No announcement yet.

first day at gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flagrl View Post
    i was just wondering the gym doesnt have the best jump ropes and i was wondering if its ok to bring my own jump rope.
    I would say....absolutly

Comment

First thing I was shown was foot work... learning to walk forward, back ward, and side to side without crossing over your feet.. maintaining balance at all times... from there I was taught how to step with a jab, move back back with a jab.. dide that **** for a weeeeeeeeek until it was second nature.

That's just how it had to be... everything has to be natural.. when you're in the ring, you cant be thinking about your feet when someone is swinging at you, you just have to "know"

Take everything slowly.. its the best way.

Stamina is the most important thing off the bat... Jump rope and run as often and as long as you can.

Lacking skills but good stamina > good skills but no stamina.

Comment

yea he showed me my stance. and there was a circle in the gym and he told me to slide around it but keep my feet the appropraite distance from each other and also how to step with the jab. im planning on practising everyday. i wish i had a full mirror here. i might get one this weekend.

Comment

A bad habit to not follow into.

After throwing a punch, make sure you bring your fist right back to your chin... don't drop your hand and then bring it back... throw the punch and bring it straight back to your chin.

Bringing your hand back is just as, if not more important than actually throwing the punch.. that's your defense.

Comment

yea yesterday i had a problem with that on the heavy bag once my arms were getting tired. i also had a problem with stiffining my back leg my coach said.

Comment

Originally posted by kbpoetree View Post
              NO....no need to get on the speed bag yet....everyone wants to learn everything in a day...that pisses lot of trainers off...get the basics down first...the Jab...and mayb the right...hell i know pro's whom started off for 3 months str8 in a mirror for the whole time in slow motion goin over the jab...after those 3 months..they got to throw the right hand for 3 more months....ONLY after that did they get to really start...most of us trainers like said...see people come and go quickly...its not till we see dedication that we are going to waste our precious time helping one.....so stick w the basics in the mirror...dont act as if its boring....practice the perfection on those one or two punches...
              If I'm the one training you, you will not throw one punch for months and that's no joke. You will learn to walk and move while getting in the best shape of your life.

Then learn to pivot, move with speed and quickness and then learn defense.

Punching come last, way last.

Everything starts from the ground up, if you don't have balance you have nothing. Nothing is worse than seeing a kid a few weeks in a gym or days for that matter already hitting the speed bag, doing the shoulder roll or thinking he can box like Mayweather.

It's amazing how many times I have seen this in the different gyms I have been in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                If I'm the one training you, you will not throw one punch for months and that's no joke. You will learn to walk and move while getting in the best shape of your life.

Everything starts from the ground up, if you don't have balance you have nothing. Nothing is worse than seeing a kid a few weeks in a gym or days for that matter already hitting the speed bag, doing the shoulder roll or thinking he can box like Mayweather.

It's amazing how many times I have seen this in the different gyms I have been in here.
                Yeah same here... although we don't go months, but it's the same mentality... punching comes last... footwork, pivoting, lateral, head movement, and STAMINA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post

didnt say thats the way i do it tho so dont quote me as that is MY training ideas lol...jus said i know some pro's whom thats all they got to do...I usually start off teaching the jab then footwork there is def no harm in putting both together early...as always a good jab makes a fight easy...i dont believe in ignoring the jab for footwork..both together..

Comment

I remember my first day my trainer worked the **** out of me. Running, pushups, situps, circuits... luckily at that time i was in decent shape so it wasnt too bad, but I was still sore as hell the next day. I just happened to join the day he was doing conditioning so I got thrown into that right away lol.

Then the next couple weeks he taught me form, stance, footwork and all of that. we worked on the heavy bags and jump roping and stuff. He already had me sparring after like 2 or 3 weeks of me being in there, with another new guy though. His belief is that you wont really be able to get better until you actually are in a ring and and can relate the training with the situation.
                    Last edited by Danny Gunz; 02-08-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X