No announcement yet.

Edwin Valero: Boxing’s New #1 Threat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Valero: Boxing’s New #1 Threat

By Michael Feliciano: In the wake of Edwin Valero’s knockout win over Antonio Demarco (23-2, 17 KOs) last month on February 6 which brought him to an incredible record of (28-0, 28 KOs), it is easy to assume that only blockbuster fights against caliber fighters lie ahead for him. However, the Venezuelan native may soon instead find himself begging boxers to join him in the ring. He has already called out Juan Manuel Marquez (50-5, 37 KOs) and boxing’s new golden boy Manny Pacquiao (50-3, 38 KOs) but I don’t think anyone really expects either of these fights to take place. A fight with Valero is just too risky for established pugilists like them.

Valero is an animal in the ring and at the sound of the bell, he seems to have one thing on his mind; blood and he has yet to take a step back any of his fights. He mirrors another fighter who has already captured the world of boxing with his relentless attack and fearless performances Manny Pacquiao. His relentlessness in the ring and his non stop attack make him the same type of fighter as Pacquiao, cut from the same cloth but not nearly as disciplined.

However Pacquiao is much more disciplined. Where Valero is a hungry beast with a huge appetite, Pacquiao is a learned hunter and if Valero continues his reckless assaults in the ring, he’ll find his new found glory short lived. But like I said, I doubt Pacquiao will fight him since the risk is much greater than the reward and at the moment Valero is still in the lightweight division and is not nearly as well known.

Conceivably, Valero could face Juan Manuel Marquez especially since he recently pulled out of negotiations for a fight against the British star Amir Khan (22-1, 16 KOs) after being offered to little money. But again, Marquez has little to gain from fighting a guy like Valero and at his age it’d be a little dangerous considering all the wars he has been through already two of which were against Pacquiao.

Valero would be better off facing the other top-tier contenders in the lightweight division like Juan Diaz (35-3, 17 KOs) or Michael Kastidis (26-2, 21 KOs) for example. Both fights would be easy for him and knockout wins against either of them would get him even more recognition and acclaim. But as he has stated previously, he feels he is ready for the big time fighters. Perhaps a move to the Jr. Welterweight division would serve him well considering all the name talent at 140lb.

Usually, for a boxer take on a big challenge he has to feel there a chance to win and unfortunately, Valero’s astonishing 100% knockout ratio gives little room for comfort. At 28, Edwin Valero is in his prime and it’s logical that he and his camp want to face the superstars of the sport. Given his remarkable record, Valero has earned the right to call out anyone he wants and as long as his health and behavior remains in tact he can continue to do so. It seems however, that no one seems to be ready for him. Bad timing perhaps.

The ferocity and excitement that Edwin Valero brings to the ring on fight night are key elements to great boxing and it would be more than a shame if he is evaded by the current stars of the sport. Let’s just hope that some one of notoriety takes up the challenge and gives him a chance to become a superstar.

Valero is still a big Question mark for me.

Especially at 140

Comment

The author seems to think Valero is still reckless, he must have missed the Demarco fight where he was actually blocking and getting out of the way of shots. I don't see Valero beating the best at 140, I'm sure he gives all of them hell though. Edwin Valero vs. Juan Diaz is a good fight, Valero vs. the winner of Katsidis-Mitchell is another great matchup.

Comment

Valero batters Diaz easily. I would also bet on him beating Katsidis or Mitchell.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

He's like a firework... dazzling but I think in the end it will end horribly with his brain condition.

Comment

Valero appears to be a product of hype as he’s fought largely no one of any real note, mainly fighting C fighters with a couple of B class fighters mixed in for good measure. He certainly hasn’t been tested at this point in his boxing career, and in his one fight against a good fighter (Vicente Mosquera) Valero was dropped in the 3rd round and had to struggle for the rest of the way, taking a lot of big shots, before pulling it out with a TKO in the 10th round in August 2006. Since that time, Valero has been matched carefully, and hasn’t had to take on any equally tough fighters in that class, which is why Valero is still currently undefeated.

Comment

How bad exactly was his brain injury

Comment

Katsidis vs Valero would be a war.

Comment

Valero is the truth. But I dunno how he will be at 140 to be honest. He should stay at 135 and fight the likes of JMM or Juan Diaz.

Comment

Valero is going to get tooled by Peterson

Comment

Working...
                    X