No announcement yet.

Showtime may lose big on Mayweather Gamble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showtime may lose big on Mayweather Gamble

This past week NY Daily News sunday edition had a Bob Raisman article which he compared the Mayweather deal to the Tyson debacle Showtime suffered years ago. Showtime lost millions on a multi-fight deal toward the end of Tyson's career. Initially Showtime did well with Tyson when he fought Holyfield twice; actually setting a PPV record until broken by Mayweather-DLH. However, by the time Tyson lost to Mcbride the network was on the red in terms of Tyson.

This brings us to the six fight Mayweather deal. It is a risky gamble as Mayweather is in the final stretch of his career. Are there six major opponents out there for Mayweather? Yes, but how likely is that he will face some of these big names? We can pretty much eliminate S. Martinez and Pac(even if he beats Marquez, Mayweather won't deal with Arum).

The fact that Mayweather won't sign a conditional stipulation essentially mandating a fight with Canelo, may mean that Showtime has limited veto power in choosing Mayweather opponents. If Showtime did have veto power they likely would have mandated a match with Canelo. It is possible that Mayweather may end up fighting Alvarez anyway.

The only fighters penciled in for the May 4 undercard are Andres Gutierrez and Hasim Rahman Jr, not exactly a promising card for fans. IMHO this is looking more like a regular showtime bout than a PPV event.

Only time will tell if Showtime's gamble pays off. CBS with their major money will obviously help, but it may be too late.
    Last edited by HaglerSteelChin; 02-27-2013, 09:34 PM.

Definitely would be interested to see how much say Showtime has in picking Floyd's opponents. I am sure they will not be too pleased to see Floyd fight Devon Alexander type fights instead of the names the fans want to see.

Comment

That is a lot of money to bet on a 36 year old fighter, but as long as Floyd doesn't lose the first fight they should be alright.

Comment

Which is why he will fight very easy opponents. Made to order for him to win. No real super fights will come out of this deal. This is for ratings only and Floyds bank as he cashes out into retirement. He will not lose his 0 to anyone. Unless he by some chance gets nailed by a clean shot by some b-c class fighter.

Comment

cant lose when you on Floyds side...all he does is win

Comment

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
            cant lose when you on Floyds side...all he does is win
            Then he (you) should fight Canelo. You aren't scared of a white boy are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Critical
              going to jail = winning

Yea, Online in the black dumb people eyes.
              wow really?whos alt are you?
              Originally posted by mathed View Post
              Then he (you) should fight Canelo. You aren't scared of a white boy are you?
              Canelo is next

Comment

Originally posted by Critical
                going to jail = winning

Yea, Online in the black dumb people eyes.
                they are already getting slack for supporting a woman beater!

Comment

Does anyone know how the showtime deal works or is it a secret? How much is showtime paying him and how? Are they paying him a set amount per fight or are they paying him for 6 fights over 3 years or what? If he fights the best possible opponents it becomes more and more possible he could lose and much of the luster will be gone. If he fights only guys he knows he can beat that won't go over very well with the paying customers. I think he will stay at 147. I think his next fight will be the winner of the Alexander-Brook fight. Then if Khan has not lost by then I think he goes to England and beats up Khan. If Bradley leaves Arum I could see him fighting Bradley. It remains to be seen if Showtime made a great deal or not.

Comment

I thought I heard where he was guaranteed 30 million per ppv fight? But what if Canelo loses to Trout? Who will Floyd match up against? Seriously? Alexander, Khan, Matthyse?

I also heard he can opt out of his Showtime deal after the first fight. So we shall see how it plays out.

Comment

Working...
                    X