Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could somebody defend Mike Tyson as an ATG for me?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
    Pinklon Thomas! Tony Tubbs! Tyrell Biggs!

Yeah man, he really beat murderer's row, didn't he.

much like jones, the reason we think of the people he beat as bums is cause the way mike beat them. before for that they where fighters with inside reps.

and Pinklon Thomas is a famlly friend, most people couldn't go throught half of what he went through and smile , he's a champ to me

Comment

Originally posted by mr.thraz View Post
      much like jones, the reason we think of the people he beat as bums is cause the way mike beat them. before for that they where fighters with inside reps.

and Pinklon Thomas is a famlly friend, most people couldn't go throught half of what he went through and smile , he's a champ to me
      No shit? That's cool. He's actually one of Tyson's better wins, I just picked him because he has a funny name. Cool that you guys are friends.

And Jones clearly has a better resume.

Comment

No shit? That's cool. He's actually one of Tyson's better wins, I just picked him because he has a funny name. Cool that you guys are friends.

And Jones clearly has a better resume.
        pink is like an uncle who would come over once and awhile and drink too much with my dad, lol.

jones resume is better but he fought in four divisons .

mike fought in a weak hw divistion but in that diviston he ruled with ko's

at the time of his retirement he hade a 75 % ko ratio. it was something like 90% before his first loss.

rising stars at hw couldnt hit him and when they opened up agression to try to compete they got ko'd.

former champs didn't do much better. current champs of the time got spanked.

bowe and lewis weren't ranked really yet, holyfeild was a cruserweight champ.. forman hadn't comeback yet, moore was a light heveyweight prospect.

the unified undesputed god of boxing before douglas got to him was mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
          It's kinda like how we have the K Bros. The competition might not be the most exciting but the skills they showed and the dominance they had/have is undeniable. It's just the way it is. Breaking passing records in the NFL is easier today than it was 10 years ago and we're celebrating guys for it, that doesn't mean it's not a great accomplishment or that anyone can do it.
          Honestly though, there is a different criteria for the word "era" when people discuss Mike Tyson. In no other case is 3 0r 4 years considered an "era" of Boxing except in discussions of Tyson.

What we can accurately say of him is that he dominated everyone while he was dominating, not that he dominated his era.
          Last edited by res; 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Actually people were talking about how horrible the heavyweight division was a whole lot before Tyson came on the seen, and Tyson was greeted at the time as a "savior" of the heavyweight division.

Come on man, the guy holding the title (Trevor Berbick) had been beaten four times before he ever even met Tyson, once via first round KO. It was just an extremely weak period.
            Last edited by res; 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
              Honestly though, there is a different criteria for the word "era" when people discuss Mike Tyson. In no other case is 3 0r 4 years considered an "era" of Boxing except in discussions of Tyson.

What we can accurately say of him is that he dominated everyone while he was dominating, not that he dominated his era.
              Hit the nail right on the head. If he had dominated his "era" he would have taken on Bowe, Holyfield and Lewis.

Comment

Tyson didn't really dominate the division, though. Right as he was in position to do it, he went to jail and lost to Buster Douglas. One win over a luminary heavyweight would have been enough. But he doesn't have one. The Klistchkos have actually dominated.
                Mike Tyson didn't dominate his division?

He well and truley cleaned it out winning every single belt.

I'd say that's dominating your division.

Comment

Pinklon was a good fighter too.

I'd pick him to beat anyone today outside of the Klitschko's.

Comment

Tyson essentially dominated in an era where there were no other great boxers.

Tyson doesn't belong in the top ten, for the sole fact that he NEVER, in his entire career, defeated a Tier 1 fighter.

All the big names he beat were way past his prime. Yes, he beat Berbick (who beat Ali), but Berbick was 5 years past his prime and so was Ali.

To be fair, Tyson would probably make the top 20.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Mike Tyson didn't dominate his division?

He well and truley cleaned it out winning every single belt.

I'd say that's dominating your division.
                      He was percolating and then Douglas happened and then he never got it back. If he had held it together, he would have completely cleaned up the division. Like completely. Not having Holyfield on his ledger (post-prison mike doesn't even factor into his ATG status imo) is a huge, huge, huge blow. Even if Holyfield had beaten him, as long as the fight had been competitive, it would be a massive boon to his status.

Comment

Working...
                      X