No announcement yet.

The GJC memorial monster trivia.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
    Is number 15 Ray Robinson? He was 155 fights into his career before being stopped by Maxim.
    NO! Your off by more then a 100.

Comment

1:
      Name this guy:

Greg Hagen

2:
      Name the boxer who has fought in the most countries during his professional career.
      Eddie Perkins

01 - Argentina
      02 - Australia
      03 - Austria
      04 - Brazil
      05 - Canada
      06 - Chile
      07 - Colombia
      08 - Costa Rica
      09 - Denmark
      10 - Ecuador
      11 - France
      12 - Germany
      13 - Guyana
      14 - Italy
      15 - Jamaica
      16 - Japan
      17 - Mexico
      18 - Philippines
      19 - Puerto Rico
      20 - South Africa
      21 - Trinidad And Tobago
      22 - United Kingdom
      23 - United States
      24 – Venezuela

3:
      Name the fighter who has had the longest career.
      Jack Smith 1886 to 1926 if it's the same guy.
      This would depend on how you’re counting. If your counting from there 1st fight to there last, it would be Saoul Mamby (1969-2008). If your counting consecutive years, it’s Kid Azteca, 33 years (1929 - 1961). If you want to go back to the bare-knuckle days, Jem Mace fought from 1855 to 1890, Daniel Mendoza fought from 1786 to 1820. Tom Faulkner is said to have fought from 1756 to 1791. Also, some sources say that Bobby Dobbs fought from 1875 to 1914, which would match Mamby, but if this is true, he would have been 5 or 6 years old when he had his 1st fight..

4:
      Evander Holyfield has fought the most champions from a single weight division from recognized governing bodies (WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO) in 15. Who's second on the list?
      Everett "Bigfoot" Martin fought 14 different Heavyweight Champions

1. George Foreman
      2. Francesco Damiani
      3. James Smith
      4. Michael Moorer
      5. Riddick Bowe
      6. Tim Witherspoon
      7. Tony Tucker
      8. Larry Holmes
      9. Herbie Hide
      10. Tony Tubbs
      11. Wladimir Klitschko
      12. Lamon Brewster
      13. Siarhei Liakhovich
      14. Ruslan Chagaev

Mike Tyson fought 14 if you count Botha
      Tony Tubbs
      Tony Tucker
      Buster Douglas
      Frank Bruno
      Bruce Seldon
      Evander Holyfield
      Lennox Lewis
      Larry Holmes
      James Bonecrusher Smith
      Mike Spinks
      Pinklon Thomas
      Trevor Berbeck
      Brian Neilson
      Frans Botha - held it for short time until drug test results

5:
      Name the HW champion with the most consecutive knock-out wins.
      If your talking about KO wins not TKO, the answer is Primo Carnera with 14. If you’re talking about when they were the Heavyweight Champion, and counting TKO's then the answer is Tommy Burns & Larry Holmes, who both had 8.

6:
      Name the fighter who has beaten more IBHOF opponents than anybody else.
      Harry Greb 14 & Jimmy McLarnin with 13

Harry Greb - 14 - Kid Norfolk, Tunney, Levinsky, T.Gibbons, M. Gibbons, Dillon, Flowers, Rosenbloom, Slattery, Walker, Loughran, Billy Miske, Jack Blackburn & Leo Houck

Jimmy Mclarnin- 13 -Villa, LaBarba, Ambers, Canzoneri, Ross, Kaplan, Petrolle, Leonard, Young Corbett III, Bud Taylor, J. Fields, Mandell, Goldstein

7:
      Name the fighter who has squared of against the most IBHOF members.
      Jimmy McLarnin with 15

8:
      Name the fighter with the most consecutive losses.
      Ernie Smith lost 55 in a row from 2005 to 2009
      Alexandru Manea was 0-53. Peter Buckley once lost 47 fights in a row

9:
      Name the fighter with the most losses by KO.
      Simmie Black (97)

10:
      Who was the first to wear a gumshield?
      Ted Kid Lewis
      The "gum shield" was invented by London dentist Jack Marles in 1902. It was intended for use during training so a fighter wouldn't get injured before the fight. (It didn't seem important to protect his mouth during a bout, since the object was to inflict injury) It was more than 7 years before anyone used the gum shield on a regular basis, and that was English fighter Ted "Kid" Lewis (1909-29, 170-30-14). Lewis was twice welterweight champion, 1915-16 and 1917-19. Legend has it that Lewis had an overbite and his lips were often cut by his teeth, though pictures of him don't show any obvious overbite.

11:
      Who said "Just tell them he's belgian" and in what context?

12:
      Name the IBHOF'er with the most career losses.
      If you count Newspaper Decisions, Johnny Dundee had 74 loses.

13:
      Name the fighters who participated in the final championship fight scheduled for more than 15 rounds.
      Joe Louis and Abe Simon on March 21, 1941.

14:
      Who participated in the final championship fight that lasted more than 15 rounds?
      Mike McTigue beat Battling Siki in 20 rounds on March 17, 1923

15:
      Name the fighter who had had the most fights from the start of his career before being defeated by stoppage.
      Young Stribling (267)
      Last edited by hhascup; 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM.

Comment

# 3: Jack Smith (1886-1926)

# 6: Harry Greb (14)

# 8: Ernie Smith (55)

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
          # 3: Jack Smith (1886-1926)

# 6: Harry Greb (14)

# 8: Ernie Smith (55)
          With the name of Jack Smith, I'm not sure if this is the same guy for 40 years. On his record he fought Heavyweight Peter Maher and Bantamweight Jimmy Barry 4 months a part in 1891 & 1892. In 1912 he fought Heavyweight Gunboat Smith then 2 months later he fought Lightweight Italian Joe Gans. He also fought Light Heavyweight Tommy Loughran in 1924. I will put him in But again, I really don't know if this is the same fighter from 1886 to 1926.

I didn't count Leo Houck because he really isn't in the HOF until June, But we could include him anyway. I even voted for him.

Ernie Smith, I forgot about him. I was thinking about a Smith that had a long losing streak but I couldn't think of his 1st name.

I up-dated the answers to include all 3.
          Last edited by hhascup; 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

There were several Jack Smith's that fought out of New York City during that time. Here's list of them.

Jack Smith Irish Jack Smith - middleweight - 0-13(11)-1 - 1886-1926
            Jack Smith Irish Jack Smith - lightweight - 2(2)-10(8)-0 - 1906-1914
            Jack Smith --------------- featherweight - 6(2)-9(3)-4 - 1893-1902
            Jack Smith Yankee Jack Smith - heavyweight - 7(4)-5(2)-1 - 1927-1929
            Jack Smith --------------------------------- 3(3)-0-0 - 1921-1922
            Jack Smith ----------------------------------- 0-1-0 - 1915-1915
            Jack Smith --------------------------------- 0-1(1)-0 - 1924-1924

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
              With the name of Jack Smith, I'm not sure if this is the same guy. On his record he fought Bantamweight Jimmy Barry and Light Heavyweigt Tommy Loughran. In 1912 he fought Heavyweight Gunboat Smith then 2 months later he fought Lightweight Italian Joe Gans. I will put him in But again, I really don't know if this is the same fighter from 1886 to 1926.

I didn't count Leo Houck because he really isn't in the HOF until June, But we could include him anyway. I even voted for him.

Ernie Smith, I forgot about him. I was thinking about a Smith that had a long losing streak but I couldn't think of his 1st name.

I up-dated the answers to include all 3.
              You're right; whether it's the same Jack Smith in the first fight and the last, is of course impossible to say - and there certainly must have been a mix-up or two in between.

He's listed as a middleweight, so I suspect the 140½ lbs boxer who fought Italian Joe Gans more than 25 years into his career, isn't our man - and the boxer who met Peter Maher, can't possibly be the Jack Smith who fought tiny Jimmy Barry 3½ months later!

Comment

Working...
              X