is a problem, and also the style that it is fought at awards fighters even though it rarely works in the pro game. A pressure fighter is sorely hindered by the amateur scoring. All in all it's a joke, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
              This is not the pro's it's the amateurs. But you're correct, American's are good in the pro's, but their style isn't suited to amateur boxing.
              That amateur style is all pity pat punching,it is rare to see solid well rounded fights in the AM'S due to the point system crap

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                Yet, they do much better than any other nation in the world at the pro game....the only game that matters. It's proof that amateur boxing is and will always be a joke because it doesn't translate to the pro game like it used to. The judging is horrific(if we can't score pro fighting what do you think happens when you have judges scoring single punches), the head gear is a problem, and also the style that it is fought at awards fighters even though it rarely works in the pro game. A pressure fighter is sorely hindered by the amateur scoring. All in all it's a joke, seriously.
                If it's the only game that matters, why are you seemingly upset about your nations failure?

The officiating is terrible in the amateur sport I agree, and the American's have been unlucky, but you can't criticise amateur boxing simply because you have performed poorly.

The amateur sport of boxing isn't supposed to be exactly like the pro's. It's about scoring clean blows and hitting and not being hit.

I just wish it was officiated in a better manner, because a good amateur fight is really something special and shows off the true skill of boxing. The pro game is a blood sport, the AM game is ballet.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
                  If it's the only game that matters, why are you seemingly upset about your nations failure?

The officiating is terrible in the amateur sport I agree, and the American's have been unlucky, but you can't criticise amateur boxing simply because you have performed poorly.

The amateur sport of boxing isn't supposed to be exactly like the pro's. It's about scoring clean blows and hitting and not being hit.

I just wish it was officiated in a better manner, because a good amateur fight is really something special and shows off the true skill of boxing. The pro game is a blood sport, the AM game is ballet.
                  I'm not mad, I just think amateur boxing has become a shell of itself. I actually think it is sending the wrong message to fighters and could be encouraging to fight a certain style as a pro that will not benefit their career. I look at Amir Khan for example....Perfect amateur style but still getting laid out by fighters. I just feel the amateur program should be used to groom fighters, not be a different style. The head gear has got to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                    I'm not mad, I just think amateur boxing has become a shell of itself. I actually think it is sending the wrong message to fighters and could be encouraging to fight a certain style as a pro that will not benefit their career. I look at Amir Khan for example....Perfect amateur style but still getting laid out by fighters. I just feel the amateur program should be used to groom fighters, not be a different style. The head gear has got to go.
                    The worlds best fighters - Ward and Mayweather - cease to exist without the fundamentals of the amateur sport. And Khan only get's KO'd because he has a bad chin, and he wasn't really a model AM anyway.

Remove the headgear and the sport can't operate in its current format. Bruising and cuts would see to that. The only thing that needs to change is the point system, and the officials.

Comment

Working...
                    X