Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you keep your loved one alive for 42 years in a coma?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you keep your loved one alive for 42 years in a coma?

That's a lot of money for medical expenses and unfortunately for this family, the woman died. Sad story. She was in a coma since she was 16.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...id=msnhp&pos=5
    A woman who lived in a coma for 42 years, meticulously cared for by her family, died Wednesday in her home in Miami Gardens, Fla., the Miami Herald reported.

Edwarda O’Bara was a 16-year-old high school student in 1970 when she became sick from her diabetes medication and slipped into a diabetic coma.
    According to the Herald, just before she lost consciousness, Edwarda asked her mother, Kaye O’Bara, to never leave her side, and her family never did.
    Edwarda’s father, Joe O’Bara, and Kaye took care of their daughter — reading to her, playing her music, making sure she was turned every two hours, bathed, given insulin and given nourishment through a feeding tube — until their deaths in 1976 and 2008, respectively. After that, Edwarda’s sister Colleen O’Bara took over.

Kaye O'Bara talks with her daughter, Edwarda, in March, 1998. At that point, Edwarda had been in a coma for 29 years. Edwarda died Wednesday, outliving her mother by four years.

The family’s story inspired the 2001 book, "A Promise Is A Promise: An Almost Unbelievable Story of a Mother’s Unconditional Love and What It Can Teach Us" and a song called "My Blessed Child," and it prompted people from around the world to travel to her Florida home.
    "She taught me so much, and I’m talking about now, after she was in the coma," Colleen O’Bara told the Herald. "She taught me so much about unconditional love that I couldn’t say I had it before. She taught me about patience that I didn’t have before."
    In an announcement of Edwarda's death posted Thursday on a website dedicated to her, Colleen O'Bara wrote: "Yesterday while taking care of Edwarda I noticed her looking directly at me and gave me the biggest smile I had ever seen. She then closed her eyes and joined my Mom in Heaven."
    Edwarda O’Bara was 59. A memorial is schedu
    led for Tuesday.
    Yes
    11.11%
    No
    88.89%
    Depends if we were cool before they went in the coma
    0.00%

thats pretty long... fuk if you have the money why not? but then again,...

Comment

No that is crazy,it is hard to let go but being in a coma is no life at all

Comment

Sad but that's motherly love, stories like that always leave me speechless, a parent will do anything for their children..

Comment

Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by !! AI-Holmes!! View Post
            Sad but that's motherly love, stories like that always leave me speechless, a parent will do anything for their children..
            The truth!

Comment

I give them a year and if no improvements then I gotta pull the cord. They'd understand why I did it.

Comment

Sad but usually the inability to afford it often affects the decision on this. After the insurance runs out, no matter how much you love someone, people may have to decide to let them go. If you keep them on life support it might mean you have sell your house and go broke keeping them alive when they may already be gone and might never come to. It would be a hard decision.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  Sad but usually the inability to afford it often affects the decision on this. After the insurance runs out, no matter how much you love someone, people may have to decide to let them go. If you keep them on life support it might mean you have sell your house and go broke keeping them alive when they may already be gone and might never come to. It would be a hard decision.
                  When my mom was going in for her last operation, the Doctor told her that she had a 70% of making it.
                  She told us, "If it comes down to me being on life support, pull the plug, is time for me to go."
                  After the operation, that afternoon, she woke up, look around the room, smiled at everybody, we talk to her and she would move her head up and down for
                  "yes" and move her index finger for "no"

After about 1/2 hr. she closed her eyes to never open them again, the Doctors tried everything, the next day they told us that she was alive only because of the machines and for us to star thinking about pulling the plug, five minutes later, we honored my moms wishes..
                  It was hard to to tell the Doctors to do it but it was the best thing to do..

Comment

Originally posted by !! AI-Holmes!! View Post
                    When my mom was going in for her last operation, the Doctor told her that she had a 70% of making it.
                    She told us, "If it comes down to me being on life support, pull the plug, is time for me to go."
                    After the operation, that afternoon, she woke up, look around the room, smiled at everybody, we talk to her and she would move her head up and down for
                    "yes" and move her index finger for "no"

After about 1/2 hr. she closed her eyes to never open them again, the Doctors tried everything, the next day they told us that she was alive only because of the machines and for us to star thinking about pulling the plug, five minutes later, we honored my moms wishes..
                    It was hard to to tell the Doctors to do it but it was the best thing to do..
                    Damn, sorry to hear such a story. Those decision are hard to sleep on I bet.

Comment

Working...
                    X