Collapse
No announcement yet.

Respect appreciation thread for maravilla

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sergio is a class act. One of my favorite fighters over the years. Last night was tough to watch but he did what he set out to do, become the wbc middleweight champion of the world (twice).

Comment

Yeah man, it sucks to see him go out like this but he did have a great career, regardless of what some people might say about him, he was a terrific boxer. Like Jones though, his style was based around his athletic abilities and with bad knees, he just can't get it done. Taking absolutely nothing away from Cotto because I was highly impressed with his countering, speed, reflexes, ability to take a punch. I hope that Sergio can still have a role in boxing maybe as a commentator or something because he is a class act and a great representative of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        I think he's a great fighter and loved watching his fights. With that said, he should have never gotten in the ring in this condition. Shameful. Tells me he just wanted the check. Fker was stumbling without even getting his, his knees were so bad.
        That was the part that got to me. He was stumbling into the ropes just stepping back trying to avoid a punch and a dude that was over here was like "Man, I know Martinez is your boy and all but he doesn't even look like he should be in the ring right now."

This guy isn't a big boxing fan at all either. If he picks up on that immediately, then you know it's bad.

Comment

hated to see him go out like that but that's the nature of the sport.

Comment

A lot of heart, didn't quit. Hate to see him lose this way. He just didn't look healthy to me.

Comment

Much love and respect to Sergio! Guy was a great champion! A late bloomer that showed that anything was possible. Glad he had the chance to get that last fight he had in Argentina in front of his countrymen, I wish that could have been his last fight, and he had gone out on top like that. Oh well, can't blame him for getting that last 2 million in before heading out. Best wishes to him and the rest of his life.

Comment

A terrific boxer, one of my absolute favorite guys to watch and learn from. He carried himself like a champion in and out of the ring. The moment I realized the man would go out on his stool a small light switched off inside of me and I became somewhat disturbed by the fact that this was it, the last time we'd see Martinez defend his world title against all odds. Respect from the bottom of my heart champ.
                Last edited by Hyper Knuckles; 06-09-2014, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I have much respect for Martinez and how he handled this defeat. He handled this defeat better than half this board did.

So much respect for taking his L like the champion he is.

No shame in his career.

Comment

Bought my wife a Maravilla tshirt. I love that guy. Never saw him fight til the Williams I fight. I was a fan that night. I love the energy the Argentine fighters have been bringing the last few years. Sergio is one of my fav's! War La Machina!

Comment

Pretty much what everybody else said. A true champion inside and outside of the ring. Gave us lots of good fights and memorable moments. Sucks to see him lose like that but at least it was to another great fighter. There's really no shame in that.

I just hope he decides to retire now and when his time comes, I hope they stamp his ballot for the HOF...

War Martinez!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X