No announcement yet.

RIP Goody Petronelli.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Goody Petronelli.

Legendary boxing trainer Goody Petronelli, a Brockton native who trained a string of professional boxers including Marvelous Marvin Hagler, has died, his son said Monday.
    David Petronelli of Middleboro said his father died early Sunday morning at his home in Sagamore, presumably of natural causes. He was 88.
    Having been involved in boxing for seven decades, Goody is most known for training and then working the corner for middleweight champion Hagler.
    He became an amateur and professional fighter during the 1930s and 1940s, was a boxing trainer while serving in the Navy, opened a gym in downtown Brockton with his brother, Pat, in 1969, and helped Hagler rule the world middleweight division for 6 years.
    His death followed a string of changes that Petronelli dealt with in recent months, his son said.
    One of them was the death of his wife of 70 years, Marian J. Pat (Gorman) Petronelli, in October, he said.
    “You could see it in his eyes. He was hurting. He just loved that woman,” his son said.
    In September, he lost his brother, Pat Petronelli, who died at 89 following a period of failing health.

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/x7...lli-dead-at-88

RIP to the last of the great duo.

R.I.P Goody, both brothers were highly competitive people and were no nonsense boxing people too. I worked opposite corners against them a few times and if they had one of their personal fighters boxing that night you knew he was in shape and came to fight, or they wouldn't be there. They did it THEIR way!! Liked them both! Ray

Comment

I met both Goody and Pat in the late 80's, early 90's when they called my trainer looking for sparring for a middleweight. When we got there it was Stevie Collins!

RIP.

Comment

That's too bad, RIP!

Comment

Legendary boxing trainer Goody Petronelli..I liked them both!

Comment

I remember the name by association with Hagler but never knew much more about them than that. I was always interested in how Hagler was trained and his background and it is still a mystery to me but these Petronellis must have been good.

Comment

Working...
            X