No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Credits Chavez Sr. For His Son's Rise in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Arum Credits Chavez Sr. For His Son's Rise in Boxing

NEW YORK — Bob Arum made sure to present Julio Cesar Chavez with a cake commemorating his 50th birthday when the press tour for his son’s career-defining fight stopped in Manhattan last week. Arum also gave Mexico’s most famous fighter a lot of credit for helping Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. become the type of middleweight the Hall-of-Fame promoter could match against Sergio Martinez without worrying that he’d be embarrassed. That couldn’t have happened a couple years ago, when the younger Chavez couldn’t be trusted to train properly and the elder Chavez couldn’t be counted upon to help his son change the bad habits that prohibited him from reaching his potential.

[Click Here To Read More]

Yup, his son's rise is only because of his father.

Comment

In all fairness Roach can train fighters like Chavez. Who is purely come forward with a granite chin. Roach is not the best coach for chinny relatively soft fighters.

Comment

Chavez Sr. and the rest of his team are responsible for what you see today (along with Ariza)--not Freddie Roach. Chavez doesn't even fight like a Roach fighter and that's because Roach's time away forced other people to step up into head positions during camp, like Julio Sr (who his son fights like).

Comment

Chavez Sr didn't want a crappy birthday cake. He wanted what every other true Latino wants....tickets to the Alvarez-Lopez fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hanson View Post
            Chavez Sr didn't want a crappy birthday cake. He wanted what every other true Latino wants....tickets to the Alvarez-Lopez fight.
            He probably needed toilet paper because that's the only good use I can think for it

Comment

That's actually the reason I don't like chaves jr. I feel like He's been pimping out his dads name instead of making a name of his own. If he wasn't the son of a legend would we really be this hyped over the martinez fight?

Comment

Actually, more credit should be given to the Texas boxing commission.

Comment

Yes his father has stepped up and trained Jr most recently and you can see the difference.

Comment

Roach didn't do **** last fight except for being the last week with Chavez and cornering him. You could see Chavez Jr. was fighting alike last his dad against Lee. I don't think it's gonna be enough vs Martinez though.

Comment

Working...
                    X