"Miscorsoft Tech Support" phonecall scam

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Miscorsoft Tech Support" phonecall scam

Anyone had one?

I just got of the phone with Wazza's uncle who called me up saying he was from Microsoft Tech support or something like that and my windows had been flagged on his machine as having a serious virus that needed instant attention or the world would end or something equally as drastic. He quoted my name and address and all the usual bollocks (but couldn't tell me what version of windows i had for some strange reason) so I knew he was a genuine bloke/able to read the phone book.

So I played along for a minute or two so i could find out exactly what the scam was. He got me to open up a random folder that had loads or "errors" in it in manage my computer. This was the massive issue this fine upstanding memeber of Wazzas family was going to help me to fix.

So he directed me to a website which i typed into Google instead of the address bar to see how common this scam is and so i could figure out where it was going so i could play along a bit more. (www.windowsonlinecare.com)
    He was trying to get me to run some software from the website to install something, "no problem, i've got dial up though so it'll take a while" i said lying while reading all the webpages about the scam.

Apparently the cheeky ****er wanted me to give him remote access to my computer, then direct me to payal to not only give him his small well earned fee but to also get all my paypal/bank information on his screen while i done it.

I got bored then, told him his nephew's bf cheated McCloskey and if he'd any balls he'd remtach Maidana and Prescott. Which strangley seemed to confuse him. then i hung up.

I gotta say, this scam is a big step up from winning the Nigerian lottery (they still havent sent the cheque yet the ****s). Im willing to bet they've caught a few people out, even if they didnt convince them to paypal the money they still would've got access to quite a few machines.

Best phone scam Ive had yet tbh. If it wasnt for my immediete reaction of "ffs" when i heard the accent he might have had me going. I doubt it, but maybe (if i had just gotten out of bed)

Apparently its been going on for a year or 2, anyone had a call yet?
    Last edited by gingeralbino; 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM.

These lowlifes are everywhere. You'd think the amount of thought and time they put into the scams they could do equally well financially getting a 9-5, without the risk of jail and all..

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eer-greed.html

Comment

Ha I love these call! I had fun with them. "Oh, what network did you notice my computer was running slow on? I see. And where do you work from? Oh OK. Tell me again how you got this information about my slow computer..."

It has to be tough to be a legit salesperson though. I got a call from someone saying they were from an alarm company the other day and started asking me about my home alarm system. I said "I'm not about to start divulging information about my home alarm system to a stranger on the phone!"

Comment

lol at wazaa's uncle

Comment

Working...
          X