No announcement yet.

Is there such thing as a Lucky Punch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
    ...the same punch that finished Pacman in the 6th did not look like that, Marquez was LUCKY that Pacquaio was reckless, and created the perfect opportunity that JMM exploited. Marquez didnt set up any traps, didnt feint Pac into coming forward, didn't do anything to set that punch up..he got lucky that the opportunity presented itself.

Knockouts that I dont consider luck for comparison purposes:

Shane Mosley vs Ricardo Mayorga
    Tommy Hearns vs Roberto Duran
    Rocky Marciano vs Jersey Joe Walcott
    Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton
    In some respect I agree, but not at all with the bolded. You completely contradicted yourself with it. By your own definition and admission, Pac didn't set up the Hatton KO. Hatton walked in with his hands down, he started to throw a jab, dropped his right hand down to his waist and Pac took advantage of the opportunity, countered him and knocked him cold. That's what you call luck.

Just the same, Pac walked in against Marquez, threw a jab, which Marquez slipped and countered with a perfectly timed right hand on the button. If that was lucky, then Pac's was just as lucky.
    Last edited by BennyST; 12-10-2012, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• If you really want to break it down and call this lucky, then you can pretty much say every knockout punch ever was lucky. After all, fighters can't predict how their opponent will react to a punch, they aren't psychic.

If you're going to call this lucky, then every knockout is lucky.

Comment

• No, there isn't.

This sport is called BOXING.

The sole objective is to throw punches that do damage. If you land one, and it hurts your opponent to the extent they can't continue, it's not lucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          No, there isn't.

This sport is called BOXING.

The sole objective is to throw punches that do damage. If you land one, and it hurts your opponent to the extent they can't continue, it's not lucky.
          That's exactly what I was saying back when Garcia KO'd Khan. Every punch in a boxing ring is thrown with one purpose or intention and that's to hurt your opponent.

Comment

• I don't really believe in a lucky punch in boxing, in sport you can define luck by intent. Like in football (soccer) if you cross the ball in to the box with the intent to find another player but the cross is so bad that it ends up in the top corner of the goal that's luck because the intent wasn't to score. But in boxing you are allways aiming to hit your opponent's head or body, if you catch em on the sweet spot with enough force then out they go, great shot.

Comment

• You need a certain amount of luck for every punch you land in boxing. What a stupid thread.

Comment

• Yes there is such a thing as a lucky punch. Every sport has luck. I mean if pitchers could control pitches and batters could hit towards the field they wanted to there then there wouldnt be the use of luck.

Its not skill when you throw a hail mary and your receiver just happens to catch it in a pile of players.

Maybe the punch itself was not lucky, but the fact that Pacquiao made the mistake of running into it and it was enough to put him to sleep.

Comment

• I'll bite on this thread. The one thing the starter failed to mention in favour of focusing on how he thought the fight was panning out, is that Marquez took advantage of something Pacquiao does over and over again. That's punch while stepping in simultaneously. He also repeatedly lunges. I saw an analysis on Pacman and his supposed improvement. He does this three punch "right-left-right" combo while running forwards. He did it to Cotto and landed but had tried it on Marquez in '08 and didn't but nearly got knocked down. Marquez didn't need to set anything up. He created the perfect distance with a little shuffle back, waited Manny's habitual lunge starting with right (where he also drops his left before firing everyday time), then instead stepping back or the side, he stepped forward and delivered the overland right. Nothing lucky about.

If you're going to talk about circumstance, then you might as well bring up the fact they both made it to the ring at the same time as there was no guarantee for that either. The fact is, Marquez knows Pacquiao better than any opponent and knows his habits. He knows Pac responds to feints which is hobble dropped him the first time. He knows Pacquiao lunges and dropped him again. It was experience, study and the uncanny timing amd ability to take advantage of an opportunity as only a great boxer can. The fact that Pac stumbled is unfortunate for him as it might have changed the effect of the punch. But nothing about the delivery(as it happened AFTER Pacquiao makes his move) can be associated with luck.

Are there lucky punches? For me a punch can only be described as lucky if it's thrown without any remote idea of where your opponent is, ie. in the dark. Those seeking solace about this fight should do it elsewhere.

Comment

• the only time you could say there was a lucky punch would be when a guy is blindly swinging wildly to just try and connect with anything and boom one of those wild haymakers connects.

you could make the argument that even that wasn't lucky because it could be part of the guys strategy to just overwhelm other guy with lots of punches not caring where/how they are thrown

marquez punch against pacquiao was 100% skill, 0% luck. i guess you could say it was lucky that pac came charging in blindly with his hands down, but the punch itself was perfect.

Comment

• Luck is when preparation & opportunity meet??

I'm guessing you get your logic from fortune cookies right.
                      luck is NOT when preparation meets opportunity.
                      Do you prepare to win the lottery too?

I believe in lucky punches like when danny garcia knocked out khan with his eyes closed. THAT was luck.
                      JMM knocking out PAC wan no lucky punch.

Comment

Working...
                      X