Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The reason why 35 + year old boxers are still finding success in boxing is...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phook View Post
    nope but it makes you 10 years younger
    REALLY well il be damned there was me thinking steroids cut your life by 10 to 15 yrs , you must not know about all those wrestlers that died in there 30s and 40s through steroids

Comment

I think the old dogs just have a better work ethic. They didnt start out making tons of money and fighting on tv. They werent bred to be champs like alot of the kids these days. They didnt spend time getting into twitter wars or dicking around with facebook. They fought. They studied. They still do. The young kids do just enough to get by.

Comment

Originally posted by phook View Post
        its called steroids..
        This right here. Theres a reason why no fighters or promoters are pushing for better testing.

Too much money to be made.

If the sport really wanted better testing,

it could easily happen.

Comment

I think it's mostly improved fitness, nutrition and rehab techniques, like someone else said. Those of you saying steroids, you think steroids are gonna help someone like Hopkins? Sorry, but that's one sly old mother****er, his SKILL is what keeps him in the game, along with his dedication to his fitness and diet. Obviously there are guys benefitting from jucing, but I think fighters who rely more on their athletic ability, rather than boxing skill, would benefit from that. Unless they're taking something illegal for tissue repair, like James Toney did, then that's another thing.

Comment

It think it also has something to do with the number of fights today's fighters have when compared to the other generation's.

Henry armstrong had 180 fights and the guy retired in his early 30s.

Compare that to the average number of fights today's boxers have, and its obvious they fought less, thus receive less damage and are more logically able to fight longer.

Comment

I think you're onto something.....sadly

Comment

Well this is boxing, not olympic sprinting...

Skill and experience can overcome speed and youth sometimes..especially when the youth is flawed...

Seems like there were MORE quality fighters in the past then there is now......and of course guys fought more often back then and weren't written off after a loss or two...

Comment

35 years old is nothing new in boxing. There has been plenty of 35 year old boxers throughout the years that had good success. As for 40 and above, you act like boxing is swarming with these guys. You got Glenn Johnson, BHOP, Klitchsko and maybe a few others but that's it. I see no difference in these few than any other era in terms of quantity. It's a select few that make it into their 40s and stay competitive.

Comment

A lot of the guys that are still fighting at 35 + and doing good things are guys that didn't peak until their late 20's and who keep
                    in shape between fights.

Comment

advances in sport science and nutrition mean that older boxers can recover from hard training sessions. better physiotherapy mean that old re-occuring injuries are contained and do not become a hindrance.

making better lifestyle choices e.g. diet, nutrition, regular exercise no alcohol, **** etc are also a key part in lenthening a boxers career.

all this means that boxers are now lengthening their careers, and are stil physically in good enough shap to fight in their mid/late thirties.

Comment

Working...
                      X