Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Middleweights were better then Hopkins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
    Well i would of called a draw personally, but if pushed on the issue i would of leaned towards Hopkins, why? because at least he imposed his game plan on Calzaghe, albeit he did do it for long enough, that is why i cant give him the fight, that said he (Hopkins) was the more effective out of the two imo.
    Imposed his game plan? I didn't see it that way. I saw Hopkins throwing and landing the far more effective shots. However in all sports, no matter how good your D is, you have to score more points than the other guy. Calzaghe was throwing and landing his awkward looking slap shots and scoring his pitty-pat points. I wanted to give more rounds to Hopkins but I couldn't. You can't stand against the ropes for 2 minutes a round, not throwing punches, and expect to win the round cause you landed a few effective shots. Meanwhile Calzaghe is throwing everything but the kitchen sink and landing few effective shots.

My question is: If Calzaghe's shots were the pitty-pat shots they looked like, why didn't Hopkins slip them and **** Calzaghe up?

I don't know? Is he better than he looks like on TV; did Hopkins have a bad night? Don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
      Imposed his game plan? I didn't see it that way. I saw Hopkins throwing and landing the far more effective shots. However in all sports, no matter how good your D is, you have to score more points than the other guy. Calzaghe was throwing and landing his awkward looking slap shots and scoring his pitty-pat points. I wanted to give more rounds to Hopkins but I couldn't. You can't stand against the ropes for 2 minutes a round, not throwing punches, and expect to win the round cause you landed a few effective shots. Meanwhile Calzaghe is throwing everything but the kitchen sink and landing few effective shots.

My question is: If Calzaghe's shots were the pitty-pat shots they looked like, why didn't Hopkins slip them and **** Calzaghe up?

I don't know? Is he better than he looks like on TV; did Hopkins have a bad night? Don't know.

I terms of making Calzaghe fight his fight instead of vice versa, he did that.

Calzaghe was throwing and landing his awkward looking slap shots and scoring his pitty-pat points

Well i did not see him landing much apart from a straight left hand that he connected with, most people dont think he landed with much. Which ever way you look at it neither of them deserved to take the fight from the other man and be declared the winner.

Comment

Which ever way you look at it neither of them deserved to take the fight from the other man and be declared the winner.
        So true. I reluctantly gave the fight to Calzaghe. Still Hopkins was so effective against Pavlik that I have to wonder if Calzaghe is better than I think he is as Hopkins did close to nothing for 11 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
          So true. I reluctantly gave the fight to Calzaghe. Still Hopkins was so effective against Pavlik that I have to wonder if Calzaghe is better than I think he is as Hopkins did close to nothing for 11 rounds.
          Thing is........Pavlik fought at a snails pace, Calzaghe might not have been landing much imo, but he was forcing Hopkins around the ring and making him expend energy with the thought of an attack, Pavlik's fight should of been pressing Hopkins near the ropes, not standing in centre where you knew he would get took to school because of inferior skills & speed disparity, and to make Hopkins life that much easier he was not throwing anything either, that said Hopkins was still clinging on for dear life at the end, how many times was he warned for excessive holding ? i felt sure the ref was going to take a point because of the amount of holding he was doing, and because of the amount warnings he had.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            Monzon
            Hagler
            Jones
            Greb
            Robinson
            Ketchel

Would be my pick, but they'd all go to the wire..
            Have to disagree with some of you.. I thought Calzaghe won the fight by 2 rounds..
            I'd go with that list too.

Comment

Thing is........Pavlik fought at a snails pace, Calzaghe might not have been landing much imo, but he was forcing Hopkins around the ring and making him expend energy with the thought of an attack, Pavlik's fight should of been pressing Hopkins near the ropes, not standing in centre where you knew he would get took to school because of inferior skills & speed disparity, and to make Hopkins life that much easier he was not throwing anything either, that said Hopkins was still clinging on for dear life at the end, how many times was he warned for excessive holding ? i felt sure the ref was going to take a point because of the amount of holding he was doing, and because of the amount warnings he had.
              Hopkins outclassed Pavlik. Two points could have been taken away from Hopkins without changing the outcome. Pavlik has heart and a punch and I think he has talent. Now he needs a first class trainer.

Comment

Working...
              X