Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali/Liston II, phantom punch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a real punch and a real preexisting injury.

ThePhantom5 has spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
      ali punch landed alot harder than vitali did with his punch..solis legitimently hurt his kness..liston just didnt wanna fight
      How have you come to that conclusion?

Comment

Originally posted by RFPROBOX View Post
        I saw it the same way. I'm a Vitali fan and still think he would have won if it didn't happen. And I wanted him to crush Solis. But this "win" by Vitali was nothing to brag about. Some of his other fans are being irrational about it. It's unfinished business as far as I'm concerned. It is what it is. I I hope they fight again so Vitali can beat him with no excuses from Solis.
        That is perhaps the most sensible thing I've heard from anyone calling themselves a Klitschko fan. I consider the K brothers real professionals and decent men. I was half-heartedly rooting for Solis, only because he's Cuban. I consider "SpongeBob" a lazy, somewhat arrogant guy that doesn't really respect his sport.

Vitali would most likely have won this match-up anyway. But, as it turns out, that glancing blow to the top of Solis's head is unconvincing. It looks like Solis has a pre-existing knee injury. It was apparently aggravated by putting weight on it as he backed away from Vitali after the punch. I'd say "unfinished business" is a good way of putting it. I would love to see a rematch, but "SpongeBob" doesn't deserve it. He never really did.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Ali's punch landed cleaner and harder than Vitali's. If it wasn't a dive, I think Liston could have continued but knew he would have been in for a beating, so he stayed down.
          Agreed. Ali landed hard and fast, but it probably wasn't enough to KO a guy like Liston. I believe Liston took a dive. As to why, your theory is as good as any.

Vitali's punch just didn't land well enough, nor in a vulnerable enough spot, to discombobulate Solis. The slo-mo GIF is very clear. The punch landed near the top of Solis's head, well above the temple.

Comment

The knockdown may have been legit, but Ali himself said he thought Liston should have been able to get up from it. No one, not even Ali, and truly deny that Liston threw the fight, but considering how the first fight went, I think Ali made his point

Comment

I read that Solis had a knee injury going into the fight, i guess it just gave out on him.

Comment

How was this a Phantom punch

You can practically see the muscle in listons back muscles wobble from the punch that landed

Comment

Working...
                X