Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was it about Margarito that made some of you think he was a threat to beat Money

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather could have tried to use the blueprint laid out by Mosley on how to beat Margarito, but I don't think Mayweather is as comfortable in the pocket as Mosley is. Also Mosley was strong enough to muscle Margs around. Don't think Floyd can. He would have to rely on a lot of movement and holding -- his potshots and combinations won't do anything to prime Margarito.

Comment

• Originally posted by IFightDirty View Post
      Styles makes fights remember. Floyd handled Pacquiao, Cotto, Canelo, ODH relatively easy but Maidana had success in the first fight. Sometimes its better to be a B/C fighter with a certain style than an A fighter with a style that favors Floyd. Anyway Margaritos come forward, pressuring style, activity and iron clad chin would hypothetically make it interesting. I think Floyd wins but if someone had the "style", not saying ability, but the style to make things interesting it would be Margarito.

Paul Williams, probably more.

Less dumb, for lack of a better term. Quicker with his hands as well.

Agree with everything you said though. Just my opinion that PWill was basically Margarito but with a little higher IQ and quicker hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        Paul Williams, probably more.

Less dumb, for lack of a better term. Quicker with his hands as well.

Agree with everything you said though. Just my opinion that PWill was basically Margarito but with a little higher IQ and quicker hands.
        True, I think Williams would be a tougher match up against Floyd for the reasons you said. Also the fact he was a very tall and very awkward southpaw who JABBED. But nonetheless, the thread is about Margz, but yeah this is why people wanted that fight to happen even if he was a couple tiers below Floyd. ****, Floyd fought Ortiz and Guerrero why not someone with certain qualites that can make it interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by IFightDirty View Post
          True, I think Williams would be a tougher match up against Floyd for the reasons you said. Also the fact he was a very tall and very awkward southpaw who JABBED. But nonetheless, the thread is about Margz, but yeah this is why people wanted that fight to happen even if he was a couple tiers below Floyd. ****, Floyd fought Ortiz and Guerrero why not someone with certain qualites that can make it interesting.
          Hopkins owning all of P.R. Man I love that sig, I think I'm gonna take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
            Reading your post, maybe you need to be refreshed with what happened but it was Margarito that beat up Cotto.

Margarito had the size, stamina and work rate that gave Cotto lots of trouble and even though Cotto tried his best, he just couldn't stop the onslaught coming from Margarito. I would say that both left a little in the ring that night and it was a great fight.

You can think what you want but Floyd wanted no part of Margarito. He had a choice to fight him but selected to fight no name, who cares Baldomir.

Margarito and Cotto that fought eachother that night, would have both beat Floyd that night. Cotto was a beast early, but eventually wore out. Agaoinst Floyd, he would have touched him up early and often, setting him up to down later. Tony, stamina as good as anyone, ever. He'd have beat the **** out of Floyd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
              I mean, although speed isn't everything as we've learned time and time again, one still needs a certain degree of speed to tangle with Mayweather and Margarito simply does not have that. Margarito's size, durability, conditioning and willingness to walk through everything only means that Mayweather isn't gonna look too good winning but nonetheless it'll still be one sided.
              If Margarito had a good jab and fought tall he would be successful vs floyd but he was a walking punching bag who depended on a size advantage...nothing to do with skills

Comment

• The issue with Margarito is that Floyd was going to have to keep hitting him, which would be no problem, but the question was, would Floyd's hands hold up.

Comment

• Margarito was made the Mayweather's boogyeman only because Mayweather chose to fight Judah and Baldomir instead.
                  Had he fought Margarito instead of Baldomir, (and as slow as Margarito was Floyd would have humiliated him) people would say Mayweather avoided Baldomir..

Comment

• Originally posted by Buckfever View Post
                    The issue with Margarito is that Floyd was going to have to keep hitting him, which would be no problem, but the question was, would Floyd's hands hold up.
                    Floyd wasnt going to be dumb enough to trade or fight in a phone booth when that was margos only shot though

Margarito is so basic, did nothing great...just was a big mfer at ww with a great chin, stamina and heart...very good fighter but didnt have enough in the tool shed to beat floyd

Comment

• I don't know if you guys remember but EVERYBODY was looked at as a hopeful towards beating Floyd (and also as somebody Floyd was somehow ducking). Before Hatton it was Tszyu, before Tszyu it was Judah, etc etc... It happens with every great fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X