Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't Gene Tunney be the GOAT?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunney is an ATG but fighting in an era where you never fight any black fighters drops him on my list.

Comment

I think he could qualify as the GOAT. Greb's health at the time of some of their fights is the only thing that can really be held against him.

Getting dropped by Dempsey is no big deal. Ali got dropped by Henry Cooper and that doesn't seem to hurt his ranking any.

Comment

actually, one can make a case for tunney being the best heavyweight ever. technically, he was the best boxer in that division. i see no reason why he could not have beaten johnson, louis, ali. the one problem was dempsey probably would have had a ko win if he went to the corner as if tunney got up dempsey would have pickled him. still, tunney may have been the best heavyweight ever.

Comment

Originally posted by louis54
          actually, one can make a case for tunney being the best heavyweight ever. technically, he was the best boxer in that division. i see no reason why he could not have beaten johnson, louis, ali. the one problem was dempsey probably would have had a ko win if he went to the corner as if tunney got up dempsey would have pickled him. still, tunney may have been the best heavyweight ever.
          He only had 7 fights there.

Not usually best heavyweight material

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

GOAT not in terms of resume, but in terms of having the skills to potentially beat any other heavyweight champion that came before or after him.

A case can definitely be made for him.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              GOAT not in terms of resume, but in terms of having the skills to potentially beat any other heavyweight champion that came before or after him.

It would be a weak case. There is nothing on Tunney's resume that makes a case for him beating every heavyweight champion in history.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

Tunney would be a match for any light heavyweight champion in history.

Not so much at heavyweight.

Comment

Tunney was a fascinating fighter. Not only because of his ace boxing ability. But also his intelligence. He was very well read and articulate. Only rivaled by the Klitschko brothers or Marciano in terms of being one of the most astute boxers in history. He studied his opponents in a way Joe Louis could only dream of. He retired with his means and his brain which is more than you can say for most fighters. He didn't end up trembling and wheelchair ridden like Ali. Or sickly with nothing in the bank account like Joe Frazier or Louis. Tunney had the intelligence to get things done in the ring and out of it.

I have no objections to Tunney being recognized as the greatest. He certainly has more claim to it than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Machine View Post
                    Tunney was a fascinating fighter. Not only because of his ace boxing ability. But also his intelligence. He was very well read and articulate. Only rivaled by the Klitschko brothers or Marciano in terms of being one of the most astute boxers in history.
                    Along with Bobby Czyz (Member of Mensa), Marco Barrera, Audley Harrison, Bonecrusher Smith, Vernon Forrest, Juanma Marquez etc.

There's plenty of boxers who have great educational backgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                      Along with Bobby Czyz (Member of Mensa), Marco Barrera, Audley Harrison, Bonecrusher Smith, Vernon Forrest, Juanma Marquez etc.

There's plenty of boxers who have great educational backgrounds.
                      I'll give you Czyz. However, one look at the dread locked Audley Harrison makes the claim that he's intelligent laughable. Vernon Forrest was a rogue from most of the accounts I've been given. Bonecrusher Smith? I seriously doubt that. I can't see him as intelligent when compared to Gene Tunney. I'm not sure about the others so I'll take your word for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X