• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao warned to beware of hatton!

Manny warned to beware of Hatton
    By Joaquin Henson Updated February 05, 2009 12:00 AM

Chris John

| Zoom
    JAKARTA – WBA featherweight champion and Indonesian icon Chris John cautioned the other day Manny Pacquiao not to take Ricky Hatton lightly when they face off in Las Vegas on May 2.

“This is a difficult fight for Pacquiao,” said John who left here yesterday for the US where he is set to stake his crown against Rocky Juarez on Feb. 28. “I’m a Pacquiao fan and I want him to win. But I don’t think he’s ever fought anyone like Hatton before.”

John hesitated to predict the outcome, safely saying it’s a 50-50 proposition, but if Pacquiao fights like he did against Oscar de la Hoya last December, the unbeaten titleholder is convinced the Filipino will beat Hatton.

John’s Australian manager and trainer Craig Christian, however, boldly picked Hatton to stop Pacquiao.

“Hatton is one of the dirtiest fighters out there,” said Christian who took over John’s stewardship from Sutan Rambing before his third defense against Derrick Gainer four years ago. “He’ll rough up Pacquiao or try to for sure. He’ll use the same brawling tactics that led to the knockout over Kostya Tzsyu. I think Hatton is too strong for Pacquiao at junior welterweight. It’ll be an action-packed fight because I don’t expect Pacquiao to back off.”

Christian advised Pacquiao’s handlers to expose Hatton’s dirty tactics before the fight to put the referee – whomever he is – on alert.

As for John, Christian said the fight against Juarez will define his future.

“I’ve told Chris what’s at stake,” Christian, owner of Harry’s Gym in Perth noted. “If he loses, it’s back to fighting in Indonesia for promoters paying $500 for a 12-rounder. If he wins, it’s sky’s the limit. We’re not looking past Juarez who’s a quality boxer. But we’re lining up Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez at featherweight next then it’ll be Juan Manuel Marquez in a rematch and if he’s interested to fight, Pacquiao.”

It will be John’s US debut and the 1997 Southeast Asian Games wushu gold medalist said he’s ready for the invasion.

“I’m excited to fight in the US,” said John who turned pro in 1998 and has compiled a 42-0-1 record, with 22 KOs. “I’ve fought in Japan and Australia but no other country, except of course, Indonesia. I want to show the world what I can do and there’s no better place than to do it in the US.”

John will take on Juarez in the undercard of Juan Manuel Marquez’ IBO lightweight title defense against Juan Diaz in Houston.

In 2006, John outpointed Marquez in his fifth title defense. Two points were deducted from Marquez’ scores for low blows but even without the penalties, John would’ve won the decision as Oscar Perez saw it 116-110, Takeshi Shimakawa, 117-111, and Pinit Prayadsab, 116-112.

John is one of only four fighters, including Pacquiao, to defeat Marquez.

“To beat Juarez, Chris will stand his ground and engage,” said Christian. “We won’t fight Juarez’ fight. We know he’s a boxer who moves in and out. In his last two bouts, Chris has become more of a fighter than a boxer.”

John said he’s prepared to do what it takes to repulse Juarez.

“There’s a lot of pressure on me to win,” he admitted. “But I’m used to the pressure. I’m Indonesia’s only world champion and my countrymen are banking on me to make them proud. I’m proud, too, to fight for my country.”

John, 29, spent a month training for Juarez with Christian and assistant trainer Bob Vidonowski in Perth then returned to Jakarta last week to be with his wife and two daughters before the trip to the US.

A former wushu practitioner, John said the Chinese martial art has sharpened his boxing skills. Aside from the gold medal he won in 1997, John took the bronze, also in wushu, at the 2001 SEA Games.

“Wushu helped me become more agile,” said John, quoted by writer Scott Mallon in Boxing 2007 Magazine. “More flexible. It helps my boxing.”

The meeting with John was arranged by East Timor matchmaker and Go Sport newspaper writer Martinez dos Santos who manages former IBF minimumweight champion Muhammad Rachman.

john's trainer is correct, hatton will wrestle his way to victory

Comment

Chris John a fan of Pac!

Comment

once again the hype train..Pacquiao kills hatton

Comment

Of course he should beware, he isn't fighting a tomato can you know

Comment

Nothing to worry about. Pac will dominate Hatton!! I'll guarantee it!!!

Comment

Is Zzolt Erdei gonna give his opion on what Hatton should do next.

Comment

Working...
              X